Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 PM

940 posts, read 968,995 times

Advertisements

I just recently went to Camaguey in Cuba. This was my first time there. I was surprised at the friendliness of everyone.

The flight was on an AA A319 that holds around 130. It was completely full going down and about 70% full coming back. Much higher than I was expecting going to the small secondary airport.

The only weird thing is a Cuban security car follows the aircraft out to the runway to make sure no stowaways try to get on board.

Varadero is absolutely gorgeous. Look up some pics online. It's a popular destination for tourists and is a nice quiet beach town.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 09:34 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
I've been to Cuba three times. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and I've found the speaking the language opens up doors. They tell you where the best beaches are ( non touristy), best places to shop, best places to eat and best places to stay. Loved the people, architecture and the food.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:52 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Silver and Frontier Airways will cease flying to Havana in the next several weeks.

Two airlines already calling it quits in Cuba
Well that didn't last long now did it?

Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
That isn't good news - I thought that with the reopening of Cuba, lots of airlines would be flying there and it was going to be a hot destination. I heard that a lot of American hotels are opening there and also big chains are interested in having an outpost there. I've never been to Cuba, but always thought maybe one day I would. I love the architecture, well the houses pre-revolution, all the colors, styles of design. I love the food, I guess I don't have to go all the way to Cuba to taste the food but it wouldn't be in Cuba. Black beans, rice, and a fried egg for breakfast, I am thinking right now, usually I have a simple breakfast of toast and coffee, but in Cuba they have that for breakfast!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:30 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
First, the pullout isn't because nobody is going to Cuba, the pullout is because every major airline now has multiple flights to Cuba from Multiple departing locations.

Imagine it this way, a new development is being built next to your community. In anticipation of the population increase, 20 new restaurants and 12 new supermarkets opened in 6 months all along a spot where both your community and the new community can easily be serviced. However, the Jack-In-the-Box located at the far end of town and the Billy-Bob general store near the railroad tracks decide to close and go elsewhere. Does that mean the new development is a failure? No, it means their is a glut of capacity that still isn't fulfilled. That's Cuba; increase traffic but not yet to full capacity and having two airlines who already were teetering on under performance on those routes.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:33 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
I also think that to let their own economy develop properly, one should give room for their own airlines to serve US cities and do not push them down due to much more powerful US airlines. It is a long way to go for Cubana to be competitive in any way though, I never experienced an airline that was as bad as Cubana. Slow, unfriendly, uncomfortable, delayed,...

Old 03-14-2017, 02:54 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
It seems interesting to see it but at the same time i just dont feel right going there. The lives these people are forced to live is jst depressing. It doesnt seem right to go there with my money so i can walk around these people living on nothing in an oppressed regime.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:13 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It seems interesting to see it but at the same time i just dont feel right going there. The lives these people are forced to live is jst depressing. It doesnt seem right to go there with my money so i can walk around these people living on nothing in an oppressed regime.
By that logic you would have to avoid visiting a lot of countries.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:01 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Folks, Cuba has had trade relations with European countries and others around the world for years. EU companies have a lot of investment there. It's not like there is no tourism infrastructure or restaurants.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:46 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullandre View Post
Been to Cuba twice (Jan - Feb 2016 the last time); of course the country won't be in this best shape because of the wicked and unfair embargo placed on it by America. Over time with more foreign investment the country will thrive.
Uhh, maybe you are too young to remember, but we HAD an immense amount of investment in the Cuban economy back in the 1950's and before, and the US owned businesses were forcibly nationalized by the Castro government.

Oh, and they kind of were allied with a problematic nation state called the Soviet Union, who was not exactly our best friend back then.

Only then did we embargo Cuba.

Fun fact: The Cuban refugees living in the USA were the biggest proponents of the embargo, having first hand knowledge of the damage being done to their homeland by the Castro Regime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation