Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:58 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sorry, Hummers are not "fun". In fact theyre about the furthest thing from it (unless you have an H1 and decent off-road skills).
I'm sorry that you don't believe Hummers can be fun. Many said the same thing about my Suzuki Samurai. I would disagree with them. Some of the best times I ever had in any vehicle were in my Samurai. Most of those times were when I was traveling a narrow, rocky, and steep four wheel drive trail, usually with my Suzuki Club. They were vehicles that were built with a specific purpose in mind, and most of those in our club were mildly modified to achieve an even greater potential. The places we took our Samurais were some of the most spectacular in terms of scenery of any that I have seen in my life. The challenge of getting there was most of the fun, though.

The same could be said of the H3. Properly built and modified, the H3 has the potential to traverse terrain that would send many SUVs back to their garages. The challenge of driving a purpose built vehicle in these places is fun in ways you might find difficult to imagine. Crawling along a rocky incline at speeds slower than you can walk doesn't take a lot of horsepower, but it does take a lot of concentration to prevent vehicle damage. Even though it doesn't stick you to the back of your seat (except when climbing a 60 degree incline), doesn't mean it isn't fun. Before you discount it as not being a fun vehicle, you should run it through the type of situation it was built for. An H3 alpha (V8) with the "off-road" package has the potential to go a lot of places that similar vehicles can't. The V8 engine, automatic transmission, locking differential, and 4:1 transfer case provide plenty of torque and gear reduction to climb almost anything you can point the vehicle toward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,719 times
Large vehicles can be lots of fun to drive. I own 2006 Kenworth W900 semi-tractor that I purchased brand new. Customized to the hilt with lots of chrome and with the largest and most powerful Cat engine available. I had planned to get into trucking full time, but the high paying corporate world just won't let me go.

Most people would have sold the truck and taken the depreciation loss and chalked the experience up as a mistake Not me. I go out on the weekends joy riding this vehicle. Beautiful on road trips since I have a big sleeper and don't have to pay for hotels. It's my RV.

With a weight of 21000 pounds, it has slow acceleration compared to a car and the handling of a house on wheels. The shifter is no Hurst unit, but going through the gears is lots of fun. Mileage is around 8mpg without pulling a trailer. Love the sound of the big diesel engine and the smell of the diesel exhaust. I just love going for rides with no particular destination when I leave the house. Just like the Hummers, it's a different type of vehicle and not for everyone.

If I want to go out and do pedal to the metal blasts, I'll take my Vette or TA. There's a time and place for every vehicle.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:59 AM

142 posts, read 565,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
With what gas mileage? 20 MPG? That's about what the H3 gets! There are lots of vehicles that are getting 20 MPG or less. The social conscience comes from driving what meets your needs. Face it, there are things a Toyota Prius can't do that a Chevy Silverado can do. Have you ever seen a Prius pulling a fifth wheel trailer???

Why don't you think people should have the right to own any of these vehicles? Do you also believe that they shouldn't own boats for water skiing, or personal water craft, or ATVs, Dirt Bikes, Snowmobiles, or any other type of motorized vehicle that is just used for fun? Since those things are used only for fun, and not for transportation, are you claiming people shouldn't have a right to own them? If not, then they need a way to tow those vehicles, and their tow vehicle would be exactly the type of vehicle you are objecting to.

As for the original post, the question was whether or not to get a Hummer H3. I believe that if that is what someone wants (it doesn't really matter why), then that's what they should get. Who are you to say what they can and can't drive? They might only use it to tow a boat to the lake twice a month and have it parked the rest of the time. Is that irresponsible, as you would imply? Some people purchase vehicles only because of the "image factor" as indicated earlier in this thread. That is their choice. Others purchase these vehicles because they intend to use them in the way they were designed. That is their choice.

Personally, I would consider purchasing an H3 if I had need of a mid sized SUV. Since I own a Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 pickup (the stablemate of the H3), I don't need an H3.
Thank you. Well said.

frogandtoad: Yep, as stated earlier....at roughly 20 mpg (sometimes even up to 22 mpg!!!), I honestly don't see that as being awful gas mileage. I'm sorry, but my 4 cylinder CAR gets almost the same gas mileage! If anything I'm filling up less often as well, because the gas tank has more gallons than most cars/suv's. You're talking about having no social conscience at all....then if that's the case, ANYONE with a vehicle that runs on gas must has no social conscience then. Hope you have fun walking, riding a bike or roller skating to work and other places....since you are the one that's socially conscience, right?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I say - it is only your opinion. Someone else may very well have the opposite opinion.

For instance - we have 3 SUV's now - and love them. Do we use more gas than someone driving a Yaris? Yes - but we don't mind that - it is our choice.

I've driven the H3 and like it. I don't own one though - but, I understand why another person might want one.

BTW - I will be getting a HUMMER - the military version (surplus) - Desert cammy color - about 5mpg
Hey, you can borrow mine until you get your military version one. You'll have lots of FUN w/ it!

Old 10-02-2008, 06:27 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I know.

If you are just gonna yell at me about Gas, i don't want to hear it

Basically, right now, GM is offering incentives and employee discount bringing an H3 to about 23K!

I know it doesn't get the best gas mileage, but, that is an incredible deal, and would help me get out from under my Saturn Ion.

Anyone here have one? Pros and cons?
Remember those commercials with Goldilocks and the 3 bears, and how she hops in the H3 because it's supposed to be 'just right?' Think about it - do you want to be Goldilocks?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,398,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I'm sorry that you don't believe Hummers can be fun. Many said the same thing about my Suzuki Samurai. I would disagree with them. Some of the best times I ever had in any vehicle were in my Samurai. Most of those times were when I was traveling a narrow, rocky, and steep four wheel drive trail, usually with my Suzuki Club. They were vehicles that were built with a specific purpose in mind, and most of those in our club were mildly modified to achieve an even greater potential. The places we took our Samurais were some of the most spectacular in terms of scenery of any that I have seen in my life. The challenge of getting there was most of the fun, though.

The same could be said of the H3. Properly built and modified, the H3 has the potential to traverse terrain that would send many SUVs back to their garages. The challenge of driving a purpose built vehicle in these places is fun in ways you might find difficult to imagine. Crawling along a rocky incline at speeds slower than you can walk doesn't take a lot of horsepower, but it does take a lot of concentration to prevent vehicle damage. Even though it doesn't stick you to the back of your seat (except when climbing a 60 degree incline), doesn't mean it isn't fun. Before you discount it as not being a fun vehicle, you should run it through the type of situation it was built for. An H3 alpha (V8) with the "off-road" package has the potential to go a lot of places that similar vehicles can't. The V8 engine, automatic transmission, locking differential, and 4:1 transfer case provide plenty of torque and gear reduction to climb almost anything you can point the vehicle toward.
Did you miss where I mentioned that theyre not fun UNLESS YOURE ON AN OFF-ROAD EXCURSION?

Anyways, on the road (where they are driven 99.9% of the time), SUVs are turds. Boring, slow, bad handling turds. And FYI, I used to own a 91 Toyota pickup with a 4" Explorer Pro Comp suspension lift, Rancho shocks, 33X12.5" BFG Mud Terrains. I spent PLENTY of time off-road, so I know how much fun it could be. The problem was that after I was done off-roading, I had to get back on the main roads where the truck was about as much fun as getting a colonoscopy. And I do agree that Samurais are incredible off-road, as long as they have an engine swap. There are a few that I saw at our local off-road park (Cliffs Insane Terrain), and they were phenomonal. One had a Chevy V8 and one had a Ford V8, both were equally impressive, especially on the steep inclines and narrow passages, thanks to their tiny wheelbases and tiny width.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:15 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Gee - my SUV's are not "slow moving turds" - not by a long shot

Old 10-02-2008, 09:16 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,610,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I know.

If you are just gonna yell at me about Gas, i don't want to hear it
Beware the people you ask advice from. I am sitting here considering buying a 10-speed Mack sleeper. Ya wanna talk about gas hog?!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammaof2girls View Post
Hey, you can borrow mine until you get your military version one. You'll have lots of FUN w/ it!
Careful there young lady - I might take you up on the offer!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Careful there young lady - I might take you up on the offer!
Sure...as long as it comes back nice and washed (and vacuumed too!). Thanks! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive