Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:16 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,043 times

Advertisements

Bella, you are fortunate if you sold your home here in northern Virginia at the height of the real estate wave. That was very smart!

We rent a home in the Fairfax/West Springfield area. We will move up to Maine in 2 years and 2 months. Every month that passes brings us closer to Maine.

This region is experiencing a shock. The magic money tree (during the time of skyrocketing real estate prices) is dead here in Fairfax County. People did not plan and save for the harder times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 05:48 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella14 View Post
BacktoNE touched on allergies....I have Psoriasis...not bad but it does get worse in the winter....anyone have any input on this?
The air is very dry here in the winter. I don't have psoriasis but my legs and hands get wicked dry in the winter and itch enough to keep me awake at night aned can drive me nuts in the daytime. I use Gold Bond on the dry parts and it works really well. Not sure how it would work for psoriasis but it keeps me realitively sane.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:45 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
The air is very dry here in the winter. I don't have psoriasis but my legs and hands get wicked dry in the winter and itch enough to keep me awake at night aned can drive me nuts in the daytime. I use Gold Bond on the dry parts and it works really well. Not sure how it would work for psoriasis but it keeps me realitively sane.

Investing in a quality humidifier is also a good idea - especially if you heat with wood.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,166,537 times
Quote:
does anyone there have inground pools?

Many do have inground pools, but be forewarned that they are a lot of work for a short season. I grew up with a steel inground pool that my father built from the steel left over from the boats he built. I lived in it and loved it, but it was a lot of work (yet worth it on a hot summer day) .

I now have an above ground pool because my lawn is 2 inches of topsoil and 5 feet of ledge so an inground pool would require the services of a certified blaster.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
Default could you visit before you buy?

Hopefully if your transfer comes through to Maine - you could rent for a while until you decide which community would be best for you.

It was below 32 degrees here this morning but is now up to 60 with sun and no wind - so it actually seems warmer. Daffodils are out all over now and grass is greening up. May is my favorite month, when trees leaf out and everything is 100 shades of green. Suggestions as to places on the outskirts of Bangor, within your 20 mile requirement would be Hamden, Glenburn, Veazie, Orono, and Newburg which is more like country.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 AM

64 posts, read 141,532 times
Thanks Retoredtinbender, Reloop and Newdaawn.........
Still no news.....it's killing me!!!!
I would get a whole house humidifier....we only have the portable ones right now......and a steam shower! Love that thing!!! It makes a great difference with asthma, allergies and psoriasis.
That sounds like some great weather! It was 40 this morning.....already 70...sunny. We had a very rainy and windy weekend......75 mph winds! That's OK for you!
Can anyone tell me about the fly season? Someone told my husbnad at hir reserve unit that Maine was swamp like in the spring and flies were out of control.......
Thanks

Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,392 times
I was hoping someone else with more knowledge would jump it and answer....but here's my two cents....

I don't pay close attention to things I can't control. I can't control black fly, I can't control mosqutios (I'm sure I didn't spell it correctly, but you know what I'm talking about) so I just learn to live around them. We do spray standing water with veg. oil to slow down the mosqutios, but that's all it does.

Things are also very different at different places here. I live in the woods, by the river, with some bog on my land. Our neighbor (kiddinaroundfarm - a mile or 2 up the road) her house is closer to the road, has lawn (a good size lawn) before she gets to her woods. We have different bug issues. So I think a lot will depend on what's around you when you when you settle.

When the season is bad - note season, it passes, and it really isn't that long of a season - I have a pull over net shirt I put on when I go out. This keeps them off my face and arms, and I wear pants and sneakers. Most of the time I'm in pants and sneakers anyway because I'm in the woods (again, back to where you live) and it not a good idea to be in the woods without your legs and feet covered.

Many people find a bug repellant (bet I didn't spell that right either) that works for them. I don't like them, I'm fair skinned and they bother my skin.

The other thing I found was when I did get bit, was the hand sanitizer works well in soothing the bite.

As far as our four legged friends go...we had one bad year with fleas (it was a dry year, and everyone was having issues) other than that it was just the normal stuff...they don't seem to have any problems with the black flys.

PS Tell hubby to find someone at the base to talk to who likes Maine, and can give a more balanced impression of us.

Last edited by RHB; 04-21-2009 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Adding PS

Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 AM

264 posts, read 758,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
PS Tell hubby to find someone at the base to talk to who likes Maine, and can give a more balanced impression of us.
SO TRUE...
...And someone who actually has been to the state in EACH season! LOL

... All friends and family know my husband and I bought a house in Maine and plan to move to it within this next year, and while they fully support us, we don't stop getting comments like:
--- Ohhh, but its always SOOO cold up there...
---Well, we'll visit during just summer because the rest of the year is way to cold up there
--- Can you even go swimming up there or is it always to cold

Its hysterical because most these people have never been there, they act like its on the south pole or something. Once they visit I'm sure they'll see just how wonderful it is in each season!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 AM

146 posts, read 453,592 times
That does crack me up - there are a LOT of places a whole lot colder than Maine where millions of people live quite comfortably...

Old 04-21-2009, 11:27 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,538,229 times
Quote:
Sk8lady, thanks for your info! We've decided to continue life as we know it and not wait.....so, we're planting our garden today (funny you talked about gardening). We grow seeds in January.....weather has been a bit different here also.....it snowed last Sunday and Monday it was 75!
I start planting in the ground outside in April. My first round of peas are in the ground. Spinach, beets, lettuces and more will follow Saturday. With row cover and the right plants you can garden well into October easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area