Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 07:34 AM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Again, I think that is where a travel itinerary would be useful, but Barossa stated at 0:52 that "he was sitting here about 20 minutes or so, grabbing a quick burger. As soon as it's up to about 80%". Then at 1:19, he said, "The drive today is probably about a 12-hour drive - we will have to charge 5-6 times along the way".

Based on his statements, he appears that he spent about 100 minutes each day charging not including overnights. That's over 11 hours of charging for the week for a trip where he only paced 400 miles per day.
That makes sense. I'd like to explicitly state that since this is a multi-day trip and they are purposefully doing all charging via Electrify America charging stations since that's the company making this video and where he works. Those are fast chargers and not chargers you plug into overnight while you sleep and waking up every day with a full charge can make a pretty crucial difference.

For the vehicle he used, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, the lower range option is about 200 highway miles and the higher range is around 300 miles. If he were to have done overnight charging each night along the way with a level 2 charger which is the most common home charger, public free charger, and hotel chargers we see, he could started every day with a topped off vehicle, then he would have had to stop only once or twice per day if he were going about 400 miles each day and could have timed those with meal or stretch breaks. However, that wasn't the point for him since he was supposed to use only Electrify America DC fast chargers.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-11-2023 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 09:29 AM

6,505 posts, read 3,188,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And I'm sure he stuck to the major highways, and didn't travel the back roads.

That's my gripe. I don't want to be told what route I'll need to take based on charger availability. If there's something I want to see in a podunk town, I want the freedom to go there without worrying about finding somewhere to charge.

And yes, I know there's always worry about finding gas stations in remote areas as well, but at least with most ICE or PHEV you'll have over 500 miles per tank.
Bingo!!!

Old 05-12-2023, 09:43 AM

12,577 posts, read 9,675,150 times
Quote:

That's my gripe. I don't want to be told what route I'll need to take based on charger availability. If there's something I want to see in a podunk town, I want the freedom to go there without worrying about finding somewhere to charge.

And yes, I know there's always worry about finding gas stations in remote areas as well, but at least with most ICE or PHEV you'll have over 500 miles per tank.
If you're in a major city, or traveling along a major interstate highway, for the most part, you're going to be pretty well covered by DC-fast charging these days. If you're in seriously rural areas though - like one finds in ND, SD, NE, KS, WY, MT, and/or traveling a secondary highway in most any rural area, you may be SOL, at least for DC fast-charging. Charging networks of course, continue to expand though.

PlugShare's online map is a good place to get an idea of what coverage looks like - set the filter to min 50kW charging - that's where DC fast-charging starts, and zoom in to your state of interest, as there are some issues with their icon rendering layout algorithm.

Old 05-12-2023, 01:08 PM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:

Why would he want to travel the back roads for a trip from LA to the DC suburbs?

There's a question of how far off the roads you're willing to go, because at this point the vast majority of the contiguous US has chargers on more than just the major highways. It is going to be more inconvenient on extended trips where you don't charge overnight, but then if you are charging overnight it can end up actually being *more* convenient so there's a convenience trade-off rather than a full loss.

It's a substantial exaggeration that *most* ICE or PHEV go over 500 miles per tank. The median for MY2021 was 403 which means fully have of models are likely under the 400 mark, let alone *over* the 500 mark.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-12-2023 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-12-2023, 01:46 PM

19,076 posts, read 14,017,666 times
Since becoming an EV driver I've learned a hell of a lot about how closed minded the majority of people are when confronted with things they don't understand. It's really effin sad.

There's no "bingo" Leadfoot. It was a wildly misinformed statement that raised your jollies enough to post that one-word insight. Based on previous interactions with you on this topic, I will leave it at that. Your mind is as closed as it gets, yet you waste your time constantly posting in EV threads. You need a deep reflection on why this topic triggers you so much. Maybe go for a ride with your gas cap open so you can smell those fumes you enjoy so greatly.

In fact I'm willing to bet I actually road trip more often and further than most of you who constantly harp on a technology you know nothing about. Up next are Southern Virginia, then Oklahoma. Both before July comes to a close. Then the Idaho-side of Yellowstone in September.

You people literally have no clue about EVs yet talk like experts. It's a pathetic act.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-12-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's a substantial exaggeration that *most* ICE or PHEV go over 500 miles per tank. The median for MY2021 was 403 which means fully have of models are likely under the 400 mark, let alone *over* the 500 mark.
...and I guarantee it's usually an exaggeration how often, how far, and for how many miles without stopping these close minded people actually take road trips.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-12-2023, 03:37 PM

6,505 posts, read 3,188,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Since becoming an EV driver I've learned a hell of a lot about how closed minded the majority of people are when confronted with things they don't understand. It's really effin sad.

There's no "bingo" Leadfoot. It was a wildly misinformed statement that raised your jollies enough to post that one-word insight. Based on previous interactions with you on this topic, I will leave it at that. Your mind is as closed as it gets, yet you waste your time constantly posting in EV threads. You need a deep reflection on why this topic triggers you so much. Maybe go for a ride with your gas cap open so you can smell those fumes you enjoy so greatly.

In fact I'm willing to bet I actually road trip more often and further than most of you who constantly harp on a technology you know nothing about. Up next are Southern Virginia, then Oklahoma. Both before July comes to a close. Then the Idaho-side of Yellowstone in September.

You people literally have no clue about EVs yet talk like experts. It's a pathetic act.
I believe in freedom of choice....simple as that.

Old 05-12-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I believe in freedom of choice....simple as that.
What the hell does that have to do with the inaccurate statement that was your “bingo” moment?

Your political hatred does not diminish the capabilities of these cars. Period.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:24 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,249,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why would he want to travel the back roads for a trip from LA to the DC suburbs?

There's a question of how far off the roads you're willing to go, because at this point the vast majority of the contiguous US has chargers on more than just the major highways. It is going to be more inconvenient on extended trips where you don't charge overnight, but then if you are charging overnight it can end up actually being *more* convenient so there's a convenience trade-off rather than a full loss.

It's a given that charging stations are not as ubiquitous as gas stations, thus possibly requiring rerouting/delays of a planned trip. Also a given that charging is not as fast as refueling with gas, even to 80%. Those are indisputable facts as of this moment. For some (self-included), that would require a vastly improved range to overcome the disadvantage of the above points. For others, EVs may offer a greater advantage.

500 miles may get tossed around a lot, but even on my V6 Frontier, I can push 460 miles with conservative driving. It would cost me 80k-100k to get half that range with current EV trucks.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
It's a given that charging stations are not as ubiquitous as gas stations, thus possibly requiring rerouting/delays of a planned trip. Also a given that charging is not as fast as refueling with gas, even to 80%. Those are indisputable facts as of this moment. For some (self-included), that would require a vastly improved range to overcome the disadvantage of the above points. For others, EVs may offer a greater advantage.

500 miles may get tossed around a lot, but even on my V6 Frontier, I can push 460 miles with conservative driving. It would cost me 80k-100k to get half that range with current EV trucks.
Honest question: why are road trips more important than daily driving to your car buying decision?

I'm truly trying to understand why these discussions ALWAYS devolve into road trip discussions while the IMMENSE benefits experienced for the vast majority of EVERYONE'S driving habits are completely ignored.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive