Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2013 NBA Champ
Miami Heat 19 26.39%
San Antonio Spurs 53 73.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,100,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
How can you grow tired of it when nobody even really pays attention to it? Lol.

Besides, nobody on the Spurs tries to be a goody-too-shoes. It's sad how not behaving like a 16 year old in a tall, athletic body makes you considered a goody-too-shoes these days.

Now Tim Tebow...
Exactly, because the spurs are not running around acting like children, keeping quiet, just playing basketball the way it was supposed to be played doesn't make them "goody-too-shoes". It makes MEN, doing their job and going about their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,116,640 times

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
I've grown tired of the Spurs goody-too-shoes narrative.
Yeah I kind of have too. I like the Spurs, but the way the media and fans constantly drone on about them "playing the right way" and "riding off into the sunset" and a million other cliches gets a little old at times. I don't hold that against the Spurs though, they have nothing to do with it. They just show up and play hard and smart, and are respectful to other teams and players, and they deserve a ton of respect for that, but I get tired of the media shoving narratives down our throats.

The media, and most people in general, have to categorize everyone into good guys and bad guys and sensationalize everything. We can't just have two great teams playing hard, there has to be a hero and a villain. The right way vs. the wrong way. Players can't have good and bad games, they're either chokers or cold-blooded assassins, and which category they're in changes on a nightly basis. A young player can't just be young guy still learning the ropes and figuring out how to win against older players and better teams, he's selfish player who only cares about stats and isn't a team guy. Everything always has to be black and white in some people's minds and they have to pigeonhole everyone into neat categories (see hyper-partisan modern politics).

I LOLed for days when the story came out about Oscar Pistorius savagely murdering his wife, after years of endless sappy human interest stories about him and how he's such a great role model and inspiration for people all over the world. In a modern sports world full of egotistical, selfish athletes and bad apples, finally, here's a guy we can all admire and look up to! A story about character, heart, and pure determination! It still cracks me up. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing funny about someone being murdered. What's funny is how wrong the media gets it about celebrities at times. They create these narratives about people and then shove them down our throats, and often times the narrative they create couldn't be further from the truth.

The same thing happened with Lance Armstrong. Tiger Woods. Kobe Bryant. The list goes on and on.

That's why I take these stories with a grain of salt and just focus on the games. The media loves building people up and putting them on a pedestal almost as much as it loves tearing them down. Kawhi Leonard is a great story right now, but in the future who knows?

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 06-20-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,128,501 times
Ive heard the media talking about how Lebron willed the team to victory, but man I saw him choke. They won in spite of Lebron James. He shot terribly, had a couple turnovers. I saw video of him in the huddle after one of his turnovers and he looked like a dear in the headlights. He ended up with great stats overall but it was kinda like ARod type stats.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,128,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

Thats hilarious. You can add Wade and Bosh to that too. They should do one with all three.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:04 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Eh, as sappy as it may be, I like reading articles about the Pop - Duncan relationship.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Ive heard the media talking about how Lebron willed the team to victory, but man I saw him choke. They won in spite of Lebron James. He shot terribly, had a couple turnovers. I saw video of him in the huddle after one of his turnovers and he looked like a dear in the headlights. He ended up with great stats overall but it was kinda like ARod type stats.
LOL. Lebron is the only guy in the league who can have a triple double with 32/10/11 (16 in the 4th quarter), along with 3 steals and a block, lead his team on a big 4th quarter comeback and to an overtime win, and people say he was terrible. He was clearly the best player on the floor the 4th quarter.

In OT he got the tip, assisted Bosh on a layup, assisted Ray Allen on a 4-foot jumper, got 2 defensive rebounds, hit a jumper, and played good defense on Tony Parker. But he was terrible because he missed 2 jumpers and had a turnover.

3:38Tony Parker misses 21-foot jumper
2:42Tony Parker misses free throw 1 of 2
2:03Tony Parker misses 26-foot three point jumper
1:20Tony Parker misses 21-foot jumper
1:19shot clock turnover
0:32Chris Bosh blocks Tony Parker 's 17-foot jumper

Don't want to talk about this? Or Tony Parker 6-23 in a potential finals-clinching game? I seem to recall some posts here not too long ago about how Tony Parker was showing Lebron how real MVPs play in crunch time.

I think Tony Parker is a great player who has made many clutch plays in his time, I'm just making a point.

Furthermore, Duncan had 5 points in the 2nd half and overtime. Can you imagine if Lebron did that?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
I like the Spurs, but the way the media and fans constantly drone on about them "playing the right way" and "riding off into the sunset" and a million other cliches gets a little old at times.
I am with you on this particular point. If a team can win a championship in any given year then they are playing the right way. If their advantage is more athleticism, then so be it. Athleticism is one major factor of many in a team's success.

No team makes a deep playoff run without playing the right way. The Spurs, as good as they are, do not have a monopoly on playing the game right.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
LOL. Lebron is the only guy in the league who can have a triple double with 32/10/11 (16 in the 4th quarter), along with 3 steals and a block, lead his team on a big 4th quarter comeback and to an overtime win, and people say he was terrible. He was clearly the best player on the floor the 4th quarter.

In OT he got the tip, assisted Bosh on a layup, assisted Ray Allen on a 4-foot jumper, got 2 defensive rebounds, hit a jumper, and played good defense on Tony Parker. But he was terrible because he missed 2 jumpers and had a turnover.

3:38Tony Parker misses 21-foot jumper
2:42Tony Parker misses free throw 1 of 2
2:03Tony Parker misses 26-foot three point jumper
1:20Tony Parker misses 21-foot jumper
1:19shot clock turnover
0:32Chris Bosh blocks Tony Parker 's 17-foot jumper

Don't want to talk about this? Or Tony Parker 6-23 in a potential finals-clinching game? I seem to recall some posts here not too long ago about how Tony Parker was showing Lebron how real MVPs play in crunch time.

I think Tony Parker is a great player who has made many clutch plays in his time, I'm just making a point.

Furthermore, Duncan had 5 points in the 2nd half and overtime. Can you imagine if Lebron did that?
Not defending LeBron bashing, but there's a big difference.

Duncan is a 37 year old big man. What he's doing at his age is flat out amazing, almost Parrish like. The way he popped off that night, one can forgive the 5 pt quiet second half. Whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, at 37, he is having a monster season and is the chief catalyst for why SA was in a good position to win in Game 6.

Parker went 6-23, but overall had a positive plus/minus and made decent/good ballhandling decisions. He was 6-23, but he had either 0 or 1 turnovers (I can't recall). So that means his shots were denied, but he rarely turned the ball over...unlike his fellow teammate.

LeBron, on the other hand, was on the road to having another disappointing night. Stat lines don't show everything. He turned the ball over 6 times, including during crucial moments. He missed a lot and made some questionable decisions. Had he not redeemed himself during the 4th, he would have been roasted over a spit today and rightfully so. His play the entire series has been sub-par. Considering he is one of the most gifted basketball phenoms (and he is very much aware of that) -- similar to Bryant and Jordan -- of course, he's going to get skewered if he has performances like that. You can't just go by numbers. You go by the actions on the court.

Now Ginobili on the other hand was bad throughout and you still keep watching the screen hoping that he similarly redeems himself when it counts. (sigh)

Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Not defending LeBron bashing, but there's a big difference.

Duncan is a 37 year old big man. What he's doing at his age is flat out amazing, almost Parrish like. The way he popped off that night, one can forgive the 5 pt quiet second half. Whether we choose to acknowledge it or not, at 37, he is having a monster season and is the chief catalyst for why SA was in a good position to win in Game 6.

Parker went 6-23, but overall had a positive plus/minus and made decent/good ballhandling decisions. He was 6-23, but he had either 0 or 1 turnovers (I can't recall). So that means his shots were denied, but he rarely turned the ball over...unlike his fellow teammate.

Now Ginobili on the other hand was bad throughout and you still keep watching the screen hoping that he similarly redeems himself when it counts. (sigh)
You're demonstrating my point. You're making excuses/justifications for Parker and Duncan that would never be accepted for Lebron. Other players get passes that he doesn't.

If Lebron went 6-23, no one would say "but at least he didn't have any turnovers" and then shift the blame to Wade for turning the ball over 8 times. The close out game of the 2010 finals Kobe went 6-24 and all people could talk about was how he got 15 rebounds and "found a way to win" and "gutted out the win" when his shot wasn't falling. If Lebron went 6 for 24, it wouldn't matter if he had 20 rebounds, 14 assists, and 6 blocks to go along with it, he would still get raked over the coals and people would say (if they won) that he was bailed out by his teammates.

No one would "forgive" a 5-point second half by Lebron, not even if he had 50 in the first half.

If Lebron plays great the 1st 3 quarters and then poorly in the 4th, then he's a choker who never plays well when it matters.

If he plays poorly the 1st 3 quarters and then phenomenal in the 4th quarter, he still had a bad game because he played poorly the 1st 3 quarters.

If he puts up a monster stat line and they lose then it's "you can't go by stats."

If he has a great all-around game and they lose it's still his fault because they lost.

If he has a great all-around game and they win then he's still a choker because he missed a jumper a 2:42 left in the game. Or he was bailed out by the refs, it's a conspiracy, David Stern wants the Heat to win, NBA= WWE, etc.

Lebron has had some bad stretches and underwhelming games this series, that is true, but a lot of the criticism is just ridiculous.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 06-20-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball