Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 07:16 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,166,156 times

Advertisements

IMO if you have a damaged tire from some sort of roadway incident....keep that in mind and replace it if your local tire shop advises you do so.

Better safe than sorry especially if you drive a lot.

Most gas stations have air stations- make a habit of visually inspecting your tires before you leave your house or apartment. If your tire looks flat, air it up.

Many corporate tire stores have warranties on tires they sell- read the fine print to see if they will do a refund for a tire that didn't last as long as it could have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 09:01 PM

10,582 posts, read 7,804,960 times
Deja vu here. Hopefully this isn't a repeat post of mine in this thread.

Anyway, I had a set of 10 year old BFG AT's on an '85 4Runner when I sold it many years ago to a neighbor. He drove the heck out of it for another 10 years with the same tires before blowing the engine. Tires were bald by that time. He was/is an incredible cheapskate.

I also had a set of used tires on a '90 4Runner for 7 years before discovering that the manufacture date indicated they were 28 years old! The tread was still passable, but the age prompted me to replace.

No way I'd get rid of 6 year old tires in good condition.

Old 03-22-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Anyway, I had a set of 10 year old BFG AT's on an '85 4Runner when I sold it many years ago to a neighbor. He drove the heck out of it for another 10 years with the same tires before blowing the engine. Tires were bald by that time. He was/is an incredible cheapskate.

I also had a set of used tires on a '90 4Runner for 7 years before discovering that the manufacture date indicated they were 28 years old! The tread was still passable, but the age prompted me to replace.

Glad you shared this.

I had to replace a new tire when I struck a small cement block that had fallen off of a truck- the hazard of the tire blowing later was too high.

A lot of fatal highway wrecks are preceded by tire failure. I wish people would think of these things. Better safe than sorry.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,693,775 times
I wonder how much sun exposure plays a part? Tires sitting outside in the sun everyday will usually start to harden and have cracks in the sidewall sooner than ones that are garaged.

I've seen RVs with those covers that go over the tires, so I'm assuming that's why?

Old 03-22-2023, 01:56 PM

5,464 posts, read 6,082,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I wonder how much sun exposure plays a part? Tires sitting outside in the sun everyday will usually start to harden and have cracks in the sidewall sooner than ones that are garaged.

I've seen RVs with those covers that go over the tires, so I'm assuming that's why?
Now see, you learn something new everyday. I always thought those covers were to keep dogs from peeing on them!!! LOL

Old 03-24-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Now see, you learn something new everyday. I always thought those covers were to keep dogs from peeing on them!!! LOL

Animals and insects nest in RVs and trailers that aren't stored properly.

Just sharing some hard earned info here.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:20 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,491,521 times
[quote=southernnaturelover;65041109]I wonder how much sun exposure plays a part? Tires sitting outside in the sun everyday will usually start to harden and have cracks in the sidewall sooner than ones that are garaged.

I know the sun plays havoc with wiper blades, so I'd guess tires would be the same. The type of roads you drive on also plays a big part.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:34 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,685,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post

Ok, you beat me.

Last week I ran over something that put a hole in my tire on my 2001 Mountaineer. I changed the tire and drove home. I debated on whether have the tire repaired or get a new set. The tires still had a reasonable amount of tread on them but I could not remember when they were last replaced. I looked up how to date a tire, went out and looked at mine and determined that they had been manufactured in October 2000. So, 23 years old!

Got a new set put on today. While I'm not advocating for keeping tires for 20+ years, I also would not replace an otherwise good tire at 6 years just because it is 6 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive