Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 05:31 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times

Advertisements

Maybe start a little fun here & something to look back on & create a little more traffic in this forum.

Post your projected playoff teams & brackets all the way to WS champion.

We are close enough to the season end where shouldn't be to many surprises so might actually be interesting to see if anybody can really come close to all the predictions.

Make sure you don't edit!

NL
Braves-seed 1
Dodgers-seed 2
Brewers-seed 3
WC 1-Phillies
WC 2-Giants
WC 3-Marlins

Brewers over Marlins
Phillies over Giants

Phillies over Braves
Dodgers over Brewers

Phillies over Dodgers

AL
Rays-Seed 1
Astros-Seed 2
Twins-Seed 3
WC 1-Orioles
WC 2-Rangers
WC 3-Mariners

Mariners over Twins
Rangers over Orioles

Mariners over Rays
Astros over Rangers

Astros over Rangers

Phillies over Astros

As much as it pains me to see the Astros in there again. I do think JV will be a difference maker & the experience is there. Fortunately the Phillies starting rotation has a big series & is the difference maker in the WS plus Harper going wild.

I think the Orioles lost 1st in the last week of the season.
Twins never can see to make it past the first round.
Phillies get past the Dodgers in 5 games because Dodgers SP just cant go deep enough. Miller isn't allowed to exceed a certain pitch count despite doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 10:09 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
As much as I would like to see the Mariners finally make it to the World Services, they tend to get our hopes up and then blow it in the end. The best example was 2001, when they won 116 games and lost to the Yankees in the ALCS. Then last year, they got the wild card and beat the BlueJays, but then lost to the Astros. For me, it's more important to note that the Yankees are in last place, and have lost 9 in a row.

Old 08-23-2023, 10:17 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
I doubt the Phillies can pull of the magic they did last year again. They'll make the playoffs.. I figure they make it past the first round.. But.. Beating the Braves, assuming that's who they match against.. That's going to be a tough ask.

Nola hasn't been good Nola/bad Nola this year.. He's just been.. Average.

They're talking Hoskins could return for the playoffs.. And.. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Hoskins is also a streaky player and.. to return for the playoffs. Could be very good.. Could be very bad.

Never count them out.. But, the Braves are just so good. Yes, there's not much difference between this year and last year so far as the Braves, and the Phillies beat them last year, but..

I don't think Milwaukee holds the Central. I think the Cubs overtake and win it. I think we can officially say the Padres are done. I don't see Miami getting in. I'd guess here, the only real change I'd make for the NL side is putting the Cubs in as the third seed and Milwaukee as a wildcard. Whether #2 or #3.. Too early to say. Don't count out the Reds, but.. I think that's something of a long shot.

On the AL side.. You think Toronto misses out and that Baltimore loses the East to Tampa? I still like Tampa, Toronto and Houston as the Wildcards. With Texas, Minnesota and Baltimore taking the divisions. Though.. Yeah.. Seattle certainly is playing pretty good at the moment, so.. We'll see how that holds up.

We've still got.. About 6 weeks of ball to play. You're looking at 7 teams for 6 spots in the AL (I'll call that Boston at 5 games back is 'eliminated' at this point) and 8 teams in the NL.

It would not surprise me a whole lot for there to be a tie for the final WC in the NL.

I put out there... Who is the most surprising team to you this year? Good or bad?

I'lll stay away from the low hanging fruit and throw out an unusual answer.. Well.. Two of them.

First.. Miami. I didn't expect them to be in competition for the playoffs. I thought the best hope was right around .500, which, honestly is pretty close to where they are, but.. Second.. Washington. I mean, yeah, they're 10 games below 500, but.. I expected them to be around the third worst record in all of baseball. If that Strasburg contract ever ends.. Unfortunately.. That won't really end until 2030.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:51 AM

Good stuff. Enjoyed reading.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:52 AM

The main reason I feel Rays might come get the Orioles is just because the Orioles are in uncharted territory & just kind of thinking they'll run out of gas by the end. I could be wrong. Hope I am actually just didn't want to make to many things the same as they currently stand.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
The main reason I feel Rays might come get the Orioles is just because the Orioles are in uncharted territory & just kind of thinking they'll run out of gas by the end. I could be wrong. Hope I am actually just didn't want to make to many things the same as they currently stand.

O's, I don't disagree.. They really haven't found themselves in this position for a very long time. But, they have been steady. The Rays have been the streaky team.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:00 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
I like Baltimore's chances
The closer can't ever be beat.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:56 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I like Baltimore's chances
The closer can't ever be beat.
This is one year that I haven't had to say: "Wait 'til next year."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-23-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This is one year that I haven't had to say: "Wait 'til next year."

Some of those years.. I don't think there was even really any hope for next year.

I'm truly happy for the O's faithful. They've had a rough run. I still don't trust that your ownership will continue to build.. But.. You all deserve some joy after a long period of suffering.

Is there any word on the succession plan for when Angelos finally kicks the bucket? I mean.. Let's be honest here.. Whoda thunk that Angelos would outlast Dan Snyder?

Old 08-27-2023, 12:56 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
They are 8 games back but they have the same record as the Padres and a better record than the Mets. Should give Davey Martinez some votes for NL manager of the year, he just has the "scrappy" Nats as he puts it, in contention to win series. They have this good second half record despite a negative run differential, so it's probably not going to last, but if the Padres are still in the race, than the Nats by default have to be in the race too. It's been a fun team to watch the last month.

AL #1: Houston
AL #2: Tampa
AL #3: Minnesota
AL #4: Seattle
AL #5: Texas
AL #6: Baltimore.
I think both Seattle and Houston both end up passing Texas with the Astros winning the division and #1 seed. I also think the Rays end up catching the Orioles; the Rays have been here before while this is new to this core Orioles group but they've built up a bit of a cushion to get in. Boston is too inconsistent, and the Blue Jays just cannot score runs with runners on base, and everyone else is a non factor at best 10.5 out (yes, even the Yankees).

Seattle beats Texas; Baltimore beats Minnesota; Baltimore beats Tampa; Houston beats Seattle again. Houston once again the AL Champs as they beat Baltimore in 5 games.

NL #1: Braves
NL #2: Dodgers
NL #3: Brewers
NL #4: Phillies
NL #5: Cubs
NL #6: Giants
Braves and the Dodgers are the clear top 2 seeds. I still think the Dodgers can catch the Braves but it will be difficult, and the Brewers should win the Central pretty easily. I also want to point out that I'm fairly confident the Phillies are making the playoffs they are heating up at the right time, and I'll stick my nose out for the Cubs for them to get in. Now we are left with 4 teams (well if we go by the media 5) for 1 spot: The Reds, D'backs, Marlins & Giants and the Padres since the media doesn't want to write them off yet. The Padres are like the MLB version of the Boston Celtics (for those of you that watch the NBA); when they are on, nobody is beating them, but that is few and far between. The Padres are at the point in the calendar where the Celtics were in the Eastern Conference finals after getting blown out in game 3 in Miami to go down 3-0 in the series. They then turned it on for the next 3 games to force a decisive game 7 before they went back to being a pumpkin. Maybe the Padres turn it around the final 30 games to save face of an embarassing season, but this is a team that has only won 3 straight games 3 times since the beginning of June, so they are going to have to go on a run of like 12 wins in 15 games, and from what I've seen of them this year that's not happening. The Reds, Marlins & Giants have had bad second halves after exciting first halves while the D'backs were struggling before they got the perfect remedy of the Padres to cure what ails them. I'll take the Giants for the 6 spot.

Brewers beat the Giants and the Phillies beat the Cubs. Brewers beat the Dodgers because the SP for the Brewers is superior and will win them the series, and the Braves beat the Phillies this year. Braves beat the Brewers in the NLCS, just way more well rounded.
In the World Series it's a repeat of 2021; same winner in the same number of games: Braves in 6 over the Astros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball