Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 02:53 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Maybe you're ok with bending over and taking it, but what if this man had an emergency and needed to be where he was going?

He paid for his ticket. He was issued a boarding pass that he paid for, and was assigned a seat.

Don't see how he broke any law. If anything, his civic rights were violated.
Since he didn't charter a private plane, the passenger's rights are according to the airline's rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Quote:
Maybe you're ok with bending over and taking it, but what if this man had an emergency and needed to be where he was going?

He paid for his ticket. He was issued a boarding pass that he paid for, and was assigned a seat.

And this is why airline customer service is lousy. Because too many people are lining up to bend over and take it.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,984,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
If United, or any other major carrier for that matter, can survive the bad PR from a plane crash I doubt if they are very worried about the PR of this incident. Within a few days the vast majority of the flying public that was even aware of the incident will have forgotten all about it. Business travelers will continue to fly on whichever flight their companies book them on. People flying on personal business will continue to try to book whichever flight they can save 5 dollars on.

Being forcibly removed was brought on by the passenger. He choose to disobey the police orders.
I always see United flights $100 or so cheaper than Southwest, but I don't book them, because it's United. My company doesn't mind.

You should look into getting a job with United with that attitude, though -- you embody the "our customers are just lifeless carbon masses who, if they wanted to be treated like human beings, they would fly another airline" ethos quite beautifully.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Quote:

What if the 4 pilots did not get to where they needed to be and another flight was cancelled altogether resulting in a plane full of passengers not getting to where they needed to go...We can play what if all day long. The bottom line is the passenger chose to disobey the police and paid the price for it.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:15 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
Quote:

When will ever learn. The place to argue such things is not on board the aircraft, and not to cops. Just like when you get pulled over. Arguing with cops just gets you arrested.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:27 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
Whichever way you look at it, its an unnecessary and avoidable PR disaster as both US and international media are now reporting it.

Innocent passenger dragged screaming off overbooked plane - The Scotsman

Meanwhile, United CEO has been forced to issue an apology:

"This is an upsetting event to all of us here at United," CEO Oscar Munoz said in a statement. "I apologize for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened."

Bet he had better things to do on a Monday morning than firefight this mess. And now they are going to have to spend time on their own detailed review.

I should imagine that United are now wishing that they offered a bit more to get passengers to voluntarily give up their seats.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:29 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I always see United flights $100 or so cheaper than Southwest, but I don't book them, because it's United. My company doesn't mind.

You should look into getting a job with United with that attitude, though -- you embody the "our customers are just lifeless carbon masses who, if they wanted to be treated like human beings, they would fly another airline" ethos quite beautifully.

I never said United was a great airline. However it does not matter which airline you fly on, when an airline does not get enough volunteers they have to take some action which someone is going to get bent out of shape over. Someone with a cell phone will take a video of it. It will make the news and lots of people will come out and say just how bad that airline is. A few days later just about everyone will have forgotten about it.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Another board that I was on had someone point out that United should have just paid for the crew to fly on another airline if it was that dire a situation. They handled this incredibly poorly. With proper incentives, someone would have given up their seats. The guy was a doctor who was apparently quite desperate to be able to meet with patients in the morning. Not a good look for United.
this would begood enough reason to try and find someone else to voluntarily leave the plane for the next flight.

Quote:

our rights are only those that prevent the government from doing things like this to us, not private companies. the company was well within their rights to forcibly remove the guy under a variety contractual issues.

is it right they did this? my thinking is no. what will happen in the end? i dont know, but is suspect that united is going to have to do a lot of damage control, and will also likely have to pay out a very large sum of money to this guy, far more than they would have if they had just offered someone else a larger amount of money to voluntarily leave the plane for a later flight.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
What if the 4 pilots did not get to where they needed to be and another flight was cancelled altogether resulting in a plane full of passengers not getting to where they needed to go...We can play what if all day long. The bottom line is the passenger chose to disobey the police and paid the price for it.
Seems someone dropped the logistical ball on the four crew members and instead of finding a more timely alternative means to get them there, they forced the issue treating a paying and nondisruptive passenger like a criminal causing him bodily harm in the process.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
-One of the officers involved has been placed on leave

-United Airlines has issued an apology

-Aviation security experts have stated that this is very troubling to see and that in instances of overbooking, passengers are bumped PRIOR to boarded rather than being assualted and forcibly dragged off of a plane after they have already been issued a boarding pass and issued a seat.

For someone who so-called "disobeyed a direct order", seems to me that it is the officers involved along with the airline who are in "hot water".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation