Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2013 NBA Champ
Miami Heat 19 26.39%
San Antonio Spurs 53 73.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Well spoken.

I want to take your X-factor theory on a spin though. To me it seems like for every 6 games Many plays bad, he has one good or decent one to compensate for it. Honestly, I know the Spurs fans and the players and Spurs organization love Manu and he was a great proven player but for a game seven the way he's been playing, I think it's time for him to marry more minutes on the bench. He's not starter worthy at this point and going into a double elimination game (both Heat and Spurs facing it) in the last game of this season, I think it would be wise to bench him and take away the starter role. He's sort of let them down on that role and Miami plays like a wildebeast when they're desperate for a win, which of course they will be in game seven.

On another hand, I'm convinced LeBron James also puts too much confidence in his teammates sometimes, I've been watching him closely all season and it looks like he spends the first half of every game trying to get others going. Almost like it's a strategy of his to find out who else on the team has the hot hand (dependable shooter) to rely on in the game.

Also it's completely irrelevant but LeBron looks 6-7 years older without the headband. I had a hard time recognizing him without it, if it wasn't for the number six on his jersey, I'd have a harder time recognizing who he was on the floor.
I agree on both points. I say that with heavy heart, though, because Manu five years ago was definitely a major thorn in almost any opponent's side. I know it must be hard for him as a professional, when your heart is there but everything else is failing you at the most important time. The sad truth I've observed about the Spurs of 2007 (and before) and "Spurs 2.0", Spurs of '07 had a lot of potent X-factors that performed their primary roles very well -- i.e. Steve Kerr, Robert Horry, Malik Rose, etc. We sure could've used a Robert Horry right about now! And then there was Bruce Bowen. If Diaw gave LeBron fits, can you imagine what Bruce (Enforcer) Bowen would have done? As well as the Spurs have played, they are a tad reliant on the top in the post season, though I can understand why. It's times like these that Pop could really use some vet presence on the bench. Unfortunately, Manu seems to be the chief option available lately. Outside of the three top players, everyone else is still a work in progress. Another truth, these works in progress are only getting better each year, which is very smart player development. The aim is to keep the Spurs relevant after Duncan is gone, and each painful defeat is fodder for their development. Look at Danny (Wilted against OkC) Green this year!

Miami is very top heavy as well and cannot afford either of their top 3 to struggle, but in taking on Ray Allen, they've added a potent X-factor to pick up the slack. You don't know when he's going to do it, but you know that in a crunch, this guy is gonna be the one who will deny LeBron's request for a shot and take it himself, with confidence. Because he's been there before. I wish Manu was like Allen right now. Allen had a pretty pedestrian night (9 pts.) but made a difference when it counted. Manu? Bad all over. Not one thing he did right..and two turnovers in crucial overtime is unexcusable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,052,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I don't think anyone has said that.
Nor do I think saying "Pop is a crappy coach" is a criticism.

He may not be a crappy coach but that sure was a crappy coaching job last night by allowing his team to lose a 5 pt lead with 27 secs left

Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,485,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
The Miami heat are your 2013 NBA champions, folks.

I'm so disappointed with the way the spurs gave away the trophy last night. Lazy, stupid decision making and poor timeout usage.

Between last night and Colt McCoy getting injured against Alabama, I'm convinced I'm cursed.

I really don't think I'm gonna recover from this one, guys. Ever.

You've been SPURned!

HAHAHHAHA....

Old 06-19-2013, 08:14 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,098,720 times
"His hair went North, his talents went South, and his mother went West.”

Chael sonnen is crazy awesome!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
Chael Sonnen is a major douche bag, but I LOLed at that line.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
Some interesting plus/minus stats from game 6...

Ginoboli -21
Splitter -13
Duncan +16
Green -12

Wade -15
Miller +15
Chalmers +13

Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,795,077 times
The last road team to win a game 7 in the finals was in 1978. The trends are pointing to a double digit win for the Heat. The Spurs aren't hopeless because Miami has only had one huge game in these finals with the big three, if Popovich lets his best players play in crucial times, if Wade plays like he has in 5 of these games, same for Bosh, and if Lebron gets injured, the Spurs have a shot.

The biggest question is can the Spurs get over that loss in a short amount of time, at least if its a blowout Duncan and Parker would have gotten some rest and the Spurs could say they were outplayed by the better team. Losing the way they did, with the trophy being rolled out, heck you couldn't convince me that the Heat thought they had lost, and the Spurs know it. If the Spurs do win tomorrow night, it will be one of the greatest games and comebacks ever.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:46 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,399,426 times
Boy would I like to see the Spurs pull this one out, but they seem out of gas. Running, running, running to keep the Heat from setting up their half-court defense has worn them out. Duncan looked hobbled, exhausted, and finished in the 4th quarter. Ginobili disappeared and made stupid mistakes. Parker seemed a step slower. Spurs are going to have to play exceptionally well to pull it out.

Just seems so scripted, designed to showcase LeBron (who I am just sick to death of looking at).

Old 06-20-2013, 04:25 AM

462 posts, read 427,911 times
I've grown tired of the Spurs goody-too-shoes narrative.

Last edited by Wild100s; 06-20-2013 at 04:34 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 06:20 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,974,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild100s View Post
I've grown tired of the Spurs goody-too-shoes narrative.
How can you grow tired of it when nobody even really pays attention to it? Lol.

Besides, nobody on the Spurs tries to be a goody-too-shoes. It's sad how not behaving like a 16 year old in a tall, athletic body makes you considered a goody-too-shoes these days.

Now Tim Tebow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball