Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 02:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times

Advertisements

For years now it seems that all cars and trucks come with uncomfortable seats made of hard foam, and no springs at all. Even luxury cars. Anyone have any idea why? I remember plush, even pillow-top seats that felt like a couch. Now you gotta buy extra cushion for your car seats. The only things I can think of is they're trying to reduce weight and/or costs by eliminating springs, going for a sportier look, or just being cheap to maximize profits. I refuse to believe that younger car buyers aren't interested in comfort. No one has a hard couch in their home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 02:19 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
It's your ass. I'm not being jerk, it's just something specific to your body because I can't recall the last time I sat in an uncomfortable car seat and I've sat in a lot of new cars. It's important to remember that an overly soft and cushy seat is actually not good for your posture or back. I personally prefer a firm seat with good bolstering so I don't slide side to side under aggressive corner.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,714 times
It's because they don't simply take easy chairs and stuff them into cars anymore. They try to design lightweight seats that don't take up a ton of room.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
I don't know about lightweight - a BMW power seat can weigh 100 pounds with all its electronics, motors, heating, cooling, etc.

Seats are however firmer than they used to be - that is based on popularity. Older style seats like you used to find in Crown Victorias are nowhere to be found now afaik.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,381,145 times
One thing for sure is that there is a never ending list of complaints about today's cars,2000 cars, 90's cars, 80's cars, 70's cars, 60's cars, etc, etc.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
One thing for sure is that there is a never ending list of complaints about today's cars,2000 cars, 90's cars, 80's cars, 70's cars, 60's cars, etc, etc.
Too true. If there's one thing to be found is that someone, somewhere isn't happy with what's available at any one time.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:13 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,327 times
Once that now firm breaks in with your weight, it should be more comfortable later, like shoes...?

A lot of dseats now have air bags built in, that also makes hard spots.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
I live north of Sacramento and bought my cars in Orange County because of a good internet pricing deal (flew down to pick them up). When I drove the first one home the eight hours/500 miles I was pleasantly surprised. Got out of the car when I pulled into my garage and I didn't hurt anywhere. I'm a big guy (6' 4", 225 lbs) and it is a compact car as well.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM

551 posts, read 1,121,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
For years now it seems that all cars and trucks come with uncomfortable seats made of hard foam, and no springs at all. Even luxury cars. Anyone have any idea why? I remember plush, even pillow-top seats that felt like a couch. Now you gotta buy extra cushion for your car seats. The only things I can think of is they're trying to reduce weight and/or costs by eliminating springs, going for a sportier look, or just being cheap to maximize profits. I refuse to believe that younger car buyers aren't interested in comfort. No one has a hard couch in their home.
I knew this was bogus from the title... I guess you have driven ALL cars my man.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,237 times
I know this feeling. I've driven a few new cars recently, and they all have rock hard seats. It's just the way it is. Even the 2012 Chrysler 300C that I rented to go to Vegas which have nice leather seats, were starting to get uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving. My ass, and back was starting to hurt, not badly, just to the point where I had to always adjust myself to a certain extent while on the trip.

The 300 rode very nice, but if ONLY the seats a where bit softer, it would of have been perfect. I own some old cars, and their seats are far more comfortable to sit in than any new ride. Some people hate the sink in feeling of the old school plush seats of the past, but I think on a long trip somewhere, you can't ask for anything better comfort wise.

If myself, and friends of mine or family members are traveling on a long trip somewhere, you want to cruise in absolute comfort, where the passengers can sleep peacefully without the being disturb. In my experience, there is no comparison, the older full size luxury cars of the past with velour pillow top seat cushions, or even regular soft cloth seats, are one of the best ways to travel. Sadly those days are long gone and we all have to drive modern boxes with seats that feel like you're sitting a cement block.

At least back in the days, Detroit's full sizers seat construction was just as good as your home recliner, and felt like it too. They were large seat frames, made for big people, built with nice quality foam, springs, some even with individual coil springs for ultimate comfort

I get tired of seeing sporty seats in a car built strictly for comfort. Why?? This always happens. Take a look at every new car, from a regular mid size to luxury, they all look like park benches. Totally flat and unsupportive. Especially in backseats, they are all very uncomfortable to sit on. Automakers have forgotten all about it's rear passengers lately, and this really needs to change. But like what was said earlier, manufactures are cutting cost, so they're not going to spend the extra dough on seat comfort, when more feature content, higher MPG's, having the latest tech gadgets, is what sells new cars these days. This is what the automakers are focusing their money so heavily on, and it's been like this for many years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive