Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 12:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,332,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
American citizens can travel there under 12 categories without needing to apply for a permit or go on one of those expensive "People to People" tours. One of the categories ("support of the Cuban people") is so broad it could mean anything. When booking your flight, the website makes you choose one of the categories and that's it. Well of course besides getting the Cuban tourist card/visa. However, there's conflicting information out there and some confusion still.

Plus even for me as a seasoned traveler, not having access to ATMs or credit cards was intimidating when planning the trip.

Yes I never thought of the ATM as I could use mine and did once I think. But I knew that when I was there that Americans could not but thought it had been overturned, thanks for correcting me. I think I used the credit card a couple of times as well, one for our one day tour we took and the other might of been for the purchase of cigars for a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 01:28 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,002,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
and detroit

I doubt Detroit is a tourist destination

Old 03-14-2017, 02:29 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
By that logic you would have to avoid visiting a lot of countries.

No, not really

Old 03-14-2017, 02:30 PM

13,133 posts, read 21,021,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Folks, Cuba has had trade relations with European countries and others around the world for years. EU companies have a lot of investment there. It's not like there is no tourism infrastructure or restaurants.
Unfortunately, even though other countries had rather normal relationships with Cuba, the USA has used extensive bully tactics to keep other countries and foreign businesses from fully trading with Cuba. There have been numerous foreign companies that complained over being denied the ability to engage in commerce with US companies simply because they also sold goods to Cuba. The US needed this pressure otherwise, the voids would easily be filled by others and the US embargo would essentially be worthless. The Us felt if american companies can't freely sell to Cuba, nobody else will get that open opportunity. So sad.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:46 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,268,936 times
I know somebody who flew from Toronto to Cuba from the USA

Old 03-14-2017, 03:07 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,118,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I've been to Cuba three times. I am a fluent Spanish speaker and I've found the speaking the language opens up doors. They tell you where the best beaches are ( non touristy), best places to shop, best places to eat and best places to stay. Loved the people, architecture and the food.
This is very true. As a decent speaker of Russian, I have found I get way better treatment all around when in country, compared to English-only Gringos. And you get the most interesting candid conversations, stuff they would not put through an official interpreter, about how many six-guns I normally carry at home. (Many Russians, at least in the 90's, got all their ideas about America from TV programs).

It also dispels the all-too-true "Uglo-American" myth that no American speaks a foreign language.

To get back on topic, probably the Russian would work OK in Cuba as well.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
wait until some major all inclusives open up people will be there in larger numbers.

I think the airlines all jumped on routes and there is currently to much supply relative to demand that will change over time

look at Cancun. a dinky town in 1970 and now a top ten international airport in the world, it will take time and not all travelers are as adventurous. When disneyfied experiences start to take off so will come more flights

Plus I need Johnny Ollas bar/place to open up from the Godfather - then will be there...

Old 03-14-2017, 03:37 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,332,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
wait until some major all inclusives open up people will be there in larger numbers.

I think the airlines all jumped on routes and there is currently to much supply relative to demand that will change over time

look at Cancun. a dinky town in 1970 and now a top ten international airport in the world, it will take time and not all travelers are as adventurous. When disneyfied experiences start to take off so will come more flights

Plus I need Johnny Ollas bar/place to open up from the Godfather - then will be there...

Are there not already major all inclusive in Cuba? I ask this as there are all inclusive resorts that Canadians and Brits go to but I did not as I wanted to see Cuba nor a resort. But maybe these are not what you would call major, I really do not know if they are or not. I just know that of the plane load I came in on only four of us did not go to the resorts, one stayed between the airport and Havana and three of us in Havana. I was also told that most Canadians just stay at the resorts with a day trip into Havana. I might do that some time when I get old but I am only 66 right now

Old 03-14-2017, 04:52 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,895,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Are there not already major all inclusive in Cuba? I ask this as there are all inclusive resorts that Canadians and Brits go to but I did not as I wanted to see Cuba nor a resort. But maybe these are not what you would call major, I really do not know if they are or not. I just know that of the plane load I came in on only four of us did not go to the resorts, one stayed between the airport and Havana and three of us in Havana. I was also told that most Canadians just stay at the resorts with a day trip into Havana. I might do that some time when I get old but I am only 66 right now
There are tons of all-inclusive resorts all over Cuba. The biggest cluster is probably in Varadero. Larger Canadian Tour operators like Sunwing actually own resorts in Cuba. You fly on a Sunwing flight there and stay at a Sunwing resort. They have a large and very organized operation down there. The country has been consistently one of the cheapest places for Canadians to get an all inclusive vacation for decades now. Consistently about 1 million Canadians visit Cuba per year. You are right that most go simply for an all inclusive resort type vacation by the beach type thing. During a Canadian winter this isn't necessarily a bad thing!

There are also a few resorts in around Havana as well. You can take a bus into Havana for about 3 CUC (about 3 USD as they peg their dollar to the American). So in this regard you can combine a city and beach vacation though typically these resorts are not as good as in Varadero, Holguin or Santa Clara.

www.sunwing.ca

I've been to Cuba four times now - 2 times on Sunwing and two times on Cubana and always have a blast. Going through Customs/Immigration is easy for Canadians atleast. They never ask questions and don't even stamp passport. I've seen Americans flying out of Toronto to Cuba but not sure if they are subject to any special conditions or if their passports are stamped or not. If they are flying on a Canadian Carrier I doubt it lol..

If you don't want to go to a resort you can also just fly there and backpack around the country. One of the more interesting experiences is to stay at a Casa Particular. You basically rent a room or an apartment and stay with the locals. Generally they go for about 25 CUC (25-30USD) per night in Havana and less in smaller cities. I've stayed in a few before and they are great. Viazul is the bus service in Cuba - you can go all over the island with this and for a very reasonable price. I highly recommend Pinar Del Rio, Vinalas Valley, Trinidad and Santiago De Cuba.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-14-2017 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-14-2017, 05:55 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,676,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Likewise, I don't know why anyone would spend valuable money and time to go to Disney or be cooped up on a cruise ship. Diff'rent strokes.

I went to Cuba on Spirit last January - the flights there/back from FLL were about 30% full. It's just going to take a long time for the routes to catch on due to confusion about the OFAC rules and the lack of tourist infrastructure. The airlines that stick with their routes to Cuba are making a long-term investment.

I loved every second of the trip (Havana, Vinales, Cienfuegos and Trinidad) - friendly people, music everywhere, amazing art, cheap mojitos, being disconnected from wifi and social media.
We spend winters in the FL Keys. In December roughly 112 Cubans arrived in make shift boats. Now that the Wet Foot Dry Foot has been eliminated, they are now smuggling Cubans in. This week they caught 29 Cubans being brought into the Keys illegally in a speedboat. If the Cubans don't want to stay there, I have no desire to go there either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation