Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 08:34 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times

Advertisements

I gotta give kudos to the new CEO of Electrify America, who was just promoted from Veep of Technology. He was challenged on social media to take a coast-to-coast EV trip using just Electrify America charging stations, and he did it. I think this trip probably opened his eyes some as to the state of the network - decent, but with things to work on... and he should probably continue to do this sort of thing periodically, on different routes. Experiencing for yourself will give you a lot clearer picture than listening to the boasts of your lieutenants - many of whom want to promote their own work and will give an optimistic picture of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1c86Y4YBqk&t=3s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 09:32 PM

3,379 posts, read 9,212,192 times
Thank you for sharing

Old 05-04-2023, 11:16 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
This is the type of video that I have been wanting to see for quite some time. Mad respect for the CEO making this effort and being transparent about it.

For our use case, it reinforces that EV range/charging is just not currently suitable to meet our needs. I am not likely to purchase another truck in the next decade, but my wife will purchase a car in 2-4 years. It will be interesting to watch the EV evolution over that period.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:24 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
And I'm sure he stuck to the major highways, and didn't travel the back roads.

That's my gripe. I don't want to be told what route I'll need to take based on charger availability. If there's something I want to see in a podunk town, I want the freedom to go there without worrying about finding somewhere to charge.

And yes, I know there's always worry about finding gas stations in remote areas as well, but at least with most ICE or PHEV you'll have over 500 miles per tank.

Old 05-05-2023, 05:30 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
This is the type of video that I have been wanting to see for quite some time. Mad respect for the CEO making this effort and being transparent about it.

For our use case, it reinforces that EV range/charging is just not currently suitable to meet our needs. I am not likely to purchase another truck in the next decade, but my wife will purchase a car in 2-4 years. It will be interesting to watch the EV evolution over that period.
By all accounts, the Tesla charging network is a good deal better than the other commercial charging networks. You need to buy a Tesla to use it though.

To me, this is actually a positive story about Electrify America. It's pretty well documented that they have some issues with their tech and their maintenance of the chargers. But they have new leadership and it looks like he's taking a hands-on approach and putting himself in the shoes of the customer to appraise their service - that's a hopeful development.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:11 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,679,883 times
Electrify America stations suck. They are poorly managed compared to Tesla or Chargepoint. I go to many Electrify stations and get stuck with machines that don't work.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Back in 1970 I did a summer-long cross country trip, visiting 44 states in about 18,000 miles. That was in a 1964 Buick Sport Wagon. It was a memorable experience that I will never forget, and more people should do it. The $500 I spent on gas at $0.25-.30/gallon would now be more like $4,800 today with $4 gas. We did camping and sleeping in the car, but in an EV I wouldn't even try it yet. One would probably have to spend a lot of money staying at hotels with chargers, if you could find them. We did a road trip into Orgon and northern California in October and none of the motels we stayed at had charging.

Old 05-05-2023, 11:43 AM

11,510 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Good CEO who walks the talk. At least he saw some charge stations for himself first hand and knows there are improvements to make.

Tesla is the only charge stations that are money in the bank right now. Every other network needs major fixes.

Beyond that, the waste and inefficiency with charging stations is criminal, caused by the fed gov shoving them down our throats and handing out massive subsidies.

Electrify America rushed out their station in 2018 so fast, so untested, so undeveloped, they are already on Gen 5. Think about it. There are some stations where they ripped out the Gen 1, installed Gen 2... rinse, repeat, until Gen 4 and soon to be Gen 5.

The rush is just criminal. This should have been better planned, better coordinated, with more patience and deliberation.

What a fiasco.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:07 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
One would probably have to spend a lot of money staying at hotels with chargers, if you could find them. We did a road trip into Orgon and northern California in October and none of the motels we stayed at had charging.
I’m confused. You stayed at motels during your trip too. Are you saying that charger-equipped hotels/motels would cost more? Do you have some information showing this?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-05-2023, 09:45 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
By all accounts, the Tesla charging network is a good deal better than the other commercial charging networks. You need to buy a Tesla to use it though.

To me, this is actually a positive story about Electrify America. It's pretty well documented that they have some issues with their tech and their maintenance of the chargers. But they have new leadership and it looks like he's taking a hands-on approach and putting himself in the shoes of the customer to appraise their service - that's a hopeful development.
I agree. This is the way to improve on service to EV owners. I have much respect for the new CEO for his effort to understand his customer's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive