Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:57 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times

Advertisements

Having visited Baltimore so many times throughout my life I feel that it is one of the most underrated cities in the entire United States. Baltimore has great architecture, amazing cuisine, good mass transit compared to most US cities, unique accents, great urban infrastructure, great attractions, great sports culture, 4 distinct seasons, great historic culture, and is one of the realest cities in country. I know this city isn't perfect but I do feel that locals need to take more pride in their city. I feel that Baltimore is sort of like the hot girl at a night club that keeps telling herself that she is ugly. Does anyone else think Baltimore is one of the most underrated cities in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 12:09 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,455,751 times
Well let me be the first to say thanks for the props for our town! Baltimore is a unique city and I am proud to call it home. Change seems slow here, but I feel Baltimore is on the way up.

A key part of this is that it is an affordable place to live and work in the NE corridor with lots to do and close to other cities. I think (and it has been discussed prior on these boards) that if Baltimore can take a page from San Francisco and Boston of ~25 years ago and cut property taxes significantly, it will spur further reinvestment.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:30 PM

759 posts, read 1,356,168 times
Think you'll find many Baltimoreans have very mixed feelings about our city.
Under rated? Well....
Great Urban Infrastructure? Uh, no... The city is literally crumbling around and under us- Many/most bridges/streets are in constant terrible disrepair, and are only shorn up with patch jobs when absolutely necessary. Sink holes appear and cause vehicles and buildings to disappear. Tens of thousands of vacant buildings and houses in various states of decay and decrepitude. Fire stations keep closing. City services keep declining-I will give Baltimore good marks for healthcare, tho', if you're gonna get sick, this is a better place than most.
Local mass transit is poorly planned and even more poorly implemented.
Some amazing architecture? No doubt about that, some of it is very eye-catching, even after many years of repeated viewing.
Great Attractions? Some typical touristy stuff around the Harbor, many interesting museums, the shame that Pimlico has become, several formerly working class intown neighborhoods with lively bar scenes, restaurant scene improving-but pales by comparison to DC or Philly, an art scene that seems kinda forced sometimes, beautiful intown parks that all have an element of danger, very respectable public golf courses, a hardy local music scene-but you gotta know somebody, easy access to sleaze, sex and drugs...
Unique accents? After awhile you get used to it, but coming from somewhere else makes it seem like a foreign language is being spoken by the natives of this region. Either I've gotten too acclimated to it, or some of the thickest Baltimore accents seem like they've disappeared or have gone undercover.
Great Sports? This is one of the greatest sports towns in the U.S.-when the Ravens arrived I swear the town viewed it as akin to the second coming of Christ. And it's great to see a re-birth of interest in the long-suffering Oreos. Folks truly live and die by their Birds. R's and O's.
Seasons? Unpredictable, but guaranteed at least two-miserably hot, and miserably cold.
History? Yeah, it happened here first-for better or worse.
Real? Oh, we're real. Very few pretensions. Sometimes way, way too real.
Hot Girl? I don't know...I've always thought of Baltimore as more of the homely sister. She may be ugly, but She's my sister.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:23 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,771 times
Yes, agree! I've lived all over the U.S. and really, there is so much good going on in Baltimore. Perfect? Nope but its in a great location, nice weather (yes, I said that!), and tons to do. As far as biggish cities go, I'm a fan.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,734 times
Baltimore is certainly underrated compared with its absolutely terrible reputation (partially served up in steaming piles of DC snarkiness.) The city certainly benefits from rock bottom visitor expectations - expectations that are almost impossible not to beat. Still, even as someone devoted to my city, I wonder if it is ready for prime time.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
i buy that. however a bit concerned about the conviction rate for crime being 3% and its 63% in all surrounding areas. the word is baltimore is the wrong place for elderly white people to live.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,815 times
I agree! I've grown up in the Baltimore area for most of my life but didn't pay too much attention to it until I moved downtown. I've grown quite an appreciation for my "new" city. Geographically, we're in the best location with easy access to Philly, DC & even NYC. We're the gateway between northern and southern cities which I think will eventually lead to a greater development of Baltimore & it's businesses.

We're a city of neighborhoods distinct in history, culture and architecture. You could get a different vibe from Baltimore each time you visit one of our neighborhoods.

The food scene is also developing in much of the "hip" neighborhoods of Harbor East, Fed Hill, Canton, Little Italy and Fells Point. There is a big farm to table movement occuring as well!

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my move to Charm City! If you look past all the negative press & shows like the Wire then you will truly find that we're a hidden gem for midsize cities.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Still, even as someone devoted to my city, I wonder if it is ready for prime time.
I do not really think so. Baltimore has a lot of potential for [re]development but little happens. A lot of people will point to politics, and I would agree; but perhaps for different reasons. I would hazard to guess that Baltimore is a social experiment in containment. As long as Baltimore stays the way it is the crime, grit and poor will stay in Baltimore. Or perhaps the majority of residents simply don't want to change or are not ready to change?

Baltimore is probably the most awesome city I have been to but it is also the most screwed up. The city is a gold mine for developers and industrialists, but nothing really happens. Baltimore could become the big city that DC can never be (because of certain restrictions on development).

As for the OP: I do think Baltimore is underrated and it has many qualities and amenities that most may never be aware of because its reputation will prevent them from ever really exploring the city if not causing them to avoid it outright. It's a shame because what is good about Baltimore is really good and worthwhile, but unfortunately the city has a tendency to live up to its more negative images on a regular basis.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:26 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
Baltimore an underrated and undervalued city?

No!

Old 10-02-2014, 04:36 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
No!

Thanks for the compliments, but I don't see any value in this pissant of a city Baltimore has become. So, my answer would be No! The only thing of value of Baltimore is that it's close to other cities on the East Coast. "The locals need to take pride in their city??!!" Correction, the locals need to have pride in their personal selves first! Wash you body with soap and water, wear clean clothes, eat better more nutritious foods, stop engaging in savage behavior, The local DO have pride, it's ignorant and foolish pride and misguided loyalties, that has diminished the spirit of this town. All the stuff you mentioned.."great sports culture, 4 distinct seasons, great historic culture" is fine, but, what about the people's intellect and education status?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Having visited Baltimore so many times throughout my life I feel that it is one of the most underrated cities in the entire United States. Baltimore has great architecture, amazing cuisine, good mass transit compared to most US cities, unique accents, great urban infrastructure, great attractions, great sports culture, 4 distinct seasons, great historic culture, and is one of the realest cities in country. I know this city isn't perfect but I do feel that locals need to take more pride in their city. I feel that Baltimore is sort of like the hot girl at a night club that keeps telling herself that she is ugly. Does anyone else think Baltimore is one of the most underrated cities in the country?

Last edited by Infinite_heights77; 10-02-2014 at 05:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore