Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 9,346 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I spent a week in Maine this summer visiting Acadia and the Bangor area.

I liked the area so much I decided I will live there someday!

I'd like to start looking into forest land within 2 hours of Bangor that would qualify for Maine's Tree Growth Tax Law.

Any pointers on:

1. Current prices of such land
2. Price trends
3. Specific areas to look in
4. Websites that can be trusted
5. Things to look out for

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:35 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Do you have a direction from Bangor you want to look or is anything within two hours of Bangor open to consideration?

Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM

south or east would be preferred but I am open to most anything

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited by frank0618; 09-14-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Your list includes most of eastern and central Maine. Maybe you could narrow it down some.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:13 PM

Hi Austin,

I corrected my last post. Should have read south or east (nor west).

Less than an hour from Acadia National Park and Bangor, and less than 3 hours from the Appalachian trail would be ideal, if that helps.

Thanks
Frank

Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0618 View Post
Hi all,
I spent a week in Maine this summer visiting Acadia and the Bangor area.
I liked the area so much I decided I will live there someday!
That is Great!

Welcome!

Quote:
I'd like to start looking into forest land within 2 hours of Bangor that would qualify for Maine's Tree Growth Tax Law.
A 2-hour radius drawn from Bangor, is a really big area.

We are about 20-minutes from Bangor, 150 acres of treegrowth land in an Unorganized Township [UT].

It is very nice here in Maine. We really like it

Quote:
... Any pointers on:
1. Current prices of such land
2. Price trends
3. Specific areas to look in
4. Websites that can be trusted
5. Things to look out for ...
Keep in mind that for land to be in Treegrowth it must be 10-acres or more.

#1 and #2:
We bought two parcels in 2005, one is river-frontage and the other is not. The river-frontage land cost us $900/acre. The other one cost us $300/acre.

Both properties have adjacent land that is currently for sale.

The river-frontage adjacent land is being handled by a realtor and the last time I checked they are asking $2,500/acre.

The other property's adjacent land is FSBO and he is asking $300/acre.

#3:
Cheaper land tends to be in Unorganized Townships [UTs]. The Maine UTs form 52% of Maine, so really most of Maine is lower cost property. Off hand I would recommend looking in any / all of the UTs.

#4:
There are a few good websites. However keep in mind that what you see on the websites are properties listed by realtors. Not all realtors list on the MLS. But from among those realtors who do list on the MLS, some will also operate websites.

Sellers using a realtor get far greater exposure, possibly faster selling, and commonly a higher price. So there is some benefit to using a realtor.

If you spend time driving around the UTs, you will see signs nailed to trees with phone numbers. You can call any of those phone numbers and ask to see their list of properties. Which is what I did. The guy is a forester who buys tracts of land from logging companies. He makes his profit mostly from clear cutting the trees and then each property goes onto his list. When I saw him last his property list was four pages long.

Another thing I did was whenever I stopped in these small diners for a meal, I asked the locals about property for sale. They were always helpful, and often knew locals who were selling property.

One thing I have seen in the non-tourist areas, is that common folks are always helpful.

Good luck and have fun

Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the great post Forest Beekeeper! Much appreciated.

Frank

Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM

9 posts, read 18,166 times
[quote=forest beekeeper;15893356]That is Great!

Welcome!

A 2-hour radius drawn from Bangor, is a really big area.

We are about 20-minutes from Bangor, 150 acres of treegrowth land in an Unorganized Township [UT].

It is very nice here in Maine. We really like it

OHHHH, you're in Maine. Darn it. I sent you amessage on another blog we both belong to asking about the adjacent land for sale but I can't take Maine winters. Used to live in NH, moved to Florida (for family reasons, not weather), and now I can't take the cold anymore. Too painful on the joints and lungs.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
There are a few good websites. However keep in mind that what you see on the websites are properties listed by realtors. Not all realtors list on the MLS. But from among those realtors who do list on the MLS, some will also operate websites.

Sellers using a realtor get far greater exposure, possibly faster selling, and commonly a higher price. So there is some benefit to using a realtor.
Not all licensed real estate agents are REALTORS. Agents become REALTORS and pay annual dues in part so that they have access to the MLS, for listing new properties for sale, researching current properties for sale and those under contract, reviewing properties previously listed that sold, as well as those previously listed that did not sell.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Not all licensed real estate agents are REALTORS. Agents become REALTORS and pay annual dues in part so that they have access to the MLS, for listing new properties for sale, researching current properties for sale and those under contract, reviewing properties previously listed that sold, as well as those previously listed that did not sell.
So your saying that among the all licensed real estate agents the ones we want to avoid are those who call themselves realtors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area