Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your pick?
Gonzaga 5 50.00%
North Carolina 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:23 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Best title matchup in years....unfortunately it came paired with the worst officiating in years
I agree with the second part. Disagree with the first part. The quality of the product on the floor wasn't very good last night. It likely would not have been much better with superior officiating.

Last year's game was a better matchup and had an obviously superior finish even if the quality of the game overall wasn't that great. The Kansas-Memphis matchup featuring Derrick Rose and Mario Chalmers was much better than last night's game. I even enjoyed Michigan-Louisville and Duke-Butler more than this game.

The last NCAA championship game that I thought was "jump out of my seat good" was between UConn and Duke back in 1999. Rip Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Trajan Langdon. That was a high pressure back and forth game with a lot of hustle and high quality play.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with the second part. Disagree with the first part. The quality of the product on the floor wasn't very good last night. It likely would not have been much better with superior officiating.

Last year's game was a better matchup and had an obviously superior finish even if the quality of the game overall wasn't that great. The Kansas-Memphis matchup featuring Derrick Rose and Mario Chalmers was much better than last night's game. I even enjoyed Michigan-Louisville and Duke-Butler more than this game.

The last NCAA championship game that I thought was "jump out of my seat good" was between UConn and Duke back in 1999. Rip Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Trajan Langdon. That was a high pressure back and forth game with a lot of hustle and high quality play.
Most interesting title matchup may be better way to phrase it.

Blueblood team out for redemption after a heartbreaker last year; vs a first time appearance from incredibly strong team that had already silenced it's doubters by making it there in the first place.... Tight game until the very end (which could largely be because neither team was allowed the opportunity for momentum with all the damn whistles and reviews from the crap refs). Impressive stamina of players on both teams who were playing with injuries and exhaustion... It was a great storyline other than the officiating.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Most interesting title matchup may be better way to phrase it.

Blueblood team out for redemption after a heartbreaker last year; vs a first time appearance from incredibly strong team that had already silenced it's doubters by making it there in the first place.... Tight game until the very end (which could largely be because neither team was allowed the opportunity for momentum with all the damn whistles and reviews from the crap refs). Impressive stamina of players on both teams who were playing with injuries and exhaustion... It was a great storyline other than the officiating.
But wasn't that Duke-Butler a few years ago?

The storyline would be more compelling with a true Cinderella story like NC State under Jimmy V. But Gonzaga has been a steadily improving program so the story is more about them getting over the hump than it is about a true David vs Goliath matchup, which is really the storyline most casual college BB fans are interested in.

A truly compelling storyline would be a team like Valparaiso going the distance. But Gonzaga was a #1 seed, and while I get your point about a program seeking to prove its doubters wrong, I simply don't think the story of a 1 seed playing another 1 seed is all that compelling.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 AM

I'm convinced that the whole "college players have more heart" trope is solely because they cry after tournament losses. I suppose crying is indicative of greater effort and/or emotional investment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbmwXnO5t8

Old 04-04-2017, 10:38 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Have to wonder about the fake classes scandal\punishment hanging over the head of UNC's program as well as the lawsuits by former players. I only mention this because I was *shocked* when they alluded to it during tournament commentary.

Only thing that just keeps me from getting into college sports more is the rampant cheating at so many of the top programs. Heck, the hookers, jobs for family, payoffs stuff doesn't even really bother me that much but the faux education and then well....firings of staff that note the cheating then fan-based death threats aimed at whistleblowers and it gets ugly in a hurry.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:28 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Have to wonder about the fake classes scandal\punishment hanging over the head of UNC's program as well as the lawsuits by former players. I only mention this because I was *shocked* when they alluded to it during tournament commentary.

Only thing that just keeps me from getting into college sports more is the rampant cheating at so many of the top programs. Heck, the hookers, jobs for family, payoffs stuff doesn't even really bother me that much but the faux education and then well....firings of staff that note the cheating then fan-based death threats aimed at whistleblowers and it gets ugly in a hurry.
I have to disagree that fake classes are cheating in this context. College is meant to prepare you for your chosen career. NBA-bound players being expected to spend time in classrooms is scandalous.

Aside from that, I've watched MLB games that were more fluid (and quicker) than that travesty of a final.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:36 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,341,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I even enjoyed Michigan-Louisville and Duke-Butler more than this game.

Having seen both the Michigan-Louisville (2013 Final Four) and last night's game in person, I have to agree. Last night's game they called too tight on both sides, and the let's jack up as many 3's as we can and try and miss as many as we can, really made the game hard to watch, even being there.

I don't know if the players were just overconfident in their 3-point shooting or it was a depth perception thing, but when you race down the floor and pull up for a three over and over and over and keep missing, maybe, just maybe, you should try a different shot.

I'm glad North Carolina won, but they did play 3 sloppy/ugly games in the tournament (Arkansas, Oregon, and Gonzaga) and a fourth against Kentucky where they did end up shooting 46.6%, but could have easily lost that game as well. Survive and advance, isn't that the mantra!

Old 04-04-2017, 12:43 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I have to disagree that fake classes are cheating in this context. College is meant to prepare you for your chosen career. NBA-bound players being expected to spend time in classrooms is scandalous.

Aside from that, I've watched MLB games that were more fluid (and quicker) than that travesty of a final.
You're joking right?

Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I was surprised they mentioned it as well. I don't know the details but as far as I know the investigation is ongoing.

I have trouble with the NCAA as a governing body. First, they profit a great deal off of student athletes. I don't think normal folks understand the work the goes into being a college athlete at any sport on any level. To say here's your free education as payment does not acknowledge what was earned in many cases and what it takes to maintain a high level of excellence. I'm not saying the NCAA should pull out a loan to compensate, but its pretty clear the mass profits should be reallocated fairly.

Second, the investigation and enforcement branch is so wildly inconsistent. I'm a big Buckeye fan, the fact that some student athlete sold their own property and a coach was cooperating with a federal investigation over demands of the NCAA gets put on par with buying homes for star players parents or not looking into the whole Auburn ordeal 5/6 years ago- beyond rationale thought for me. BUT hey lets all cheer because a mighty sports program was slapped. Show me a good judge/jury/executioner system that works?

Now the play on the Court is great by the time conference play rolls around the games matter more. I get tired of watching the Cavs limp through an 82 game season with very little emotion even when playing a fellow playoff contender.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,807,596 times
For folks complaining about the officiating...

the Gonzaga/South Carolina game was TERRIBLE. There was every attempt made to make Gonzaga earn that one. I didn't have a fan or a betting interest but if I did...I'd be 10X more upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball