Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM

690 posts, read 1,006,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I'm over it.
I changed my mind. First I don't even know what a half smokes and mambo is it sounds racist. Secondly, a white population that live in the suburbs. So do you mean who live in Maryland or Virginia, and not DC. Ethiopians +1 but Hispanics and African Americans really? Nearly every east coast city have hispanic and black population. Last but not least this isn't even your post your trying to start a debate with. Now I'm over it.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 02-10-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 06:33 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Lmao! Ok!

Quote:
I changed my mind. First I don't even know what a half smokes and mambo is it sounds racist. Secondly, a white population that live in the suburbs. So do you mean who live in Maryland or Virginia, and not DC. Ethiopians +1 but Hispanics and African Americans really? Nearly every east coast city have hispanic and black population. Last but not least this isn't even your post your trying to start a debate with. Now I'm over it.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:24 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Lmao! Ok!
Quote:

Yall funny...but its local food from the local carry-out. Get to know mambo sauce with your chicken and fries next time. But DC still has about 50% black population maybe about 300,000+ african americans but then the suburbs have more. PG has almost 600,000 black folks alone regardless of Montgo . That situation is what makes DC different than most cities then say like Detroit where all the black folks are confined to the city.

Last edited by boreatwork; 02-11-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-11-2014, 06:18 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Yall funny...but its local food from the local carry-out. Get to know mambo sauce with your chicken and fries next time. But DC still has about 50% black population maybe about 300,000+ african americans but then the suburbs have more. PG has almost 600,000 black folks alone regardless of Montgo . That situation is what makes DC different than most cities then say like Detroit where all the black folks are confined to the city.
Actually, the NYT reported in 2012 that DC had finally lost its black majority. DC is officially a majority-minority city which I am very happy about. Although the NYT's statement was just a projection because we wont really know until the next census.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Actually, the NYT reported in 2012 that DC had finally lost its black majority. DC is officially a majority-minority city which I am very happy about. Although the NYT's statement was just a projection because we wont really know until the next census.
I thought 2012 was the last year DC was majority black. Like 50.7% I believe. But yeah, it's 2014 now. So the black population should probably be in the high 40 percentages by now.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:16 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,487,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This. Some people can't get it out of their minds that cities can be urban and highly dense without skyscrapers. By the logic of some on this forum, I guess that means Charlotte, Detroit, Atlanta, etc. are more of an urban city than DC
Preach!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 PM

This DC and Baltimore comparison never ends pleasantly. There are die hard Baltimore and die hard DC people that will never like the other city and never say anything positive about the other city. These cities are so different only close in location, share an airport and that's about IT!!!! Different vibes, different jobs, different scene all together, different football leagues, different music. This is a sore subject on these DC/Balt forums and never ends well.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM

I grew up in DC, my family is still here. There are families that live, work, go to school and attend church here. The gentrification of DC exists along side a long established black community. I grew up with black doctors, dentists, teachers, politicians and an understanding that DC is the nation's capital and NOT a state, so voting and paying taxes was always conflicting. But, folks from Baltimore know this because they probably have family in DC and have been visiting back and forth for years. THis notion that DC is only new white folks, monuments, height restrictions, new restaurants is laughable. But this new DC I guess is more interesting to folks on these forums. I don't care how gentrified DC becomes, it's still home and please stop comparing with Baltimore. It never ends well.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:41 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
I grew up in DC, my family is still here. There are families that live, work, go to school and attend church here. The gentrification of DC exists along side a long established black community. I grew up with black doctors, dentists, teachers, politicians and an understanding that DC is the nation's capital and NOT a state, so voting and paying taxes was always conflicting. But, folks from Baltimore know this because they probably have family in DC and have been visiting back and forth for years. THis notion that DC is only new white folks, monuments, height restrictions, new restaurants is laughable. But this new DC I guess is more interesting to folks on these forums. I don't care how gentrified DC becomes, it's still home and please stop comparing with Baltimore. It never ends well.
Exactly.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:52 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
This is a great post! I think the reason people are talking about new white people, monuments, height restrictions, etc is because it's different from what DC was, and people like to talk about change. I liked your part about "an understanding that DC is the nation's capital and not a state" this is exactly what newcomers need to learn. In a perfect world DC would have voting representation. However the founding fathers had some pretty solid reasoning for why DC shouldn't be a state and it seems like it never will be. I think DC government should stop pushing for the impossible like statehood, and push for something that could be accomplished more easily, such as getting rid of some federal taxes in DC to make up for the lack of voting power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore