Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Just the other night I had two punks in a station wagon "challenging" me at a red light in Downtown Scranton, and I drive a Ford Contour! They were revving their engine and making cat calls at me (another male, so I don't know if they were trying to express "interest" or what?!) LOL! They took off like bats out of hell and turned left while I just drove normally.

Ford contours are sports sedans, that is why they were challenging you. I owned a 1999 Contour SVT that looked like this one. I was always getting people revving at me wanting to race. Also, you some station wagons are pretty fast (Volvo turbo wagons, Audi turbo wagens, Mazda 3 mazdaspeed, Subaru WRX sti) to name a few.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 07-14-2009 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:45 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Ok, I am sitting in my MDX - far from a sports car. There is an older Acura TSX next to me (it has a dented left front bumper and he has some music blaring). He is taunting me by revving his engine, etc.

So he takes off and I just slowly accelerate, as I usually do. He is like 1/16 mile away waving his hands like he won the Daytona 500. I thought it was funny that there are people who THINK they are getting respect by this.

So are you a racecar driver at the stoplight? Even if your competition is like a station wagon?
If your car can be driven to a stop light it's not fast enough.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Madison, WI? We cruise the Wash every summer. I've been doing it since I was 16. Good times, Good times. To many close calls though with the cops.
Yeah, we just left that area for SC. Lived up there for 25+ years. But cruising now isn't anything like the old days. We used to ( every Fri & Sat ) make runs down the wash, then pull over by Don Miller and open the hoods and hang around for awhile. Then go make a few more laps, late into the nite. Back then, during the "Street Machine" car show, there were tens of thousands of people lined up all the way to the capital watching cars go by. Awesome

I did cruise once last year in the wife's TC ( w/ supercharger and other mods ); actually running alongside my daughter and her bf in his S2K. Talk about surreal, cruising next to one's grown child in tuner cars... at least we raised our gal to be a car nut as well like us ( her TC will be turbo'd in the future ).

Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You are comparing a 1996 Z28 to a 1998 SS. This is not a reasonable comparison. The 1996 SS is also faster than a 1996 Z-28. What is the 0-60 time for a 1998 Z-28?

I do not remember if the LS-1 was faster, but I do know that it had a lot more problems.

These are the times I found for the camaro. 1998 is the year the ls1 came out.

1993 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.8 14.4 (lt1)
1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2 (lt1)
1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Conv. 6.2 14.5 (lt1)
1995 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.2 (lt1)
1995 Chevrolet Camaro 3800 7.4 15.7 (v6)
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.7 14.1 (lt1)
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 5.3 13.8 (lt1)
1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 5.2 13.7 (ls1)
1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS 5.2 13.6 (ls1)

Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
One of my summer-time joys happens when I'm at a stop-light on my motorcycle. It's a black Kawasaki Vulcan. Absolutely nothing special, but it's a V-Twin with Long-Shots - so it sounds a little mean.

If I'm first in line, beside a ricer boy, a few twists on the throttle guarantee that said poser is going to take off like a scalded dog. Meanwhile, I just ride as I otherwise would.

Why these kids think their car could actually beat a motorcycle, with an engine as big as the one in their car, is beyond me.

I've not yet been able to get a kid to do this in front of a cop, but it is one of my life goals.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
If your car can be driven to a stop light it's not fast enough.
I do not understand this statement ? Can you please explain?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
One of my summer-time joys happens when I'm at a stop-light on my motorcycle. It's a black Kawasaki Vulcan. Absolutely nothing special, but it's a V-Twin with Long-Shots - so it sounds a little mean.

If I'm first in line, beside a ricer boy, a few twists on the throttle guarantee that said poser is going to take off like a scalded dog. Meanwhile, I just ride as I otherwise would.

Why these kids think their car could actually beat a motorcycle, with an engine as big as the one in their car, is beyond me.

I've not yet been able to get a kid to do this in front of a cop, but it is one of my life goals.
It depends on the car and motorcycle. I personally watched a Corvette outrun a Harley. I am sure either one of these street cars would outrun your bike with no problem....

YouTube - Toyota supra vs. Hayabusa

YouTube - DPEcorvettes.com Supercharged corvette 920hp - scroll to 3:25

Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
It depends on the car and motorcycle. I personally watched a Corvette outrun a Harley. I am sure either one of these street cars would outrun your bike with no problem....
I'm sure they would.

But let's be honest about it. The majority of these posers are running around in cars that aren't very special. All they've done is stick a K&N aftermarket tube on the engine, ruined their suspension, and stuck an expensive coffee can on their tail-pipe. They're then convinced that they're driving in a NASCAR race.

We're not talking about 920 hp Corvettes here. The cap turned sideways is pretty much a dead giveaway.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:23 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not understand this statement ? Can you please explain?
He probably means that if your car is street legal, meaning you can drive it on public roads in order to get to a stop light, said car is not "fast enough."

Just guessing.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm sure they would.

But let's be honest about it. The majority of these posers are running around in cars that aren't very special. All they've done is stick a K&N aftermarket tube on the engine, ruined their suspension, and stuck an expensive coffee can on their tail-pipe. They're then convinced that they're driving in a NASCAR race. The cap turned sideways is pretty much a dead giveaway.

I agree with you that the majority of them are posers, but I had been surprised by a few rice mobiles. There was one riced out Civic back in Phoenix that ran a 10.6 quarter mile. He blew away my Probe turbo which was pretty quick itself at a 14.2 quarter mile. He blew away most anything on the street. You just never really know with them until you actually race them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive