Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 07:27 AM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times

Advertisements

I drive the Outback like a granny (since its so damned slow anyway) and have never actually seen over 425 miles from a tank. That car has been cross country twice and all sorts of in between. I put 48,000 miles on it in the 2.5 years it was my primary. It’s seen 5,000 since.

Gassers really need to review their mpg more honestly before comparing to EV. It was this realization that made the difference for me. It sounds great when you’re “getting” 250+ more miles than the average EV, but when reality is only about 100, it’s not necessarily as “inconvenient”, even on road trips, and especially for daily driving.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 07:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yes, there are those above average of course. Especially larger vehicles with big tanks. Just saying that it's not "most".
Toyota Camry range is 440 miles city, 615 miles highway, unless it has AWD.

Toyota Corolla range is 460 miles highway.

Honda Accord range is 480 miles highway.

Honda Civic range is 370 city, 460 highway.

Pretty common cars.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:14 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I’m confused. You stayed at motels during your trip too. Are you saying that charger-equipped hotels/motels would cost more? Do you have some information showing this?
We just returned from a Florida trip. The motels we stayed at had charging stations, but, here's the big limitation, just two. Over a hundred cars in the parking lot at night, but just two charging stations. That's find because the vast majority of vehicles are still gas. But what's going to happen when even just half those hundred are electric?

Just for the heck of it, I plotted out the route we took and the location of charging stations. While they were available, most were not in what I'd call a convenient location. They require getting off the route and driving around town to find the station. Adding significant drive time. Plus the charge time. And some long stretches with no stations. Overall would have effectively added a day on each end of the trip just to find and use chargers.

That's why we still run gas. I don't have to plan a trip around where I can find a station; they're everywhere. I don't have any emotional reason for one over the other. Electric just isn't there yet.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:48 AM

“Electric just isn’t there” is the most tired common comment from gassers. Sorry but its true. Hands down for daily driving they win. Period. On road trips, unless in the middle of nowhere, it’s very little difference. My Florida trips - actual trips not guessing - took 2-3 hours longer than with my gas car. Unless you’re doing this regularly, you’re missing out on the daily drive convenience by focusing on outliers instead. And invariably these “it doesn’t work” comments come from people who’ve never done it. It’s not about arguing. It’s truth.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-09-2023, 08:53 AM

My next big trip is to Oklahoma. I say next “big” because I have a shorter trip coming up soon. I’m not even staying at a charger-equipped hotel because it’s unnecessary. Plenty of chargers along the route.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:46 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Pretty common cars.
I squeezed 460 miles on a tank in my Nissan Frontier back in January.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:44 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
How many hours did he spend at the charging stations.?

Old 05-10-2023, 05:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 790,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

Pretty common cars.
You are not going to run the car until the tank is empty........

Old 05-10-2023, 07:15 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post

Exactly. I've been on plenty of gas powered road trips where the next gas station may be 30-40 miles down the road, so you don't want the gas light coming on with no idea how far down the road that next stop may be. So you're not using the full potential range of the gas car, either. You're getting gas when you can and have the opportunity.

And really this comes down to the fact that for most people road trips over 200 miles are NOT a day to day thing. They just aren't. Not even a weekly or even monthly thing. The time spent at a charging station on the rare road trip is offset by NEVER having to GO somewhere to fill up on the daily grind. I'll add a half hour to my road trip gladly to never have to go somewhere to fill up every couple days.

As for planning the route, so what? Right now there are chargers no more than 50 miles away from just about any point in the country. So think a little on where you want to go and use a station close to that destination to top off and go wherever you want. Just like you might do with your gas powered car. And anyone complaining about that has never towed/driven an RV. Talk about trying to plan stops (not only where and when based on range, but where based on whether you can even FIT in the station!). When you get 8-10 mpg, even with a 30-35 gallon tank you need to plan carefully.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:22 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
It is not that you would but that you could.

"Range Anxiety" is the fear of being stranded in a car that runs completely out of juice. That is what we are discussing with EVs. The potential for an unforseeable event to prevent refilling at the current stop, and having sufficient additional range to make it to the next available location.

I most certainly have run my motorcycles to empty on the few occassions I could not make it to the next fuel stop, and tried to get as close as possible to a gas station, so I had the shortest walk to buy and fill a gas can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive