Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 09:39 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,943 times

Advertisements

especially hte older ones, I wonder? Those are like big metal boxes. They DO seem very sturdy come to think of it. hmmmmm. And, I took this opinion from a very trusted mechanic. On the other hand, maybe he would have said that if I had a mercedes it was the safest car on the road. LOL.
Actually, I should have better qualified that as: ONE of the safest cars on the road. Airline pilots like saabs and audis. I've never found one of those for sale while I look so have no personal knowledge. They're very nice. Friends drive them but .... I like used cars. New cars get on my nerves. Especially that whole cost:value ratio.
THanks, forest. It's why you're trustworthy. you always say your mind plainly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Actually I think that studies have shown that Mercedes are safer and have been safer for more decades than any other car.

I worked LEO in Europe for three years and I have witnessed a lot of traffic accidents. Most European cars crumple real quick. I have seen Opals and fords crumple like a soda can, with us trying to cut the passengers out of the car, while the Mercedes they hit only 'suffered' the dust and wax transferring off, everyone inside Mercedes always walked out of the cars unassisted and unharmed. And the Mercedes always drove away from the accident scene, unless it had flipped [but even then they just needed the wrecker to pull them out of the ditch and flip them right again, then the Mercedes could drive away safely].

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
My wife drives a Saab, we really like it.

They have a really good understanding of cold weather driving.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:29 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I find it difficult to imagine a Volvo with a handgun on the dashboard, or a shotgun rack in the rear window. [quote, Forest Beekeeper]

This image seems a bit like something one might have seen in a Far Side cartoon.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:39 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I find it difficult to imagine a Volvo with a handgun on the dashboard, or a shotgun rack in the rear window. [quote, Forest Beekeeper]

This image seems a bit like something one might have seen in a Far Side cartoon.
Bill the cat and Opus the penguin, firing 9mm's out the windows!

ACK!

Old 10-21-2007, 08:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Bill the cat and Opus the penguin, firing 9mm's out the windows!

ACK!
I Love Far Side!!! Great image there, dmyankee

Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,749,873 times
Default And Now.....

Back to the political climate of Orono.....

Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Default little flags

I saw the house with the little flags all over the lawn (red and white) on my way in to town and noticed the sign explaining them on my way out.

I didn't stop, there was a car on my bumper, though I had wanted to get a shot, and find out if there was a difference in meaning between the two colors of flags.

Anyone know?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Coaster- I agree, well said.

Wide-eyed kids sit in awe of their 'learned' professors like sponges.

Maine has smaller colleges too, and two year colleges where you may find more 'working-class' students and thus more conservatives.

Orono draws kids who want to go through the four year experience and become professionals. Those kids are upwardly focused perhaps coming from the slightly more affluent families in New England.

I am a vendor at the farmer's market in Orono. We use the university's Steam Plant Parking Lot. So I do see a few students, grad students, professors and hangers-on.

There is also a large selection of foreign students and professors. They come through the market to make a connection with the locals. And some of the vendors make a very big deal of rubbing shoulders with professor so-and-so "he is from Germany you know".

I see a lot of students who do not come from this area at all. They find it quaint that local wild berries and fiddleheads are sold at the market. Such local foods are new to many of them and possibly beneath them. There are specific weekends when many of the student's parents are in town, and without much else going on, the kids take their families to stroll through the open air Farmer's Market. That is when we see a lot of very expensive vehicles, and people asking questions like: "now your eggs, do they really come from chickens? Do you folks have chickens on your farm? Do you have to touch them?".

I would say that Orono does seem to be very liberal.

A few times I have gotten into very interesting discussion with some of the folks in Orono. Since I am retired military, I have traveled a bit, I have lived in other nations; I tend to have a slightly different world-view then some of those highly impressionable kids.

Is the area largley rural? I'd like a little bit of land. I'm checking out places for relocation.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
There is rural land within 10 miles of Bangor, but the further out you go the better the price.

Orono is very liberal and the students are politically active. They register to vote in Orono or surrounding towns and vote back home by absentee ballot. Nobody seems to care. Other liberal schools in Maine do the same.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:25 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,243,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There is rural land within 10 miles of Bangor, but the further out you go the better the price.

Orono is very liberal and the students are politically active. They register to vote in Orono or surrounding towns and vote back home by absentee ballot. Nobody seems to care. Other liberal schools in Maine do the same.

Did you notice that the legislature seemed to forget about the idea of absentee voting when that last bill came up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area