Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 09:04 PM

15,486 posts, read 7,529,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You know, it wasn't long ago that gas as $2.50 and stayed that low for years. Now it's $4. Who gets the extra money? Is anybody making money or everybody just passes the extra cost to others?
The oil producers get most of the extra money. Refiners may get some, but the two don't correlate. States with sales tax on gas get some too. As do states with severance taxes. California doesn't ahve severance taxes, which I always thought was strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 09:20 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The other Walmart Neighborhood Market……………………………………†¦.$2.78 9/10

The next day….10/4…Yesterday….I was working on my PC and I notice on the ticker at the bottom of the TV screen a notice about a meeting (OPEC, IIRC) re cutting production in order to raise prices. I needed gas at some point that day, and that blurb prompted me to think about getting gas right then.

i drove to the independent station that was $2.72 9/10 the day before…………….raised to $2.86 9/10.
Then to the Circle K that was $2.76 9/10 the day before…………………………………...ra ised to $2.99 9/10
Then to the Walmart (across from Circle K)..also $2.76 9/10 the day before……raised to $2.85 9/10
Then to the Walmart Neighborhood Market that was $2.77 9/10 the day before…….and it was still $2.77 9/10…so I got gas there for $2.77 9/10 per gallon.

I did two errands right after that.

Then later, I drove from my GF’s place to my house (a different part of the metro). Along the way, I noticed a number of stations at $3.09 9/10, but I also noticed two stations that are normally very high were priced at $2.75 9/10.

On the way back, after having burned about 1.5 gallons since getting gas earlier in the day, I got three gallons at one of those two stations at $2.75 9/10.

After 9/9….

On 9/11 I got gas at the ‘independent station from paragraph 5’ and paid $2.86 9/10.

On 9/21 I got gas at an HEB (on the route to my house) and paid $2.81 9/10.

And after those….the $2.77 9/10 and $2.75 9/10 I paid yesterday (10/4/22).

The gas I got yesterday may be the last tank for a bit that = under $3.00 per gallon…….we’ll see.
All of post #46 (including the part that is cut off from the display to everyone else in post #46) displays to me when I'm logged in and quoting the post.

I edited the quote to serve to display the rest of that post for post #49, and that displayed correctly. Now, for some reason, all of the rest of that, except for one line, is gone, so now I'm doing that again so that the rest of post #46 (quoted above) can display.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:03 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,771,219 times
We were almost down close to 3.00 again, but nope, now it's 4.00. It shot up quick.
Ouch.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:46 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,388,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by done working View Post
Just wait till the politicians see how much they are losing on EVs and come registration time you will be bent over.
Really not close to "bent over" - Ca has a $25 to $175 additional fee for EVs based on value. With the CA portion of gas tax at $0.539/gal - at the highest rate of $175 that is equivalent to 325 gallons so if average 24 mpg - is just under 8000 miles of gas tax. At $25 it would be like paying the gas tax for about 1000 miles.

But CA adds a lot of other taxes and fees - these are the total CA taxes and fees on each gallon;
Federal Excise Tax: 18 cents per gallon
State Excise Tax: 54 cents per gallon
Sales Tax: 12 cents per gallon
Low Carbon Gas Fee: 22 cents per gallon
Greenhouse Gas Fee: 15 cents per gallon
Underground Tank Storage Fee: 2 cents per gallon
= total $1.23 per gallon of gas - This is part of the reason that CA is still over $6 per gallon.

If you use the total tax on a gallon in CA of $1.23/gal (varies some based on sales tax) - the $175 is equivalent to the tax and fees on 142 gallons or about 3400 miles of travel - the EV fee even at max is much less than these gas taxes for most.

But, I pay over 100x more to CA in taxes than these fees on 3 EVs - the EV fees are small potatoes in comparison.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:39 AM

4,617 posts, read 3,312,097 times
OPEC just met and voted to cut production. So prices will be shooting up again.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:00 PM

880 posts, read 566,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
'Everyperson price' (not tied to any 'cents off' price/reward....other than FF miles on my CC (paid off each month) like any other purchase (my cc = same number of miles for purhases/intensity of reward not stratified/not different re type of actual purdhase).

Walmart at Fry Rd & West Little York (Walmart = same price for cash and credit) in the Houston metro.

As the fake Mars Tourist lady says in the movie Total Recall when Arnold removes the robot head...

"Get ready for a surprise!!!"

OPEC+ ... just issued guidance to cut oil production by 2 million barrels a day worldwide, starting November 1st.

USA ... won't get into why we are in the problems that we're in, but the reason why gas is even moderately more reasonable right now is because OPEC had been putting another 500k of barrels into the market, AND... the current administration is pumping the market with an additional 1 million barrels of oil a day. This ends on October 28th (this oil goes to the international market, not just the US for some reason).

Consider the two items above... not only will we see a loss of 2 million barrels, but we'll also see an additional loss of 1 million barrels a day. That means there will be a deficit of 3 million barrels a day.

An additional concern. We cannot also continue to dump more oil from the strategic reserves because the President will no longer have emergency powers authority, because Congress will not grant it, and they cannot release strategic reserves without an emergency. Even if the current COVID-19 emergency powers were extended... there actually isn't any more oil in the strategic reserves to give.

By October 28th, we'll have hit 40 year lows, and dropped below the critical emergency threshold where it actually puts the country in a national security risk (if we were invaded, we would have no fuel to power our tanks, trucks, logistics, etc.). So you should not count on any additional reserves being released, despite some of the news sites saying this.

FURTHERMORE... it gets worse because the fact that we are so low, means that we will likely have to buy back oil for our strategic reserve... which will mean that they'll likely start buying back oil at 500k barrels a day.

So... come November 1st, you can expect anywhere from 3.5 to 4 million barrels less of oil in the international market... not to mention that it will be the beginning of winter, in which oil and gasoline are in particularly high demand.

I'm expecting gas prices to nationally be around $6 dollars a gallon, possibly more... and this will likely last for at least 6 months to a year.

Even if we decided to ramp up production in the United States, and the administration reversed all of the policies they passed in February of 2020... it would still take anywhere from a year to a year and a half to get back even close to the output we had.

So... buckle up... or I guess I should say, start biking.

Old 10-06-2022, 08:43 PM

10,329 posts, read 6,876,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The oil producers get most of the extra money. Refiners may get some, but the two don't correlate. States with sales tax on gas get some too. As do states with severance taxes. California doesn't ahve severance taxes, which I always thought was strange.
But California DOES have excise taxes. For both gasoline and diesel.

Millions of dollars, go to the SBOE, everyday.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:27 AM

880 posts, read 566,755 times
Looks like you discovered a bug in the forum software, RMESH...

Old 07-30-2023, 09:32 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times
And now, a bit more than 10 months after I started the thread, it's no longer true (available for under $3 per gallon)......the cheapest of my go to places in the Houston metro.....$2.99 9/10 on my last previous tank (88 octane E-15).....was $3.09 9/10 when I got gas today (7/30/2023) ....with prices heading up.

Old 08-02-2023, 12:36 AM

24,434 posts, read 23,098,542 times
$3.89 a gallon and i was not happy about it. Highest I've seen was $3.95, the lowest was $3.69. The $3.69 is next to a Lukoil real gas station so they compete price wise. Of course you get a 10% bump in MPG with the real gas over the 10% ethanol so its still a better choice. i had to clean out a lawn mowers carb and treat the gas due to ethanol fouling of the fuel system. Ethanol is just not good and considering the use of corn going for that it drives up food prices as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive