Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,712,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
This is an aside from the OP's question, but something that isn't often discussed about the European WWII theater is the incidence of pilots intentionally ramming enemy planes. Although it may have been rare, there were cases reported toward the end of the war of German fighter pilots attempting to take down allied bombers over Germany by ramming. During the desperate early days of the fighting on the eastern front, Russian pilots who ran out of ammunition were known to have taken down several German planes in this manner. One was a Russian woman pilot. The Russians became very skilled at this and some were reported to have lived to perform the feat two or three times.
The Russians called the intentional ramming of an enemy aircraft a "taran", and, especially in the early days of the war, they were not uncommon. In some cases, the pilots actually survived.
At the very end of the war in Europe, in April, 1945, the Luftwaffe formed a special unit tasked with ramming Allied, mainly American bombers.
What the once mighty Luftwaffe was reduced to! The action, "Operation Elbe", was a total failure.

Last edited by hornet67; 11-01-2010 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 04:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
F14 tomcat, a great what if plane. you can be my wingman

Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Why would you call them brainwashed?

Because they were brainwashed.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:15 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Because they were brainwashed.
And the reason why it took 2 nukes to bring them on their knees.

Not to mention how they treated the POWs...Rape of Nanking, etc...sorry, but even Japanese don't want to talk about it...

Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,464,547 times
Not do derail this thread any further but it seems that America has an unusually high percentage of "brainwashed" enemies. Seems like most of the people we were at war with in the past 100 years or so (Vietcong, the Nazis, the Japanese, let alone Al-Qaeda and the Taliban) were brainwashed.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I too used to fly in the LA area (San Val and Pioneer at VNY); I got my commercial, CFI, instrument, and multi.

Anyway I was lucky enough to get a backseat ride in an F-4 Phantom with a Navy captain. He gave me Mach 1.1 and 6 gs. I also got a ride in an F-18D with a Marine Corp captain. I am glad I didn't puke on either ride.
Pardon being a bit off topic, but the way you put that makes me think you don't fly anymore - outside of the expense, why would you quit? A cousin got up to multi and from that point managed to at least break even or make a little money hauling medical commodities like blood on overnight flights. Somebody has to do it and it's hours. He's now an AF tanker pilot (Boeing 707 tanker, I forget the AF designation). So he plays in the sandbox, want to or not. Don't know if I should envy him or pity him, maybe some of both.

Getting back on topic - since I can read and speak Russian I guess I would go help out Uncle Joe and fly an Illyushin. Noblesse oblige and all that rot.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Pardon being a bit off topic, but the way you put that makes me think you don't fly anymore - outside of the expense, why would you quit? A cousin got up to multi and from that point managed to at least break even or make a little money hauling medical commodities like blood on overnight flights. Somebody has to do it and it's hours. He's now an AF tanker pilot (Boeing 707 tanker, I forget the AF designation). So he plays in the sandbox, want to or not. Don't know if I should envy him or pity him, maybe some of both.
It's an understandable question. I started flying when I was about 17 in 1978. I got my CFI when I was 19. About then the aviation industry was not doing great, pilots were getting layed off, a lot of pilots too step down jobs. It wasn't that easy to get students but I got a few.

But realistically, I wasn't cut out for being a pilot. I didn't have the personality. I ended up studying engineering and getting into that.

I was a good pilot, I got my licenses, certificates, and ratings quickly and got high scores on the very difficult instrument written exam. (I did fail a multi engine check ride though - before I even started the engines; I left the fuel cover door on the left engine nacelle open - automatic failure.)

I'm glad now though. I have traveled a little on my job over the past ten years or so and I wouldn't want that lifestyle, hotels, security, bars, - it was glamorous when I was 17 but it is nice to have a predictable life.

Sounds like your cousin flys the KC-135 Stratotanker.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/flying_1981_03.jpg?t=1288664808 (broken link)

No, I am not doing a quick bong load before practicing some chandelles and spins.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/charles_ucsb/flying_1981_02.jpg?t=1288664485 (broken link)

Last edited by Charles; 11-01-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 08:28 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haver View Post
Oh, definitely the PBY Catalina. Relatively far away from front line duty, but still pulling in a significant war effort spotting subs and performing search & rescue supply missions. Plus the romance of it is just overpowering for me - I imagine myself puttering into a seaplane base on some sun-kissed shore, and buying one after the war for fishing trips and sightseeing.

If you were to fly such an aircraft, especially around the Aleutian Islands in early 1942, any romantic notions of sightseeing would have been gone in seconds. A lumbering recon plane, it offered no defensive armament early in the war and could never hope to outfly a Zero. Cloud cover was this aircrafts best friend. Adding to the danger was the fact that many Zero's would return to the crew and machinegun them in their life rafts.

This plane, however, remains ageless, and unlike most of the aircraft of its era, it never got obsolete, and still remains in use today.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
This is an aside from the OP's question, but something that isn't often discussed about the European WWII theater is the incidence of pilots intentionally ramming enemy planes. Although it may have been rare, there were cases reported toward the end of the war of German fighter pilots attempting to take down allied bombers over Germany by ramming. During the desperate early days of the fighting on the eastern front, Russian pilots who ran out of ammunition were known to have taken down several German planes in this manner. One was a Russian woman pilot. The Russians became very skilled at this and some were reported to have lived to perform the feat two or three times.
The Germans had a special squad for ramming Allied bombers in WW2, they were called the "Rammkommando Elbe"

Rammkommando "ELBE" - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The military channel had a piece on this last year.....

My choice of plane? The Northrop P-61 Black Widow

Old 11-01-2010, 09:22 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'd fly a B-17 or B-24 with some kick-ass nose art
Sorry, I know this is a bit OT, but I thought you'd all find it interesting. I was surprised at how thin the metal was on these planes. These are pics of a historical reconstruction of the nose & gun turret of a B17.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation