Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:21 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times

Advertisements

Today, November 2nd, is the deadline for teams to make qualifying offers. The QO is currently set at 17.5 million. Sources are reporting that the Nationals will make a qo to Bryce Harper, but as to whether Harper will accept or not....?

From ESPN...the scheduled events of the off season:
Quote:
Nov. 4: Gold Glove winners announced
Nov. 5: BBWAA Awards finalists announced
Nov. 5: MLB Executive of the Year announced
Nov. 6-9: General managers meetings in Carlsbad, California
Nov. 7: Defensive Players of the Year announced
Nov. 8: Silver Sluggers announced
Nov. 12: Rookies of the Year announced
Nov. 13: Managers of the Year announced
Nov. 14: Cy Young Awards announced
Nov. 15: MVP Awards announced
Nov. 19: Comeback Players of the Year announced
Nov. 20: Designated Hitter of the Year announced
Nov. 30: Non-tender deadline for arbitration-eligible players
Dec. 9-13: Winter meetings in Las Vegas
Jan. 11: Arbitration deadline
Feb. 13: Pitchers and catchers report
MLB hot stove: Complete coverage of baseball's offseason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 03:51 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
17.5 or 17.9?

Kershaw signs 3 year 93m with possibility of incentives.

Good idea on the thread.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
17.5 or 17.9?

Looking it up I find that it is 17.4 million.

Looking at the schedule of events, how MLB must love tormenting us by making us wait until November 20th to learn who has won the Designated Hitter of the Year Award. I tried to locate a list of all the past winners, but there doesn't seem to be one because the name of the award has been unstable. It isn't the Designated Hitter of the Year award any longer, it is now the Edgar Martinez Award, so named after Edgar had won what was being called Outstanding Designated Hitter of the Year five times. (Since then, David Ortiz has won the Edgar Martinez award eight times yet it remains named for Martinez.)

Way back when, Orlando Cepeda won the first ever Designated Hitter of the Year Award, which I am assuming has some continuity with the Outstanding Designated Hitter award through the Edgar Martinez award.

Nelson Cruz won for the 2017 season and I think he is the only viable candidate to win it for 2018.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Looking it up I find that it is 17.4 million.

Looking at the schedule of events, how MLB must love tormenting us by making us wait until November 20th to learn who has won the Designated Hitter of the Year Award. I tried to locate a list of all the past winners, but there doesn't seem to be one because the name of the award has been unstable. It isn't the Designated Hitter of the Year award any longer, it is now the Edgar Martinez Award, so named after Edgar had won what was being called Outstanding Designated Hitter of the Year five times. (Since then, David Ortiz has won the Edgar Martinez award eight times yet it remains named for Martinez.)

Way back when, Orlando Cepeda won the first ever Designated Hitter of the Year Award, which I am assuming has some continuity with the Outstanding Designated Hitter award through the Edgar Martinez award.

Nelson Cruz won for the 2017 season and I think he is the only viable candidate to win it for 2018.

By Do-Hyoung Park MLB.com @dohyoungpark
31 minutes ago

Teams had until 5 p.m. ET today to extend their prospective free agents a qualifying offer -- a one-year contract worth $17.9 million (the amount is the mean salary of MLB's 125 highest-paid players). Seven players received a qualifying offer, and they have 10 days to accept or reject it. That deadline is Nov. 12, at 5 p.m. ET.

https://www.mlb.com/news/list-of-pla...rs/c-300130990

Old 11-02-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Teams had until 5 p.m. ET today to extend their prospective free agents a qualifying offer -- a one-year contract worth $17.9 million
From Casa Blanca:

Quote:
Captain Renault: What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?

Rick: My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Captain Renault: The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

Rick: I was misinformed.

Old 11-03-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Houston Astros left-hander Dallas Keuchel and Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper were two of seven major league players to receive qualifying offers Friday.
Other players to receive qualifying offers Friday were Boston Red Sox closer Craig Kimbrel, Arizona Diamondbacks lefty Patrick Corbin and outfielder A.J. Pollock, and Los Angeles Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu and catcher Yasmani Grandal.
Houston Astros LHP Dallas Keuchel, Washington Nationals OF Bryce Harper receive qualifying offers

Since the new QO rules came into effect six seasons ago, there have been 73 offers made, and only five of them have been accepted.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:45 PM

Do you think QO offers are unfair to players that have reached the amount of years for free agency?

Old 11-03-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Do you think QO offers are unfair to players that have reached the amount of years for free agency?
The MLBPA approved it in 2012, and again in 2016, so the players apparently don't think it is too unfair. It was part of the negotiations of the last two basic agreements, so maybe they had agreed to that in exchange for something that they valued more.

Not having any inside information on the thinking of the current GM's, how damaging the compensation pick is to the chances of the free agent getting a fat payday, isn't known. Sometimes it backfires on the player completely, like Mike Moustakas last year. He turned down the Royals' QO because he thought Steve Boros was going to get him a big long term deal. No one was interested and Mike wound up signing a one year, 5.5 million dollar deal to go back to KC.

It could be helpful to Bryce Harper. His inconsistency had made his future harder to predict and clubs might not be motivated to go as high as they would following a banner Harper year. If he takes the QO from the Nationals, has a huge 2109, then he will hit the free agent market as a 27 year old with much improved offers.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Quote:

I think the players are doing just fine.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:33 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,199,724 times
Lets see what players get overpaid this offseason like Harper and non-hustling Machado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball