Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:51 AM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
Zombie thread revived by a noob ...
Gosh isn't it funny how it just keeps on snowing year after year and those ridiculous zombies just keep insisting on trying to drive in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 07:42 AM

76 posts, read 125,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I've bought 6 of those tube sand bags but want to keep sand out of my bed when they burst.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
I dont. When its bad enough, I weigh down the bed in my room and keep my happy little azz at home!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:22 PM

880 posts, read 2,344,527 times
I'm running nothing but 2 quality snow tires in the rear of the same truck that I had when this thread was started back in '08. I have bought a '67 M715 and a '76 Wagoneer since then so I don't really need to use my 2wd truck in severe weather anymore.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:35 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I cut a tree down on Tuesday... Its is in the back of my pickup.

It seems 4x4 gets people stuck faster than anything I know.

Really? I live in ID, snow can be counted in feet where I drive, and never been stuck in my 4x4 PU with no added weight to the rear. I'll have to remember that the next time I see a 2WD stuck and spinning.

But really, tires are the main component to worry about and then driver's knowledge. But if you put the same tires, and the same driver's experience behind a 2WD and a 4WD, the 4WD will go places the 2WD cannot go!

Old 01-27-2016, 01:56 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
.......It seems 4x4 gets people stuck faster than anything I know.
The 4WD vehicles don't get stuck so much as they tend to be the ones in wrecks or who have gone off the road.

4WD is great in the snow, but it will not stop you. It is OK on ice, but you have to drive in a cautious manner.

The reason 4WD vehicles are the ones in the winter wrecks is that some drivers don't understand that you can't drive like a maniac in the snow just because you have 4WD. 4WD is a useful aid for winter driving, but it does not make you invincible.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:07 AM

7 posts, read 13,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The 4WD vehicles don't get stuck so much as they tend to be the ones in wrecks or who have gone off the road.

4WD is great in the snow, but it will not stop you. It is OK on ice, but you have to drive in a cautious manner.

The reason 4WD vehicles are the ones in the winter wrecks is that some drivers don't understand that you can't drive like a maniac in the snow just because you have 4WD. 4WD is a useful aid for winter driving, but it does not make you invincible.
I agree there is a lot of idiots in lifted diesel trucks that tend to think they can drive at high speed in the snow and end up in the ditch.

I will say however, going from a 5 speed manual 2WD truck to a 5 speed manual 4WD truck I can slow down much faster engine braking (downshifting) then I could with the 2WD truck. My truck is geared quite low, so I can almost come to a standstill just engine braking in the snow and I will usually tap on my brake pedal just enough so the lights come on to warn drivers behind me that I am stopping. I try to avoid using the disc brakes if at all possible in the snow and give myself plenty of distance from the vehicle in front of me. Then again, this is only possible with a manual vehicle.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:49 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
Good snow tires will last if you don't spin them on the ice and snow ,that spinning wears off the edge of the tread and that's where most of the problem begins.
If you have worn down the edge, run the vehicle on dry pavement a while and in time they will wear to sharp again, but you must guard that you don't spin the tires in ice sand or snow .
On my old truck I put the narrowest possible aggressive tread snow tires on the front ,and regular snow tires on the back , this was like having 4WD almost.
I lived in the mountains so this meant a great deal to me.
I have small campers on my trucks for my tools and that adds to the load some what. also keeps it clear during the winter if I have to haul some thing, or need an emergency place to sleep on a long trip .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive