Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2013 NBA Champ
Miami Heat 19 26.39%
San Antonio Spurs 53 73.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I just heard the stat, 99% of the time the team with a 5 point lead and 28 seconds left wins the game, more proof the Spurs choked.

If the Spurs win game 7, it may be one of the great comebacks ever.
I saw this chart on businessinsider.com today, calculated by Betting Market Analytics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This series seems so damn scripted. Sucks. Spurs have them beat for 3 quarters, then suddenly LeBron saves the day with 4 quarter heroics after looking like a doofus in game 5. Something smells rotten here.
Yeah because it's so easy to hit game-tying 3-pointers on command. Give me a break.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
San Antonio blew it, contrary the how ESPN is positioning this.

Miami is now going to win the series. Hopefully their "fans" stick around for the whole game 7 this time.
The Spurs didn't blow it, Manu Ginobili did just as he's been a major reason all series why the Spurs even lost the way they did. Did you notice all the last possessions and the final quarter where Duncan and Parker started off on the bench, all the common denominators are one Manu Ginobili.

If the Spurs are serious about winning it all. They need to bench that turnover machine, NOT start him.

Every time the ball is in his hand, my cousin says "what's Manu going to do" and I say "either pass bad or find a way to turnover" and moments after I say it, he doesn't disappoint, he does exactly that and the Spurs are dumb enough to keep giving him the ball, over, and over again, when they could give it to someone else and make easy (or easier) much needed baskets.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM

I think the elephant in the room for the Heat/Spoelstra is Dwyane Wade's effect on the team's offense. Lebron tends to play much better when Wade is on the bench, and it has often been that way since this team was put together. The spacing is much better with more shooters on the floor, and the offense runs more smoothly and is more consistent and less prone to long scoring droughts.

As soon I saw Wade checking into the game after that 12-2 run I thought there goes the Heat's lead and probably the game, and within about a minute after a few bad possessions by the Heat the Spurs were up several points. IMO Spoelstra very nearly cost them the game by inserting him back in at that point. Lebron and Wade just aren't a very good fit and never really have been. Their talents are largely redundant and not very compatible.

Some stats that illustrate this:
  • Miami had an offensive efficiency of 92.0 with both LeBron and Wade on the court in Game 6.
  • Miami had an offensive efficiency of 143.3 with LeBron on the court and Wade on the bench in Game 6.
  • For the entire series, Miami has an offensive efficiency of 100.8 and a defensive efficiency of 112.7 with both LeBron and Wade on the court.
  • For the entire series, Miami has an offensive efficiency of 131.7 and a defensive efficiency of 89.5 with LeBron on the court and Wade on the bench.
Wade does play good defense, rebounds, and sometimes gets hot on offense. Sometimes he's instrumental in their wins, but their offense rarely seems to run very well when he's in the game.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:17 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
fundamentals basketball. They're called "free throws," because they're for free. There's no doubt the pressure on Leonard and Parker was intense....but combined they went 2-4 from the line in the last minute of the game. If either of them made both free throws, Ray Ray's 3 doesn't mean squat.

Hech of an effort by Miami though. I could see the Heat winning by 10+ tomorrow night.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don' t know if this was mentioned but the Spurs could have gotten a much better shot at the end of regulation had Danny Crawford not stopped play after Allen's 3-ball.

The play really should not have been stopped. There was no question it was a 3. Crawford was positioned near half court. The ref closest to the play was in perfect position.

Now on LBJ's 3-ball, play was not stopped because Crawford was the closest to the play and saw it was a three.

My point is that I think Crawford wanted to be sure for himself that Allen's 3 was valid instead of trusting the accuracy of the other refs. Bad stoppage of play.
I agree the play probably shouldn't have stopped. Whether that benefit/hurt San Antonio is debatable. Catching the defense off-guard vs. having time to draw up a play but facing a set defense. You could argue either way.

Popovich also subbed Duncan in illegally during that 3-pointer review too and the refs missed it. You can't sub on a reviewed call. If Duncan had hit a game winner can you imagine the uproar? They wouldn't have been able to do anything about it after the fact. That would have been a nightmare for the league.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Rigas - Ginobili is that X factor that can work for or against you. I'm just hoping that when it seems like it's working against you, he's gets pulled! He's basically in the lineup because a) Pop understandably trusts him, b) he might at any moment turn "on", c) he's definitely that X factor that many teams can't seem to figure out, and d) reputation. However, at 35, your reputation can only get you so far. If it was say Cory Joseph making that many TOs, he'd be out of there.

I personally think the Spurs will recover. They have won on Miami's floor before and almost did it again last night. Championship quality teams take these types of losses on the chin and they get up. "KO" only happens when the game 7 is over. I can bet you money that Miami isn't celebrating at all because they know, like we all do, that they escaped last night with their lives. Despite what some think, they can't mysteriously turn on a switch against the Spurs to make them disappear. Last night was by far the best that they could give and fortunately for them, they eked out a win. But they should have lost. At the same time, I think age does play a role in things despite the stellar play of Tim Duncan. The Heat can get away with playing LeBron, Wade and Bosh for four quarters and overtime because they are younger. LeBron was always on the floor it seemed like, whereas Duncan had to sit at some point and that's when Pop had to trot out the horrid combo of Splitter, Ginobili and randoms.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:27 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Double Post

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 06-19-2013 at 12:43 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 12:30 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
The Miami heat are your 2013 NBA champions, folks.

I'm so disappointed with the way the spurs gave away the trophy last night. Lazy, stupid decision making and poor timeout usage.

Between last night and Colt McCoy getting injured against Alabama, I'm convinced I'm cursed.

I really don't think I'm gonna recover from this one, guys. Ever.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The Miami heat are your 2013 NBA champions, folks.

I'm so disappointed with the way the spurs gave away the trophy last night. Lazy, stupid decision making and poor timeout usage.

Between last night and Colt McCoy getting injured against Alabama, I'm convinced I'm cursed.

I really don't think I'm gonna recover from this one, guys. Ever.
I think that's a bit drastic. Championship quality players never give up, why should we fans? At the end of the day, I'd still be proud of the Spurs effort and I'd say that it was a good battle between the two teams. Though I admit that I am not a hardcore sports fan, so while I can be disappointed, I appreciate a good fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball