Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 06:43 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times

Advertisements

Phillies won big tonight, 10-2, Harper hit two HRs and stared down the Braves player that criticized him for his base running blunder the other night. If not for that blunder, this series probably would be over, a sweep for the Phillies.

Dodgers game starts in about a half hour here in Phoenix, they might get swept tonight.

Houston won their game, season is over for the Twins. The ALCS will be between two Texas teams, one of which will represent the AL in the World Series.

Edit, 7:07 PM PDT: Just saw something I've never seen. Bottom of the 3rd the Diamondbacks hit FOUR solo HRs. Moreno hit one down the right field line, near the foul pole, the ump down the line said HR, Moreno circles the bases and goes into the dugout. But a review showed it was foul by maybe 2 feet. So Moreno comes back out of the dugout, resumes his 2-2 count, and on very next pitch hits a HR to left field -- no doubt about this one. Dodger starting pitcher Lynn was pulled at this point.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-11-2023 at 08:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 08:48 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
2023 - NLDS - Diamondbacks vs. Dodgers - Game 3 - Bottom of the 3rd.....

Is this the only time in any post season game where a team has hit four solo home runs in one inning ?

If not, is the the only time in any post season game that a team has hit four solo home runs in one inning off of the same pitcher ?

Old 10-11-2023, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Phillies won big tonight, 10-2, Harper hit two HRs and stared down the Braves player that criticized him for his base running blunder the other night. If not for that blunder, this series probably would be over, a sweep for the Phillies.

Dodgers game starts in about a half hour here in Phoenix, they might get swept tonight.

Houston won their game, season is over for the Twins. The ALCS will be between two Texas teams, one of which will represent the AL in the World Series.

Edit, 7:07 PM PDT: Just saw something I've never seen. Bottom of the 3rd the Diamondbacks hit FOUR solo HRs. Moreno hit one down the right field line, near the foul pole, the ump down the line said HR, Moreno circles the bases and goes into the dugout. But a review showed it was foul by maybe 2 feet. So Moreno comes back out of the dugout, resumes his 2-2 count, and on very next pitch hits a HR to left field -- no doubt about this one. Dodger starting pitcher Lynn was pulled at this point.

I read your post soon after you posted it, and didn't notice your later edit until after my last post.

Do you know if it has ever happened before (4 solo in one inning, and if so was that like this re the same pitcher) ?

I didn't see it.....I was too caught up in watching the Astros and their celebration, commentary, etc.

Old 10-11-2023, 09:07 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I read your post soon after you posted it, and didn't notice your later edit until after my last post.

Do you know if it has ever happened before (4 solo in one inning, and if so was that like this re the same pitcher) ?

I didn't see it.....I was too caught up in watching the Astros and their celebration, commentary, etc.

Phils 6 HRs in a game is a postseason record.. Rather.. Ties a postseason record (Cubs - 2015)

Did anyone notice?.. Castellanos did it again.. It's kinda cheap.. But, in the spirit of "Castellanos ruins everything".. They had JUST aired the update on Charlie Manuel and BANG! Castellanos hits one out of the park.

Old 10-11-2023, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Phils 6 HRs in a game is a postseason record.. Rather.. Ties a postseason record (Cubs - 2015)

Did anyone notice?.. Castellanos did it again.. It's kinda cheap.. But, in the spirit of "Castellanos ruins everything".. They had JUST aired the update on Charlie Manuel and BANG! Castellanos hits one out of the park.

^^^^^.

I meant specifically 4 solo HRs in one inning (let alone with the same pitcher).

I came back from a quick errand to Walmart before they closed and Lauren on TBS was interviewing the D-Backs manager and said 'it' had never happened before as part of her question. I'm assuming she meant the less specific 'never 4 solo HRs, in the same inning', rather than 'never 4 solo HRs given up by the same pitcher in the same inning' (the managers answer didn't give any additional insight on that).

Old 10-11-2023, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

Yes, this is the first time 4 HRs in one inning has occurred in a playoff game. Some amazing stuff this year. I'll give my two cents tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:39 AM

204 posts, read 148,233 times
How about those Dbacks? I am so happy right now, and to do it against the Dodgers, who have absolutely owned them for years, is just fantastic. I really hope that they can keep this team together because they have some amazing young talent with veteran leadership sprinkled in. Please don't go the way of past seasons and sell off the talent to the highest bidders, keep this team together!

Old 10-12-2023, 11:51 AM

FWIW.. 2 out of 3, and.. at least at present, it's leaning towards 3 out of 4 of teams with a bye being eliminated.

With 2 of them being swept.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:22 PM

As promised, here's my two cents on what we've seen happen in these playoffs.

I call it The Hibernation Effect. Made that term up last night. I think it's real.

The Hibernation Effect works this way. Like bears, baseball players come out of hibernation for Spring Training and then rummage around until October. Teams play six games a week for seven months. Day after day they rise to the occasion, their motors are running, they're in high gear, even overdrive. The unhealthy bears/teams die out by Fall. The survivors still have a fire in their belly as they go into the post season to fatten up. But those teams with the first round 'bye' sit out for almost a week. After six games a week for seven months I believe there's a psychological / subliminal feeling of "it's over." The fire in the belly dies, they go cold, into a hibernation of sorts, and when their turn comes to play again they are flat. We saw it this year with both the Orioles and Dodgers being swept. If not for Harper getting doubled off of first to end game two it would've been a sweep of the Braves last night in the Phillies HR Derby. I expect the Phillies to win tonight.

I saw this in 2007 when the Rockies burned up the league, winning 21 of 22 to end in a tie for the Division crown, then won a one game playoff, then swept teams in the playoffs and had to wait almost a week for the World Series with Boston who swept the Series in four games. The Rockies' juju turned off; flat as a pancake.

That's The Hibernation Effect, I believe it's real, and may not happen every year or to all teams, but it's the best I can come up with to explain how the winningest teams in baseball fall flat on their face and are swept away like so much dust.

Old 10-12-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As promised, here's my two cents on what we've seen happen in these playoffs.

I call it The Hibernation Effect. Made that term up last night. I think it's real.

The Hibernation Effect works this way. Like bears, baseball players come out of hibernation for Spring Training and then rummage around until October. Teams play six games a week for seven months. Day after day they rise to the occasion, their motors are running, they're in high gear, even overdrive. The unhealthy bears/teams die out by Fall. The survivors still have a fire in their belly as they go into the post season to fatten up. But those teams with the first round 'bye' sit out for almost a week. After six games a week for seven months I believe there's a psychological / subliminal feeling of "it's over." The fire in the belly dies, they go cold, into a hibernation of sorts, and when their turn comes to play again they are flat. We saw it this year with both the Orioles and Dodgers being swept. If not for Harper getting doubled off of first to end game two it would've been a sweep of the Braves last night in the Phillies HR Derby. I expect the Phillies to win tonight.

I saw this in 2007 when the Rockies burned up the league, winning 21 of 22 to end in a tie for the Division crown, then won a one game playoff, then swept teams in the playoffs and had to wait almost a week for the World Series with Boston who swept the Series in four games. The Rockies' juju turned off; flat as a pancake.

That's The Hibernation Effect, I believe it's real, and may not happen every year or to all teams, but it's the best I can come up with to explain how the winningest teams in baseball fall flat on their face and are swept away like so much dust.

Bolded part is all that I disagree with. And that's conditional.

You state it as "If Harper hadn't been doubled up".. Which.. implies that Harris still makes the catch (Which was a great catch).. At that point, they're still down by 1 with 2 outs in the top of the 9th with a runner on 1st and Brandon Stott coming to the plate. Now.. Nothing against Stott.. He's a fine player and a good hitter. He very well could have hit a home run to give the Phillies the lead, or a double that at least scores Harper.. But the odds are a bit long on it.

Now, if you're saying had Harris not made the catch.. Then things are totally different, becausee.. It's almost a guarantee that Harper scores on that and Realmuto probably winds up at second.. Which means.. Tie game. And.. All momentum shifts back to the Phillies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball