Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:50 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times

Advertisements

It's mostly in the county... places like Ruxton, etc have some serious old money trust fund action going on.

Within city limits see Guilford, Homeland, Roland Park, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinthrax View Post
See the problem there is HV is the county. Unless you are trying to clump the county in with the city to increase the wealth?
Balt County's wealth all came from Baltimore city - the hard limits of no further annexation allowed that money to escape to the county that the city's wealth and power created. It is something that really makes me mad, the hypocrisy of the county thumbing its nose at a problem it created by removing the city's tax base and then lambasting the city for its decline that they caused. So - want to know where Baltimore's money is? Its in the county.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:13 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Balt County's wealth all came from Baltimore city
So - want to know where Baltimore's money is? Its in the county.
More accurately stated... it's been divided up by successive generations.

Some of that progeny (and their income tax) remain in the City...
but of those who left more went much farther away than just to Baltimore County.

eta: Then there's the substantial amount that has been shifted to philanthropy
and other public works like hospitals, libraries, universities, schools, etc.

Quote:
- the hard limits of no further annexation (+/- 1920's) allowed that money to escape
to the county that the city's wealth and power created.
Actually... that annexation did more to GET wealth inside the City Limits.
eg: areas like Roland Park and Homeland and Guilford.

To expand further out, into the next outer ring of developed areas before getting to the farmland
(Catonsville -> Pikesville -> Towson -> White Marsh) would have required the City to take on far
more public sector costs than the City wanted --or needed-- at that time.

I'm not opposed to revisiting the issue, in fact I've mentioned it several times, but on the whole,
that "hard limit" was a win for the City that only gets viewed differently with the advantage of
hindsight 50 and 100 years after the fact.

Quote:
It is something that really makes me mad, the hypocrisy of the county thumbing its nose
at a problem it created by removing the city's tax base and then lambasting the city for
its decline that they caused.
You completely lost me with this last bit.

Last edited by MrRational; 03-27-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 11:19 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Where is the Black wealth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
It's mostly in the county... places like Ruxton, etc have some serious old money trust fund action going on.

Within city limits see Guilford, Homeland, Roland Park, etc.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:37 AM

850 posts, read 1,131,441 times
Quote:
Balt County's wealth all came from Baltimore city - the hard limits of no further annexation allowed that money to escape to the county that the city's wealth and power created. It is something that really makes me mad, the hypocrisy of the county thumbing its nose at a problem it created by removing the city's tax base and then lambasting the city for its decline that they caused. So - want to know where Baltimore's money is? Its in the county.
What?

County residents have a higher education/income/occupation/wealth??? There higher income allows the purchase of higher priced homes which allow higher property taxes and the purchase of higher priced products.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
PG County and DC. A little bit of Owings Mills. LOL

Old 03-27-2015, 12:12 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Rich white folks in Baltimore really don't build anything?!!! Why is that? Rich whites in New York and San Francisco like to build and fund projects.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:21 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,456,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
More accurately stated... it's been divided up by successive generations.

Some of that progeny (and their income tax) remain in the City...
but of those who left more went much farther away than just to Baltimore County.

eta: Then there's the substantial amount that has been shifted to philanthropy
and other public works like hospitals, libraries, universities, schools, etc.

Actually... that annexation did more to GET wealth inside the City Limits.
eg: areas like Roland Park and Homeland and Guilford.

To expand further out, into the next outer ring of developed areas before getting to the farmland
(Catonsville -> Pikesville -> Towson -> White Marsh) would have required the City to take on far
more public sector costs than the City wanted --or needed-- at that time.

I'm not opposed to revisiting the issue, in fact I've mentioned it several times, but on the whole,
that "hard limit" was a win for the City that only gets viewed differently with the advantage of
hindsight 50 and 100 years after the fact.

You completely lost me with this last bit.
100 Years: Baltimore Seals Its Borders | Baltimore magazine

Old 03-27-2015, 01:55 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,945,062 times
Quote:
100 Years: Baltimore Seals Its Borders | Baltimore magazine
Why bother slogging through all this ancient history? Because it’s not ancient history at all.

When a constantly-expanding and vibrant Baltimore City lost its centuries-old ability
to expand its borders, it ended up stuck with a preponderance of the region’s poor and needy
—and a shortage of the region’s rich and wealthy.
I'll grant that these events occurred close together but I won't go so far as to say lack of
annexing is causal. In fact, that proposition is quite absurd in the face of the OTHER evidence
of what else was occurring here nd everywhere else in the wake of the WW2 booms
and subsequent industrial slowdown into the 60's... let alone the social upheavals then and into the 80's.

Nope. His conclusions and you're pique are quite misplaced.

Quote:
The city’s population reached an all-time high (in the wake of WW2 boom) in 1950
of more than 949,000; soon thereafter, the (inevitable and mostly housing shortage caused)
exodus out to the new suburbs began. That’s a surefire recipe for civic decay.
The civic decay that ensued was not in the number of those in that exodus but their quality
and especially so in proportion to those who did not (or could not) join that exodus.

More pointedly, had something constructive been done to shift total population BACK to the pre war levels that industry of the period could still support, much of the exodus wouldn't have happened.
But this is still just more of that hindsight speculation.

Mr Barante.... you're up.

Last edited by MrRational; 03-27-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 PM

389 posts, read 426,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
In northeast Baltimore near Cedonia. There are new developments in that area that are mostly black. My sister lives in one and she's an RN at Hopkins. It's niceeeee!

My sister mentioned that a white family lived there briefly. Once they had noticed that the development had mostly black residents, they moved.

Everytime that I visit her, I never see any white folks.

My sister lives right next door to an Asian family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore