Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,507 times

Advertisements

Hi...........would like to know as much as possible about Orrington, ME. I've done a little research, and there is a property that I'm interested in along River Road.......it's a lot of house and property for an amazing price. In fact, almost too good to be true compared to what I'm used to in over-priced Centeral Pennsylvania.

Truly considering relocating and get away from the "rat race" now that we are empty nesters. My husband had a business trip a few years ago to Bangor, ME and LOVED it........says I will too.

Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who actually lives there to give first-hand accounts of the town, area, etc.

Thanks in advance for any info/input!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:19 AM

48 posts, read 123,727 times
Orrington is cute. Pretty small-town and laid back. an easy commute to Bangor or Bucksport. Close enough to many beautiful spots for weekend trips or day getaways. There are acouple convenience stores, but you'd have to head to Brewer or Bangor (5-10 min) for your grocery and other shopping.
Feel free to ask me anything else specifically.
A word to the wise, make sure to do your thorough due dilligence on any property that seems like a dreamy price. While I'm sure our property rates are much cheaper than yours, and the house you've found might be perfect, a lot of these homes could have costly things to address, like needing a new well or septic, new foundation, burst pipes, etc., and that stuff is almost never on the on-line realty listing.
Good luck, and welcome!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times
My aunt and uncle lived in Orrington for over 50 years in several different houses on the River Road.. It is pretty country. I would advise you "for sure" see the house in person before buying. The river road is also known as Rt 15 and is the main road from Bangor to Bucksport - heavily traveled. It wouldn't apeal to me unless the house was far back from the road. Some of them along it are very close to the road. Orrington seems to be a growing community and is large geographicly but not a huge population.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:20 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydoo View Post
Hi...........would like to know as much as possible about Orrington, ME. I've done a little research, and there is a property that I'm interested in along River Road.......it's a lot of house and property for an amazing price. In fact, almost too good to be true compared to what I'm used to in over-priced Centeral Pennsylvania.
A lot of Maine is like that

Quote:
... Truly considering relocating and get away from the "rat race" now that we are empty nesters. My husband had a business trip a few years ago to Bangor, ME and LOVED it........says I will too.
I said that to my DW.

And she did.

Welcome

Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,507 times
Thanks for all your responses! Some very good points brought up......seems this River Road (AKA Route 15) runs on and on forever....like maybe the entire state of Maine, haha! I have a feeling the house I am interested is situated right along the roadway of Rt 15 even though it comes with 3.8 acres and 28 more available if wanted. Was wondering why such a nice home isn't selling.....it could very well be what Hennybenny mentioned. It seems like much of the home has been remodeled with updated services (new boiler, etc) but I'll be cautious as suggested because it was built in 1899!
My husband and I really need to make a trip up there since I've never been to New England at all!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:16 PM

40 posts, read 97,521 times
Orrington is nice. Any part of the town is less than a 10 minute drive to Bangor. It's one of the wealthier towns in the area and has some nice houses. That's really all I have to say about it.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 AM

78 posts, read 223,100 times
I've found some homes on-line too. What about PERC and pollution/traffic?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydoo View Post
Thanks for all your responses! Some very good points brought up......seems this River Road (AKA Route 15) runs on and on forever....like maybe the entire state of Maine, haha! I have a feeling the house I am interested is situated right along the roadway of Rt 15 even though it comes with 3.8 acres and 28 more available if wanted. Was wondering why such a nice home isn't selling.....it could very well be what Hennybenny mentioned. It seems like much of the home has been remodeled with updated services (new boiler, etc) but I'll be cautious as suggested because it was built in 1899!
My husband and I really need to make a trip up there since I've never been to New England at all!
I would avoid RT 15 and go inward to the center of town more if I were you. Rt 15 is a well-travelled route by tractor trailers, and it can be quite noisy. Many people become used to it and don't mind it, but I for one, had a heck of a time actually sleeping when I had a sleepover at a friend of mine's house who happen to live on Rt 15. Also consider how close it is to the Perc Plant, because there WILL be trucks rolling in and out of there frequently.

More than likely if it was built in 1899, it is indeed on Rt 15 as most of the older homes were built along the river at that time.

There are a few farm houses, but most of the older homes are on the river route. Some houses on the River Road were built by people with money - farm houses tended to be poorer, and many weren't kept up as well as the ones on the River Road (just my opinion).

The school (like many other towns) has consolidated its K-8 into one centrally-located campus on the Center Drive Road. It's quite a place now - relatively new, and quite nice (just in case you ever decide to join the school board even though you are empty-nesters).

Orrington is a nice community - the people are very active in and around there.

Here's a little history for you to peruse. Welcome to CD.

History - Orrington, Maine* Take note of the name Henry Wiswell at the bottom of the page. The Wiswells are sort of "patriarchs' of the town. He knows a LOT about the history of it (and he's a great guy to boot).

Last edited by cebdark; 08-23-2011 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,722 times
If its the house I'm thinking of, (very close to me) your far enough from the Perc plant so the odor won't be a factor. The traffic.... well between garbage trucks and logging trucks at all hours it can be noisy. I get used to it I guess. There are a lot of houses for sale everywhere.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM

63 posts, read 137,125 times
We recently relocated and thought some homes would be perfect along 15 in Orrington. They weren't; especially if you have children. The road is horribly busy all the way down as far as Winterport(that was as far as we looked). Also, the majority of the homes on the river side sit on ledges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area