Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:44 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,102,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hmm...I guess you didn't happen to catch Ms. Carey on the Home Shopping Network last weekend. She has gained at least 40 pounds and looks very much like a Macy's Thanksgiving Parade "Mariah Carey" balloon.

I never cared for the woman, so I was glad to see her reduced to these circumstances. The implications of her appearance are either: A) She has so badly squandered the fortune she made as a performer that she has been compelled to hustle crap on the shopping channel to make ends meet, or B) Her need to be in the public eye is great, the demand for the same no longer exists, and though she doesn't need the money, she is deperate enough that she would take this gig just to be on tv.
you dream killer you

and apparently I was praising Cashman too soon, last night on ESPN radio I hear the Yanks are going to raise there 3/45 deal.

Big surprise, I expect 3/60 or 4/80
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:17 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
you dream killer you
Killer? I merely reported the crime. Ms. Carey has burst the bubble.

You need not take my word for it, here she is employing the little known "Sell While You Sprawl" technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKXp1tNWjBU

Old 12-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Default Suspense Ended?

Source: New York Yankees, Derek Jeter agree on contract - ESPN New York

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter agreed to a new contract with the New York Yankees on Saturday afternoon, a source with knowledge of the negotiations said.

Earlier Saturday, two sources said the Yankees and their captain were hoping to finish a contract that would pay Jeter approximately $17 million a year for three seasons with an optional fourth year at a lower salary, although those terms were among the details still to be worked out.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM

In the recently published 2011 Hardball Times Baseball Annual, Tom Tango has an article called "Three Things I Wanted To Research." (pp.159-163)

The third of the three was the question: "Does A Bad Season At An Old Age Mean More Than At A Young Age?"...a project inspired by the Jeter situation.

He collected and studied players who had experienced a bad year following three good ones, using WAR standards (4.5 to 4.8 WAR for good, 1.1 to 1.2 for bad) to define good and bad. He discovered that there is validity for having greater concern when it happens to an older player.

In the fifth season, immediately following the bad 4th year, players under the age of 30 averaged 2.4 wins, players between 30 and 35 averaged 2.6 wins, and the 35 and older crowd averaged 1.3 wins.

Tango also looked at the outcomes following four consecutive good seasons, and the fifth season outcomes showed that the 35 and over group was still the most likely to to decline among them.

Tango sums things up with "...its not a matter of the most recent/bad season having more impact because the player is old. Its simply the age of the player which is the ominous sign."

Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Kudos to the Yankees for pretty much holding the line as I never thought Jeter was worth A-Rod $$$ and contract length. With this new contract he's already more than 50% overpaid IMO.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:18 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Kudos to the Yankees for pretty much holding the line as I never thought Jeter was worth A-Rod $$$ and contract length. With this new contract he's already more than 50% overpaid IMO.
Based on all the factors including being a productive Yankee for his whole career, his price was better than I thought they'd settle for.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Based on all the factors including being a productive Yankee for his whole career, his price was better than I thought they'd settle for.
It was either take the Yankee generous offer or play for another team for "maybe" approx. $7 million per.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:24 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
It was either take the Yankee generous offer or play for another team for "maybe" approx. $7 million per.
I know he wasn't going to get the same contract from another team but if people (GM's) really thought they stood a chance of getting him, they would have bid. It also would have been for alot more than $7 million per, but not $17 mill.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Lance, you know as well as I do that if there was one thing the Yankee front office didn't want, it was a bidding war. There must have been a lot more going on behind closed doors than will ever be reported.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
there would of been no bidding war

serviceable short stops go for $2.5-$3.5 per year ..... the top tier are in the $11M per year range

Jeter has always been above that bell curve and Tulo has now joined that rarified air

At most teams would of been paying $13M a year and IMO that would of been a perfect storm type scenario

Personally I wouldn't give the guy more than $9M a year if I were in charge of any club other than the yankees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball