Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 07:35 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

What a tragedy and hard to comprehend the reverberations of this event…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 07:48 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
The container ship that crashed into a Baltimore bridge on Tuesday "lost propulsion" as it was leaving port, and crew on board notified Maryland officials they had lost control of the vessel, ABC News reported, citing an unclassified U.S. intelligence report.
https://www.france24.com/en/video/20...lision-reports

Quote:
Ship owner involved in at least 3 deadly events in recent years, records show

SINGAPORE — Synergy Marine Group, the owner and manager of the Dali ship, was involved in at least three seafaring events since 2018 that led to the deaths of crew members, according to investigation records from transportation safety agencies and government statements.

In 2018, a technician onboard a vessel managed by Synergy was killed when a personnel elevator malfunctioned, according to authorities in Australia, where the vessel was registered.

Required “safety barriers” were not put in place before the technician began his work, and “aspects of the supervision and communications throughout the task were ineffective,” said an investigation report by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

In 2019, an officer on a Synergy-registered vessel was reported missing. An investigation by authorities in Singapore, where that vessel was registered, found that the officer had probably fallen overboard while working alone on a lifeboat and that it was “probable” that he was not wearing a personal flotation device.

And in 2023, a tanker partly managed by Synergy collided with a dredger off the coast of the Philippines, killing two seafarers: a Filipino national and a Chinese national, according to Philippine Coast Guard officials.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...DPBRTUEEFEZZP4

I've never had a fear of bridges before, but . . . . such a terrible story! No tug boats? Don't they lead boats of the harbor anymore?

Old 03-26-2024, 08:28 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

I've never had a fear of bridges before, but . . . . such a terrible story! No tug boats? Don't they lead boats of the harbor anymore?
Some of them. This one would have had a Maryland based pilot aboard.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:46 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Nuts. Thoughts and prayers to all involved.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:59 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's been reported that this ship was under the control of a local pilot. But that doesn't mean much. The San Francisco Bay Bridge has been struck at least two times in the last 20 years by ships being operated by incompetent local pilots. I actually felt sorry for the shipping companies in those cases. They thought they were hiring competent local pilots, and ended up with billions of dollars in lawsuits.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's been reported that this ship was under the control of a local pilot. But that doesn't mean much. The San Francisco Bay Bridge has been struck at least two times in the last 20 years by ships being operated by incompetent local pilots. I actually felt sorry for the shipping companies in those cases. They thought they were hiring competent local pilots, and ended up with billions of dollars in lawsuits.
Not much anybody can do when the ship is in trouble (losing power) and call out Mayday.

The "Mayday" call did save some life as traffic was stopped prior to the collision. There were still 8 workers on the bridge, though, 6 of them still missing .

Old 03-26-2024, 09:10 AM

446 posts, read 249,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Don't ship's captains have the right to overrule pilots if they see fit or necessary? I remember reading that on the thread on P&OC that was pulled.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:11 AM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
There's some massive distribution centers near the harbor. If Baltimore is shut down that means there's gonna be a ton of delays on shipments for people in the Mid-Atlantic region. It's a big deal for the economy of this region.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:15 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Not much anybody can do when the ship is in trouble (losing power) and call out Mayday.

The "Mayday" call did save some life as traffic was stopped prior to the collision. There were still 8 workers on the bridge, though, 6 of them still missing .
I agree. One thing I thought was interesting is that they were able to stop traffic onto the bridge. Which doesn't really surprise me. I noticed in the video that traffic stopped flowing right before the collapse. But still it will be interesting to hear who and how they did that. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like anybody warned the construction workers to get off the bridge.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:23 AM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Looks like tugboats were with the ship when it was leaving Point Breeze but then left the ship once it was on course towards the bridge.
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...99911973831054

Then the ship lost power and that caused the ship to drift off course and crash into the pillars.

It seems like the Port of Baltimore isn't huge huge for US container shipping (1.6%) so it shouldn't disrupt national supply chains too much but it will be rough for the local economy.
edit: but maybe I'm underestimating the local impacts. Baltimore is 1.6% of shipping volume, but maybe the shipping it does do is more essential? I'm not a logistics expert.

Last edited by memph; 03-26-2024 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore