Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times

Advertisements

There's a reason I live in South Texas. No need to weigh down the truck because of snow. And the desert is solid enough to drive in without worring about getting stuck in sand. thanks for reminding me why I live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 09:27 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Think of the difference between a gooseneck trailer, and a typical bumper hitch as it may help you visualize what is actually going on here.
That's a good point.

To carry maximum weight in a truck, you put it over the axle to distribute the load partially on the front axle. You're doing that to keep from overloading the rear tires which could cause an understeer.

The goal of putting mass into a truck for traction on ice is to equalize weight on all 4 tires to correct an inherent oversteer. The further back you put the mass, the more leverage it exerts, meaning you can achieve the desired weight distribution with less mass.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
That's a good point.

To carry maximum weight in a truck, you put it over the axle to distribute the load partially on the front axle. You're doing that to keep from overloading the rear tires which could cause an understeer.

The goal of putting mass into a truck for traction on ice is to equalize weight on all 4 tires to correct an inherent oversteer. The further back you put the mass, the more leverage it exerts, meaning you can achieve the desired weight distribution with less mass.
Nicely stated.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 8,374,288 times
I do have a locker in the rear of my Dodge 4x4. Does that make it 3 wheel drive? lol

Old 11-07-2008, 10:24 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,791,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I do have a locker in the rear of my Dodge 4x4. Does that make it 3 wheel drive? lol
I'm not sure about the 3WD, but it should give you a nice place to keep your coat between classes...

Old 11-07-2008, 10:43 AM

886 posts, read 5,714,238 times
Never had to use anything. 10 yers of driving in Northern MN and never had a problem. One thing that I have seen though is blocks of ice.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:58 AM

73 posts, read 320,401 times
Get duct tape, invite inlaws over for dinner. Tie them up, place in bed, tape to back of bed. (Per sterilinggrls suggestion)

Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperfectbass View Post
Get duct tape, invite inlaws over for dinner. Tie them up, place in bed, tape to back of bed. (Per sterilinggrls suggestion)
LOL, aperfect . . . how do you handle THE STINK?

! ! ! !

Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
Oh I know my physics. I am a commercial driver by trade. I know all about load placement over axles.

Here's a quick lesson for you. <snip> Weight placed behind the rear axle actually creates more rearward weight as it slightly unsprings the front, and shifts weight to rear. Think of the difference between a gooseneck trailer, and a typical bumper hitch as it may help you visualize what is actually going on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post

dubthang you have an advantage over a lot of people who drive p-ups then. Not everybody does have Commercial driving experience or the years of driving pick-ups in snow and icy conditions. I have driven trucks every year for the last 30 years in snow and ice all winter, every winter; the last 20 in Aroostook County, Maine (Presque Isle area to be specific). Ever see the trucks cruising down the road in the winter with the rear end about dragging their bumper on the pavement? I have and it is a direct result of somebody not knowing that a little may be just right. If a little works good then a LOT must work better they think. If they put it all back by the tailgate you and I both know what the handling and stopping will be like in snow. The general advice to put it between the wheel wells helps the novice (or idiot) to prevent that situation. If it is a 4X4 truck though I will still stand with the placement between the wheel wells. You want some extra weight, mostly back, but not all the extra back. A little extra toward the front you get when placing it between the wheel wells keeps balance of the vehicle better and helps with stopping as well as getting going.

The biggest help though for any vehicle, but one that you notice most on pick-ups, is having the right tires for winter driving. Weight is nice, but you can do without. Good tires will serve you better in the long run. Dedicated snows are much better than all-seasons, which in turn are better than summer type tires.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:10 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperfectbass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
LOL, aperfect . . . how do you handle THE STINK?

! ! ! !
It's winter, they freeze and won't stink until the Spring thaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive