Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 05:15 AM

981 posts, read 901,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
NO, they weren't.

Three boarding passes, for the THREE tickets they had purchased.

One for mom, holding the one-year old. One for dad, who had planned originally to hold the two-year-old. One for the teen-aged son. They decided to send the teen-aged son back earlier, and use the originally booked seat for the teen-aged son for the two-year-old son. They discussed this with Delta ahead of time. When they got to the airport, the agent told them that ideally they should cancel the teen-aged son's ticket and get it re-issued in the two-year-old's name, but then the agent said it would be okay as is, and the agent gave them three boarding passes. They got on the plane, where the flight crew discovered the discrepancy in names. There were passengers on standby to take any extra seats, and the flight crew decided the two-year-old's seat should be made available. The flight crew then lied to the family about FAA rules, and tried to coerce them. The man argued with them. The flight crew decided to eject the family. The family was not offered any compensation for the seat by the flight crew, nor were they given any assistance after being de-boarded after midnight.

Massively mishandled by the airline.
Something about this just doesn't make sense - especially why the airline thought that seat was vacant and reissued another ticket. Playing out what was said here, isn't this how it would have gone down? Father goes to check-in for flight, tells agent that the toddler will be flying in older sons seat, despite it being not policy, agent issues a boarding pass in older sons name. Family goes through security, I'm assuming telling TSA that the toddler is sitting in his lap, so he doesnt show the older sons boarding pass to that agent as the ID would not have matched. Time to board the plane. Since ID isn't required upon boarding a domestic flight, why wouldn't he have given the older sons boarding pass for the agent to scan as the ticket for the toddler? If that were the case, then the airline wouldn't have thought that seat was a no show and issued a ticket to another person. If the father isn't bs'ing here, the mistake would have been that he didnt scan that boarding pass. And why put the son on an earlier flight? I smell bs. However, this was VERY poorly managed from a customer service perspective by that flight attendant.

Last edited by klaucka; 05-06-2017 at 05:28 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 06:14 AM

1,158 posts, read 962,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Putting kids in car seats on planes always cracked me up. The chances are so slim that something were to happen.
People have to lug their car seats with them on planes because of car seat laws in the state you are going to visit. It's not because you're worried the plane is going to crash...lol

If you are going to visit grandma in another state and grandma doesn't have a car seat because you don't see her very often, then you have to bring your own car seat with you. It's a total pain.

Some people are very cheap and choose not to buy a ticket for their infants/toddlers. In that case they are "lap riders" and must sit on the parents lap for the whole flight. If I go to the expense of purchasing a ticket for my child to have their own seat -- I should get that seat.

Flying is awful these days and I avoid it whenever I can.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:35 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,522,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Putting kids in car seats on planes always cracked me up. The chances are so slim that something were to happen.
But if it did the kid would most likely be killed sitting on a parents lap.
Unfair to the kid to expect to sit this way for 5 hours.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because that's part of why non-refundable tickets are cheap. They know a certain number of people will not show up for their flights and they can sell the seats again at a much higher price to a standby passenger. That's exactly what happened here. The 18-year-old didn't show up for the flight so they sold the seat to a standby.
But the family did show up the industry however saw an opportunity to double dip and seized the family's ticket to get an extra fare

Old 05-06-2017, 08:32 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
But the family did show up the industry however saw an opportunity to double dip and seized the family's ticket to get an extra fare
The ticketed passenger- the 18 year old- was a no show. It wasn't a seizure of his ticket, it was a voluntary surrender of it under the Contract of Carriage of the airline. If they notify the airline in advance, they can get most of the back in most conditions as a credit toward future flights minus a change fee.

And there's no evidence that it was double dipping by the airline. Delta has said the flight in question was not oversold. They were clearing the standby list, and there are many reasons why standby lists are a good idea. What if the person who was trying to standby was trying to change their ticket because of a family emergency back home, and the people who arrogantly thought they could just reuse a voided ticket for their lap infant were keeping that person from seeing a loved one for the last time?

Old 05-06-2017, 08:36 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,762,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
No, the passenger didn't show up. The family did, not the ticketed passenger. That is the key to this issue. It is truly a ridiculous regulation in this instance, but it is the regulation.

Something needs to be done to change flying. The airlines keep pushing more and more onto passengers who don't have a lot of choices and you are stuck dealing with it.

Airlines are incredibly rigid and don't bend the rules. My father was dying last year and I was traveling. I wanted to change the destination of my ticket from home to visit my father. The regulations allowed me to do it for a small fee, of almost $700. It was cheaper to buy a one way ticket.

They used to be all about customer service and realized they can nickel and dime us and we have to put up with it. More and more people fly now whether it is for work, family visits or vacations. Airlines take advantage any way they can. The 'feel good' stories are so few from airlines it's insane.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,106,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
Something about this just doesn't make sense - especially why the airline thought that seat was vacant and reissued another ticket. Playing out what was said here, isn't this how it would have gone down? Father goes to check-in for flight, tells agent that the toddler will be flying in older sons seat, despite it being not policy, agent issues a boarding pass in older sons name. Family goes through security, I'm assuming telling TSA that the toddler is sitting in his lap, so he doesnt show the older sons boarding pass to that agent as the ID would not have matched. Time to board the plane. Since ID isn't required upon boarding a domestic flight, why wouldn't he have given the older sons boarding pass for the agent to scan as the ticket for the toddler? If that were the case, then the airline wouldn't have thought that seat was a no show and issued a ticket to another person. If the father isn't bs'ing here, the mistake would have been that he didnt scan that boarding pass. And why put the son on an earlier flight? I smell bs. However, this was VERY poorly managed from a customer service perspective by that flight attendant.
That is a good point. If, as the father says, he was told it was no big problem and that he could just use the 18 year old's ticket, then why did they not issue him a boarding pass? Problem solved. His statement has always been questionable to me - for many reasons.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:46 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,515,041 times
To that I'll add that not once during the eight minute video does either parent mention having a conversation with any Delta employees about swapping the ticket and receiving approval from Delta to do so. Not once. This happened two weeks ago and other then retelling the story with the added claim that "Delta said it was ok" there has been no proof offered.

What worked out in this family's favor was the idiotic Delta employee who did a lousy job explaining the specifics of why that seat was being revoked and instead trying bullsh*tting the family into some non-existent regulation about kids in car seats. In the end it was the words of that employee that forced Delta into damage control mode.

As far as I'm concerned the family came out ahead. I doubt this will escalate any further as a result.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,368,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
That is a good point. If, as the father says, he was told it was no big problem and that he could just use the 18 year old's ticket, then why did they not issue him a boarding pass? Problem solved. His statement has always been questionable to me - for many reasons.
Father had three boarding passes. One in the name of the older son. And Delta had agreed both by phone and at check in that he could use it. Delta just screwed up.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Father had three boarding passes. One in the name of the older son. And Delta had agreed both by phone and at check in that he could use it. Delta just screwed up.
I smell a lawsuit then. I say that these settlements are eventually going to raise prices more so than ending over booking policies would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation