Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM

63 posts, read 98,415 times

Advertisements

i enjoy fighting people at Mcdonalds so baltimore is really the perfect place for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM

235 posts, read 360,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
One caveat... this is true if you are not poor. If you have the means to live in a decent neighborhood (and it doesn't take all that much to get there) and go out once in a while then Baltimore is a sweet, sweet deal IMO. But if you can't afford much, I suspect you life can be hellish.
Unfortunately that is a common problem across the country. In no way is it a Baltimore-only problem.

Go visit South West Houston. It is literally a different world there with several murders there each night. It's sad. This country has many, many issues and problems.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Go visit South West Houston. It is literally a different world there ...
How is Gov. Perry working out for you? You get what you vote for.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM

235 posts, read 360,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
How is Gov. Perry working out for you? You get what you vote for.
Well, I certainly didn't vote for him.

But many of the problems are associated with issues that have been around in this country for decades - horrific education for inner city students, drug and alcohol addiction, broken families due to a failed drug war, chronic gang violence and a general sense of hopelessness for kids who grow up in certain areas.

It also didn't help that the city accepted many people from New Orleans following Katrina and, due to a need to house tens of thousands of people on a very short notice, they just moved the majority to a series of apartments complexes in SW Houston without having the time to properly screen them. As a result, rival gang members were placed in close proximity to each other, many times at the same complex (sometimes, right down the hallway from each other). The violence and murder rate skyrocketed and the area has never recovered.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
I plan to move there because it will allow me to lead a pedestrian lifestyle at an affordable price. Mount Vernon is beautiful and it is rich in culture with things to do.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bless1 View Post
Baltimore is a ****-hole. I moved here 2 yrs ago from Manhattan and this city has some truly ignorant, zero fashion sense, small minded people. It's like their entire world revolves around crabs and the Ravens in this city. Some mediocre looking women who think that they're something hot to look @, who also have no fashion sense(I'm comparing them to other cities that I've lived such as London, LA, Miami, NY) it's like the black folk here are just happy being ignorant, and the white folk mostly look like they just rolled out of bed and very frumpy. My trash bin was stolen from infront my house twice ( who steals a trash bin???). The city has a problem with abandoned homes yet there's still ppl living homeless..you'd think they'd pump some money into some programmes to get the local economy thriving. Don't tell me about the inner harbor either, after two hrs at cheescake factory what else is there to do? I live in Fells Point and if this one of the 'better' parts of Baltimore..then like I said, Baltimore is a ****-hole.
Move somewhere else then if its not for you; this town won't miss you at all.

Once upon a time NYC was a dump too, Rudy cleaned that up nicely. But NYC is a lot bigger, has excellent mass transit, a strong economy - all things that make it a lot easier to make changes.

As for fashion sense, is that really important? Really?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 AM

63 posts, read 98,415 times
I like that Pallasides park area along the Hudson river in New Jersey. i wouldn't be surprised if most new yorkers never been there. LOL

Old 12-15-2012, 05:43 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Quote:
Baltimore is a ****-hole. I moved here 2 yrs ago from Manhattan and this city has some truly ignorant, zero fashion sense, small minded people. It's like their entire world revolves around crabs and the Ravens in this city. Some mediocre looking women who think that they're something hot to look @, who also have no fashion sense(I'm comparing them to other cities that I've lived such as London, LA, Miami, NY) it's like the black folk here are just happy being ignorant, and the white folk mostly look like they just rolled out of bed and very frumpy. My trash bin was stolen from infront my house twice ( who steals a trash bin???). The city has a problem with abandoned homes yet there's still ppl living homeless..you'd think they'd pump some money into some programmes to get the local economy thriving. Don't tell me about the inner harbor either, after two hrs at cheescake factory what else is there to do? I live in Fells Point and if this one of the 'better' parts of Baltimore..then like I said, Baltimore is a ****-hole.
It's a shame a post like this had to bump what is an otherwise great thread I was enjoying.

Unreal that someone from NY is trashing the city. I'm am not planning as so much driving through that cold and unfriendly city of New York ever again, especially Manhattan. On my last visit there 6 months ago someone threw a firecracker at me a block from MSG and I was verbally harrassed by many people for wearing a Washington Capitals jersey to a game there. I've been to many Oriole games in both Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards and I never saw Baltimore fans behave that was toward New Yorkers. When they used to attend Oriole vs. Yankee games and take over the Yard they were the most obnoxious fans I have ever seen. Almost all of them were very unfriendly and have crappy attitudes. And here you are the one mentioning "ignorant."

LOL that you don't approve of fashion here. That's a matter of taste. I suggest you move out, maybe to a nearby suburb if you hate it here so much. Or perhaps back to NY. With your attitude from what I observed and experienced from that city and many of it's citizens you fit right in.
NY does not have better looking women either. Maybe you just see more women that you approve of because it's obviously a bigger city.

Homelessness doesn't just exist in Baltimore and it is worse in other cities.

I've lived in the unfriendly confinds of the Washington, DC area my entire life (57 years) and I'm looking forward to my move to Baltimore. This thread has given me hope of a big culture shock (and I mean that is a positive way) that I hope to experience.

More posts please!!!

Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 PM

553 posts, read 1,706,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
It's a shame a post like this had to bump what is an otherwise great thread I was enjoying.

Unreal that someone from NY is trashing the city. I'm am not planning as so much driving through that cold and unfriendly city of New York ever again, especially Manhattan. On my last visit there 6 months ago someone threw a firecracker at me a block from MSG and I was verbally harrassed by many people for wearing a Washington Capitals jersey to a game there. I've been to many Oriole games in both Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards and I never saw Baltimore fans behave that was toward New Yorkers. When they used to attend Oriole vs. Yankee games and take over the Yard they were the most obnoxious fans I have ever seen. Almost all of them were very unfriendly and have crappy attitudes. And here you are the one mentioning "ignorant."

LOL that you don't approve of fashion here. That's a matter of taste. I suggest you move out, maybe to a nearby suburb if you hate it here so much. Or perhaps back to NY. With your attitude from what I observed and experienced from that city and many of it's citizens you fit right in.
NY does not have better looking women either. Maybe you just see more women that you approve of because it's obviously a bigger city.

Homelessness doesn't just exist in Baltimore and it is worse in other cities.

I've lived in the unfriendly confinds of the Washington, DC area my entire life (57 years) and I'm looking forward to my move to Baltimore. This thread has given me hope of a big culture shock (and I mean that is a positive way) that I hope to experience.

More posts please!!!
Umm..err...have you been to a Ravens game? Not that Baltimore is the only NFL town to be hostile to visitors, but it gets downright violent inside and outside the stadium, particularly against divisional rivals.

I would disagree with whomever posted the women in Baltimore are unattractive. That's a subjective thing, and perhaps one could say they tend to be trashier and not as fashionable as NYC, but you can't really compare most of the country to NYC.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:21 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
Quote:
Eh. I'm from NYC too, born and raised. But seriously? A ****-hole? You live in Fells. Bushwick can be called a **** hole. In Fells you are surrounded by professionals with good jobs who live in nice apartments and who go bar hopping with those just like themselves on the weekend. You think stupid petty crime doesn't happen in the East Village? C'mon son. LOL

Comparing Baltimore to Miami and London? Really? It's not that kind of place. Have you really only lived in world class type cities? No wonder you are disappointed! This post is like people who move to NYC from Peoria and complian the city is crowded and dirty and everyone moves too fast. LOL. YOU LIVE IN BALTIMORE. Did you think it was known for its high fashion and exciting nightlife? Isn't this supposed to be a steel mill blue collar town? Would you go to Pittsbugh looking for surfers? Would you move to Des Moines and complain thàt the people hadn't ever lived outside the Midwest? This might be a problem about your expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore