Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 05:46 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times

Advertisements

It says those tires are for racetrack and autocross only. Toyo makes some good tires, but if this is your daily driver, you will regret buying the Proxes. They're not meant to be on a daily driver.

Have you tried looking at Discount Tire? Discount Tire has always treated me right and has always beat everyone else's prices by 10% if I found them somewhere else cheaper. They also offer free mounting and balancing for the life of the tire. If you have one near you, it's worth it. They road force balance which leads to a much better balanced tire in my experience over traditional balancing.

I buy all my tires from them and they can get any brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2023, 07:15 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It says those tires are for racetrack and autocross only. Toyo makes some good tires, but if this is your daily driver, you will regret buying the Proxes. They're not meant to be on a daily driver.

Have you tried looking at Discount Tire? Discount Tire has always treated me right and has always beat everyone else's prices by 10% if I found them somewhere else cheaper. They also offer free mounting and balancing for the life of the tire. If you have one near you, it's worth it. They road force balance which leads to a much better balanced tire in my experience over traditional balancing.

I buy all my tires from them and they can get any brand.
And TireRack and Discount Tire are the same company now. But if you order from the TireRack website and have Discount Tire install you do get some free road hazard coverage that you would not get if you just got it through Discount Tire.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:38 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Sorry, but those tires look terrible, they will make the car vulnerable to hydroplaning. Hydroplaning is bad. Are we really on page 8 of this and those are the tires you're considering buying? All this discussion has gotten us nowhere.

If we go with BostonMike's recommendation on the widest sensible tires for the 16-inch rims, 245-50-16, I'll assume they will physically fit and safely clear the fenders, suspension and steering parts, why not just get something like this BFGoodrich g-Force Comp-2 A/S PLUS?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

It's a performance oriented tire, from a major manufacturer, that has a decent reputation, and they come complete with tread , and they're rated quite good by buyers in both wet and dry conditions, even not terrible on snow, and they're cheap - which I see is important as well.
Yes hydroplaning is my first thought. Hence my question about these tires. But the lack of grooves is what makes them exotic! Beauty in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

My rim is 16" x 7.5". Manufacturer spec says these will fit 7"-9" rims. BostonMike yielded to manufacturer's recommendation (maybe for liability reason? ). So I guess this one is at least an option. I wasn't looking for racing tires specifically, just looking for Walmart offers and these pop up.

That said, even though I have a Mustang, I am a very, VERY conservative driver. I hate cars breaking down, so I use them very carefully and sparingly. For all my driving, I typically don't drive over 65 mph, and never take the engine over 2500 rpm. One might ask then why get a mustang... I got it only for the looks. You know what they say... compensation.

This car is 2000 model and only has 97000 miles. It was my daily driver at one point, then I worked overseas and the car sat for years in a garage. This is why it is old but still in very good condition, becoming a candidate for a classic. I hope my kids will one day drive it like someone today driving a 1967 Mustang. So it is now just a spare car and a show horse; I plan to put on maybe 2600 miles per year, about 50 miles per week, just to keep it in perfect running condition.

So given this expected mileage, and given my driving habit, the wear should be a smaller issue? Seems they should pass their expiration date before wearing out?

And same question on the hydroplaning. If I drive no more than 65 mph -- and in fact in rainy conditions I slow down even more, to about 55 or lower -- are these tires safe to use?

I am still focusing on BF Goodrich tires. But I want to learn about these tires. I did not know about the "r compound" tires before; good to know about this.

Old 03-10-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...200-treadwear/

Treadwear is a rough gauge. I get about 10k on 200 treadwear with a combination of daily, spirited, and maybe every other month autocross or track day.. The Toyos are 100, so figure roughly 5k miles.

If you're spec racing, r-compounds are the way to go. You'll overheat 200 treadwear tires and actually end up burning through them faster than r-compounds. For a typical noncompetitive track day though 200 is fine. Maybe by the end of the day I'm comfortable enough to start having to slow down to manage tire temps in a 20 minute session but not often.
Wow you really put your car to work!!

Old 03-10-2023, 10:56 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
And same question on the hydroplaning. If I drive no more than 65 mph -- and in fact in rainy conditions I slow down even more, to about 55 or lower -- are these tires safe to use?
I've been to over 100MPH (on a track) with those Comp 2's (the standard Summer performance versions, not the race ones) in the rain. They are good tires. I would buy another set, but my car only comes out when it's over 60-70 degrees out.

Performance tires can do some amazing things when they get some heat in them. But like i said before, when temps get cold, they start to lose their grip. They also wear quickly. That's the tradeoff for improved grip.

I'm getting the sense this car is more of a cruiser, than something you want to push to the edge of traction limits. If you are just cruising around, they are likely overkill. A good performance all-season might be a reasonable alternative. You'll get better wear characteristics, but sacrificed a little bit of grip when you push the car to the edge. I get the sense you won't be doing that. But, you won't need to worry about losing traction if you take the car out for a spin on a chilly 45 degree day.

Many years ago i owned a 2003 GT i bought new. I put summer performance tires on it, and swapped to snow tires in the winter. In the late fall i got lazy, so i found myself driving on a 40 degree day on the summer tires as i had not swapped them yet. Got onto the highway and started to accelerate uphill at a moderate place just to get into traffic and nothing more. 1st gear, 2nd gear, and then as i shifted into 3rd, i lost traction for a second when i let the clutch out. Road was clear as far as i could tell, and i didn't pop the clutch. It just stepped out on me, and the traction control saved me.

I had other incidents, but overall those performance tires start to get greasy as the temp drops. In the fall, i ususally like to take my current Mustang to work, as in new england, you get some nice 70 degree fall cruising days in the afternoon. But the AM can be 50 degrees. Needless to say I drive very carefully in the AM, and wait until the road and tires have some heat in them before any sporty driving.

Old 03-10-2023, 01:22 PM

12,478 posts, read 9,570,120 times
Quote:
Yes hydroplaning is my first thought. Hence my question about these tires. But the lack of grooves is what makes them exotic! Beauty in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

My rim is 16" x 7.5". Manufacturer spec says these will fit 7"-9" rims. BostonMike yielded to manufacturer's recommendation (maybe for liability reason? ). So I guess this one is at least an option. I wasn't looking for racing tires specifically, just looking for Walmart offers and these pop up.

That said, even though I have a Mustang, I am a very, VERY conservative driver. I hate cars breaking down, so I use them very carefully and sparingly. For all my driving, I typically don't drive over 65 mph, and never take the engine over 2500 rpm. One might ask then why get a mustang... I got it only for the looks. You know what they say... compensation.

This car is 2000 model and only has 97000 miles. It was my daily driver at one point, then I worked overseas and the car sat for years in a garage. This is why it is old but still in very good condition, becoming a candidate for a classic. I hope my kids will one day drive it like someone today driving a 1967 Mustang. So it is now just a spare car and a show horse; I plan to put on maybe 2600 miles per year, about 50 miles per week, just to keep it in perfect running condition.

So given this expected mileage, and given my driving habit, the wear should be a smaller issue? Seems they should pass their expiration date before wearing out?

I am still focusing on BF Goodrich tires. But I want to learn about these tires. I did not know about the "r compound" tires before; good to know about this.
Well, you're right that they (the Toyos) are certainly not bad tires, they're just specialized is all - and they should work great on dry, clean pavement in mild temperatures - the lack of grooves means you'll have more rubber in contact with the road, and you also won't have all these flexible tread blocks deforming under cornering loads and unsettling the tires. "Real" race cars are using slicks - zero grooves, in good conditions.

The trouble with those is that for an all-around street tire, you also need to worry about traction with water (even for a summer tire), along with slush, snow, and ice (if desired to run them year round) on the road. And those Toyos won't be good on the street, even in heavy rain, and will even be worse in wintry conditions - BostonMike points out that summer tires get too hard in serious cold temperatures and then they lose much of their grip, even on dry pavement.

P.S. Sorry if I used strong words above - the reason I did that was I don't want you to get hurt, and if you get *too* creative in choosing tires, you could (a) waste your money or even (b) wind up in an accident.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-10-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2023, 02:53 PM

6,465 posts, read 3,160,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well, you're right that they (the Toyos) are certainly not bad tires, they're just specialized is all - and they should work great on dry, clean pavement in mild temperatures - the lack of grooves means you'll have more rubber in contact with the road, and you also won't have all these flexible tread blocks deforming under cornering loads and unsettling the tires. "Real" race cars are using slicks - zero grooves, in good conditions.

The trouble with those is that for an all-around street tire, you also need to worry about traction with water (even for a summer tire), along with slush, snow, and ice (if desired to run them year round) on the road. And those Toyos won't be good on the street, even in heavy rain, and will even be worse in wintry conditions - BostonMike points out that summer tires get too hard in serious cold temperatures and then they lose much of their grip, even on dry pavement.

P.S. Sorry if I used strong words above - the reason I did that was I don't want you to get hurt, and if you get *too* creative in choosing tires, you could (a) waste your money or even (b) wind up in an accident.
Very well stated

Old 03-11-2023, 02:34 PM

A few tire-buying questions:

1. I am ordering online. Seller already adds in a $7 "tire recycle" fee. I am taking my old tires back when I put on new tires (gonna use them as dock cushions). Do I have to pay this tire recycle fee?

2. Is there requirement for online vendors to send me reasonably fresh tires? For example, I would not accept tires that are 3-4 years old. Is there any way to put some control on this?

Old 03-11-2023, 04:30 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:

1. I am ordering online. Seller already adds in a $7 "tire recycle" fee. I am taking my old tires back when I put on new tires (gonna use them as dock cushions). Do I have to pay this tire recycle fee?

2. Is there requirement for online vendors to send me reasonably fresh tires? For example, I would not accept tires that are 3-4 years old. Is there any way to put some control on this?
I've never had to pay a recycling fee when buying tires on-line. They're just lining their pockets since they won't have to pay the recycling fee.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:19 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:

$7/recycle fee is high. I typically pay $0-2 in person at local shops. Often times if i go in during off-hours, they guy behind the counter doesn't want to enter me info and just tells me to drive out back and put them near the trailer.

How would an online store recycle your tires? They are expecting you to ship them back for $50 and then pay $28 to recycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive