Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 12:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,140 times

Advertisements

The online shop I am thinking about buying rims from, only carries a few tire brands: Toyo, Nitto, Mickey Thompson, Sumitomo, Atturo, Falken Azenis, and then something called "Lionhart". Are these any good? Any idea why a shop would not carry the more popular brands?

I have never bought any of these; my favorite has always been BF Goodrich. Is it too much hassle to buy rims and tires separately then do the mounting?

If I have to choose among the above brands, what are the better ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 12:44 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,903,958 times
Toyo, Nitto, MT, Sumitomo, Falken are all very popular brands.
Sumitomo are OEM tire on more than a couple cars. So are Toyos.
I wouldn't buy a MT tire though, but their wrinkle wall slicks and drag radials are nice!

Old 03-03-2023, 02:06 PM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
They are MY tires, never had an issue with getting them back. worn out, flat, cracked sidewall, I get them if I want them, never had a moment of kickback from a tire store. (Discount Tire, or Mom and Pop locations.)
I've also never had an issue with them getting remounted. I never bring in the car, always carry the rims in the back of the truck, so they just mount them, old, new, used, whatever, and give them back to me.
I can tell you this: I worked in a tire store for 3 years. We would not mount tires over 6 years old. Didn't matter if they were on a car or on just rims. MAJOR liability and that store needs to be shut down. They are endangering the lives of everyone on the road and so are you

Old 03-03-2023, 03:53 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,061,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I can tell you this: I worked in a tire store for 3 years. We would not mount tires over 6 years old. Didn't matter if they were on a car or on just rims. MAJOR liability and that store needs to be shut down. They are endangering the lives of everyone on the road and so are you
Been mounting tires by hand, by Coats 1010 and 2020 changers in the race industry and personal use since the late 60s. i've mounted new tires, old tires, patched tires, tires that were too wide for the rims, tires that were too narrow for the rims.
Your opinion and mine differ, but, like you, I've never taken out a life because of a set of tires. The adhesion of tires is vastly different from one new set to another just as the adhesion differs as the same tire ages. I know the limits of the tires I have on my vehicle. I exceed that limit on occasion, but it's my risk while not endangering someone else.
Personal responsibility, not the word of some pimply faced kid driven by the lawyer speak surrounding why a major chain won't mount my tire. Too many frivolous lawsuits that gain airtime and credibility and not enough common sense.

Those same major tire chains won't plug a tire either.

Old 03-03-2023, 11:54 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,829,402 times
My question is about tire rotation... if I drive low miles [<5000 miles per yr], is it worth paying to get tire rotation? Given by the time the tire needs replacement due to age, there'd be very little tread wear anyway.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:13 AM

4,144 posts, read 3,061,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
My question is about tire rotation... if I drive low miles [<5000 miles per yr], is it worth paying to get tire rotation? Given by the time the tire needs replacement due to age, there'd be very little tread wear anyway.
I drive about 3500 miles a year, and have the tires rotated at every oil & filter change. Otherwise, the front tires would wear much faster than the rear tires on my AWD CUV.

Old 03-04-2023, 08:40 AM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,140 times
Why is Michelin tires so much more expensive than others? They are 300 each, while others can be as low as 100 each. Why?

What are the concrete advantages of Michelin tires to justify the 3x price?

Old 03-04-2023, 10:38 AM

45,440 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, the Michelin tires that I have had have been among the loudest tires and the most likely to have sidewall cracking. I have had poor experience with them...
That's been my experience with them also. I've had them as both OEM and aftermarket tires on a variety of vehicles ranging from 1970's Pontiacs, 80's and 90's Chevies, 90's, 00's, current Fords (coupes, sedans, station wagons and pickups) and found that their performance, handling and longevity were overrated.

Most had to be replaced long before the listed mileage was reached from either wear or, as you mentioned, sidewall cracking.

Old 03-04-2023, 11:06 AM

6,466 posts, read 3,160,332 times
I know that this discussion has been going on for a while, and can be VERY polarizing, however I'll throw this in the mix, just for kicks.....

In early 2005, I bought a brand new GMC Canyon 4x4. Not that I needed the "off road package", but the truck was loaded, in black, my favorite color, and the price was right. I picked the truck up in the evening, drove it 3 miles home, and parked it for the night. Next morning, I drive it to work, on my usual route, which was a mixture of secondary roads and expressways. The damned truck was all over the road.

My buddy was a top notch front end and wheel alignment technician, so rather than dink around with the dealer, I took it to him the next day, and we put it on the alignment rack. Good news was the alignment was "spot on". The bad news was that it drove terribly.

Since I was going to primarily drive this truck in the winter, I shopped for some snow tires for it, but it was a little tricky due to the not-so-common tire size. I wound up talking to a small, but busy tire shop a few miles from my house. They didn't stock these tires but they said that they could get them from the warehouse that they worked with. Long story short, I bought the tires (Bridgestone Winter Duelers), and never gave it another thought.

These Bridgestones worked well in the snow, and also wore quite well, for snow tires. However, after about 7 years, or so, I was thinking that they were getting near the end of their lifespan, and I began to consider replacing them, even though they still had a fair amount of tread. It was at this point, that I happened to look at the manufacturing date code, and I came to a shocking realization. The tires, at that point, were 13 years old!!

Yes, I, the consummate "car freak", and former seller of tires, as a side business, failed to check the date code when I bought them. When I got them, they had been sitting in the warehouse for 5-6 years.....and I then drove on them for another 7 years. AND, they looked as good as new, with nary a crack on any of them.

No, I'm not suggesting that you drive on 13 year old tires, but I am suggesting that "your mileage may vary".........

And on another point, someone in an earlier post, asked why some retailers sell tires so cheap. In some cases, it might be because the tires, while unused, are already 4-6 years old. I've seen name brand tires on E-Bay, listed by reputable tire dealers, fairly cheap. However, because these sellers are being decent about it, they ARE stating that they're "old stock".

Old 03-04-2023, 11:48 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Why is Michelin tires so much more expensive than others? They are 300 each, while others can be as low as 100 each. Why?

What are the concrete advantages of Michelin tires to justify the 3x price?
The Michelin tires I had on the previous truck were excellent in every way. Ditto for the BF Goodrich (NOT Goodyear!) tires I’ve bought since then. Both cost more than other tires and were worth it. I had previously used other brands and found them lacking, either due to belt shift (a major PITA to determine) or to meh tread wear or traction.

Pennywise and poundfoolish wastes both money and your time. BUT in all cases, you still have to maintain the tires with proper inflation, staying within the tires’ intended uses, and inspecting for damage from debris and potholing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive