Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times

Advertisements

From my perspective, over the past five years, I have noticed that there has been a significant increase in the number of automobiles out on the road that either have no license plate at all, OR a plate that is partially obscured by a tinted cover or total lack of illumination (bulbs burnt out and not replaced).

At first I suspected that it was just in the town I live in due to lax enforcement policy, but I just got back from a cross-country road trip and noticed it in multiple states.

I used to live in Austin, Texas, and in the 35 years I lived there, I was pulled over a couple of times for a dim or burnt out lightbulb above my rear license plate.

But nowadays, seems like LE doesn't enforce this much anymore. So many cars with NO PLATES?!

Sometimes there is a paper plate in the window, but the windows are often too tinted to see them.

Anyone else notice this trend lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 12:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have not noticed a trend in obscured plates at all, in fact around here the police and state patrol like to collect revenue so they do enforce the laws requiring two plates, front and back, with no coverings.

As for the new cars with paper in the windows, yes, more cars than ever have privacy glass to prevent break-ins by obscuring views of what's in the back, and you cannot read the temporary paper plates. In fact, it's hard to see that there is even one in there. Law enforcement is well aware of that and not likely to stop someone whose rear shows a dealer advertisement instead of a plate unless they do something wrong.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:17 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Increased traffic/speeding cameras= more license plate shenanigans

Old 07-22-2021, 03:10 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
I live in the Milwaukee area. Every single time I'm out and about, I notice at least a couple of cars with no plate at all, not even a paper one in the window. In addition, I also notice at least a couple of cars with tinted plate covers that greatly obscure the letters/numbers. Every single time. AND during my recent road trip to Louisiana and back, same thing.

In Texas, where I'm from, you have to have front and back and they must be not obscured in the least.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:33 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
You'd get pulled over right away in California. There is no tax they are going to miss.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:48 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Missing or obscured rear license plates= $$$$ in fine. Just wait till caught.

Old 07-23-2021, 12:33 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Obscured license plates, what are you hiding from. Just means you're a lawbreaker and gets the attention of the police.
In our area you do get cited and in some case vehicle gets towed to a holding area.

Old 07-23-2021, 01:13 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Obscured license plates, what are you hiding from. Just means you're a lawbreaker and gets the attention of the police.
In our area you do get cited and in some case vehicle gets towed to a holding area.
+1
In my town, they periodically park a police car with 4 license plate readers (one at each corner of the vehicle) at the various entry points to town. The type of tactic mentioned by the OP would result in a summons very quickly around here, and it is likely that the vehicle would be impounded.

Old 07-23-2021, 02:09 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I've noticed a number of expired out-of-state plates.

One was a disabled plate; the car was driven and parked in a disabled spot every Friday afternoon by a guy who marched around protesting something. For over a year. California, why did you let him get away with that?

Another was from Michigan, expired for TEN YEARS, parked in various places around Hilo, Hawaii.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:11 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Where do people live that these violations are not enforced? I spend time at houses in CT, FL, KS, and CO -- and all of them have strict vehicle code enforcement.

My town in FL reads every license plate coming and leaving. Stolen cars are pulled over within minutes. The town in KS with 2000 homes has four police cruisers going at all times, they follow almost every car coming in from the large city next door. Here in a Colorado mountain town, the police are only slightly less strict -- but they are prowling nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive