Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 10:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,617,020 times

Advertisements

Can the Lakers actually compete for a 7/8 seed this year? I think the feeling going into the season is the team would be improved slightly but still a year out from competeing for a playoff spot. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 09:18 AM

858 posts, read 1,145,749 times
Watched the Lakers/GSW game and was impressed with the Lakers playing with heart and effort, taking advantage of the Warriors back to back. Making some early noise is one thing, making the playoffs is a totally different matter in this young season. Luke Walton has them off to a good start and with sustained good play who knows what possibilities are ahead on the horizon.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:24 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
Watched the Lakers/GSW game and was impressed with the Lakers playing with heart and effort, taking advantage of the Warriors back to back. Making some early noise is one thing, making the playoffs is a totally different matter in this young season. Luke Walton has them off to a good start and with sustained good play who knows what possibilities are ahead on the horizon.
It was said this morning on ESPN that the lakers didn;t win their 4th game until the 25th game last season.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
It was said this morning on ESPN that the lakers didn;t win their 4th game until the 25th game last season.
Funny you mention this, I googled their schedule from last year last night because I was thinking four wins already this year!? Yeah, though seven games last year they were 1-6. Didn't get their fourth victory until Dec.15th I think.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
The Lakers have won 3 straight and are above .500, when is the last time that happened..one thing is for sure it wasn't anytime recently.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:32 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
Quote:
The Lakers have won 3 straight and are above .500, when is the last time that happened..one thing is for sure it wasn't anytime recently.
So was it the coach last year or no Kobe this year or both?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 AM

Quote:
So was it the coach last year or no Kobe this year or both?
Probably a combination of both and renewed optimism of a new season.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Probably a combination of both and renewed optimism of a new season.
And the fact that the only real playing rookie is Ingram. Russell, Clarkson, Randle are 2nd/3rd year players with experience now. Walton is having Ingram play point on a lot of possessions giving him a bunch more confidence too.

The chemistry on this team is awesome. And I think it has to do with their age, new system and coach.

Walton has given this team a new life; they're running, playing D and battling in close games.

Without a couple of bonehead plays they could easily be 5-1, possibly even 6-0 right now.

After beating an admittedly poor playing Warriors team, I think the Lakers are finding their identity in a sort of Warriors-lite style of play.

I still think the Lakers have one of the best benches in the league right now too.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:13 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Can the Lakers actually compete for a 7/8 seed this year? I think the feeling going into the season is the team would be improved slightly but still a year out from competeing for a playoff spot. We'll see.
We'll see, they've been playing with energy so it could happen if they keep it up and don't have any injuries or a slump.

Really have to give Walton a lot of credit.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:49 PM

I was curious about there rotation. I did some quick research and saw that they have 9 guys averaging 20+ minutes per game (using 19.0+ as the cut off). I thought that was maybe a good thing and looked up the Spurs, they've got 8 guys averaging 20min. Other successful teams like the Warriors, Cavs, Clippers, Trailblazers, OKC, were all between 6-7 I think. But then I looked at the Pelicans and 76ers and they were at 9 and 10 respectively. Pelicans were actually really close to having 10 guys. My initial thought was that it could be good to try to replicate what the spurs do, but these bad teams also show that it could just be a byproduct of just not having enough good players to begin with.

Kind of like the old football saying, if you have two QB's, it means you don't have a good QB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball