Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We would not have jet aircraft, or have put anyone on the moon, or have a civilian GPS system, had it not been for proven battlefield technology. If battlefield technology has proven to be effective, and there is a civilian use for the technology, then why should it not be put to practical use in the civilian sector? Are civilans using predator drones or is it only a government tool (military & law enfocement agencies)? Can I buy one to fly over and look at everyone and their property I want or is that an invasion of privacy?

With regard to law enforcement, we should use the most effective tools at our disposal. Remember, it is not the tool that is the problem, but how that tool is being used. As long as government upholds our constitutionally protected rights, then it should not matter what tool they choose to use.
Highlighted part is the key. Our Constitutionally protected liberties are not being upheld. The 4th, 5th & 6th Amendments have been effectively gutted by legislation (Non-expiration of Patriot Act) or are in the legislative process of being gutted, respectively, (S-1876).

Sen. Rand Paul Speaks on the Senate Floor on Defense Authorization Act - 11/29/11 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
History has proven that eventually the tools of war used by our own armed forces on foreign battlefields are eventually brought home and used against the citizens of the US.

Thank you for illustrating the slippery slope upon which citizens have lost every reasonable expectation of privacy on their own property. Orwellian is it not?
What privacy does one have out in public?

Go sunbathe in your back yard nude and watch how fast your neighbors report you...

(unless you live in San Francisco)

Old 12-12-2011, 12:58 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:

Are civilans using predator drones or is it only a government tool (military & law enfocement agencies)? Can I buy one to fly over and look at everyone and their property I want or is that an invasion of privacy?
Yes, civilians are using drones.
  • Farmers in Japan already use small drones to automatically spray their crops with pesticides, and more recently safety inspectors used them at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant; and
  • Archaeologists in Russia are using small drones and their infrared cameras to construct a 3-D model of ancient burial mounds.
The FAA says there are technical issues to be addressed before they are introduced in civil airspace. Among them is how to respond if a communication link is lost with a drone — such as when it falls out of the sky, takes a nose dive into a backyard pool or crashes through someone's roof. These issues to be addressed apply to law enforcement as well as the civilian sector.

Quote:
Highlighted part is the key. Our Constitutionally protected liberties are not being upheld. The 4th, 5th & 6th Amendments have been effectively gutted by legislation (Non-expiration of Patriot Act) or are in the legislative process of being gutted, respectively, (S-1876).
Complete hogwash. There is nothing unconstitutional with regard to either the USAPATRIOT Act or S. 1876. Neither law violates any of our constitutionally protected rights. Maybe you should try actually reading the law instead of listening to the media hype.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Yes, civilians are using drones.
  • Farmers in Japan already use small drones to automatically spray their crops with pesticides, and more recently safety inspectors used them at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant; and
  • Archaeologists in Russia are using small drones and their infrared cameras to construct a 3-D model of ancient burial mounds.
The FAA says there are technical issues to be addressed before they are introduced in civil airspace. Among them is how to respond if a communication link is lost with a drone — such as when it falls out of the sky, takes a nose dive into a backyard pool or crashes through someone's roof. These issues to be addressed apply to law enforcement as well as the civilian sector.

Thank you, by your own admission they are not being used by citizen civilians in the US in US airspace.

Complete hogwash. There is nothing unconstitutional with regard to either the USAPATRIOT Act or S. 1876. Neither law violates any of our constitutionally protected rights. Maybe you should try actually reading the law instead of listening to the media hype.
Sen. McCain, is that you?

I do read the legislation, thank you. Your repeated use of the term "civilian" tells me all I need to know about your elitist additude. Maybe you are a staffer for warmonger Sen. McCain or Graham?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
History has proven that eventually the tools of war used by our own armed forces on foreign battlefields are eventually brought home and used against the citizens of the US.

Thank you for illustrating the slippery slope upon which citizens have lost every reasonable expectation of privacy on their own property. Orwellian is it not?
Traffic cam is an invastion of privacy? Maybe if you think you own the road.

I guess you guys are referring to the radar gun....a military invention used to squash my right to go 120mph down the freeway.

Seriously, military inventions and innovations find their way into many many applications like the heads up display in my sportscar, tons and tons of electronic innovations in phones, computers....velcro was a US govt invention...and so on and so forth.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:48 PM

I'm waiting for one of our local constitutional experts to explain to me how getting a search warrant and then using a drone to spot the 3 guys is wrong. Please, do not embelish and alter facts by claiming that next thing you know they will just fire a hellfire missle at the guys and abolish trials.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
That's it....off to the FEMA concentration camp with you!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:51 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
How is this any different than the police observing while slowly driving by in a police car?
Good luck driving by a locked privacy fence, and seeing through it.

That's why they should need a warrant.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:50 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
I guess some posters overlooked the fact that the technology on the drones allows it to 'see' through walls and into buildings....

What of that?

Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I am sure there will be some who find nothing wrong with surveillance drones being used against Americans...

Police employ Predator drone spy planes on home front - latimes.com
What's the issue? The drones have to abide by the same 4th amendment restrictions as any other form of police surveillance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I guess some posters overlooked the fact that the technology on the drones allows it to 'see' through walls and into buildings....

What of that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyllo_v._United_States

Thermal imaging of a home constitutes a Fourth Amendment "search" and may be done only with a warrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation