Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is your pick?
Gonzaga 5 50.00%
North Carolina 5 50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:51 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The last NCAA championship game that I thought was "jump out of my seat good" was between UConn and Duke back in 1999. Rip Hamilton, Khalid El-Amin, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Trajan Langdon. That was a high pressure back and forth game with a lot of hustle and high quality play.
I still remember that game. I remember El Amin being a short, chubby point guard. And he was getting up and the down the floor with the best of them. That was an excellent game!

Old 04-04-2017, 05:52 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I have to disagree that fake classes are cheating in this context. College is meant to prepare you for your chosen career. NBA-bound players being expected to spend time in classrooms is scandalous.

Aside from that, I've watched MLB games that were more fluid (and quicker) than that travesty of a final.
Except most of them, even at a school like UNC....don't end up in the NBA.

Let's face it, the NCAA enforced graduation rates tied to scholarships to combat this. This is a blatant attempt to subvert those rules.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:57 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I was surprised they mentioned it as well. I don't know the details but as far as I know the investigation is ongoing.

I have trouble with the NCAA as a governing body. First, they profit a great deal off of student athletes. I don't think normal folks understand the work the goes into being a college athlete at any sport on any level. To say here's your free education as payment does not acknowledge what was earned in many cases and what it takes to maintain a high level of excellence. I'm not saying the NCAA should pull out a loan to compensate, but its pretty clear the mass profits should be reallocated fairly.

Second, the investigation and enforcement branch is so wildly inconsistent. I'm a big Buckeye fan, the fact that some student athlete sold their own property and a coach was cooperating with a federal investigation over demands of the NCAA gets put on par with buying homes for star players parents or not looking into the whole Auburn ordeal 5/6 years ago- beyond rationale thought for me. BUT hey lets all cheer because a mighty sports program was slapped. Show me a good judge/jury/executioner system that works?

Now the play on the Court is great by the time conference play rolls around the games matter more. I get tired of watching the Cavs limp through an 82 game season with very little emotion even when playing a fellow playoff contender.
If you read up on what occurred at UNC, you'll come to realize that the investigation at this point is at the building the scaffolding phase.

Report: UNC settles with whistleblower for $335K - CBSSports.com

Sued by former athletes, settled with whistleblower.....get the rope.

FYI- I'm not even a college basketball fan so I'm not some Dukey aiming at UNC. I read the article about the death threats against the whistleblower and illegal firing years ago and it angered me. At least they're not "penn state" bad.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:43 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,747,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If you read up on what occurred at UNC, you'll come to realize that the investigation at this point is at the building the scaffolding phase.

Report: UNC settles with whistleblower for $335K - CBSSports.com

Sued by former athletes, settled with whistleblower.....get the rope.

FYI- I'm not even a college basketball fan so I'm not some Dukey aiming at UNC. I read the article about the death threats against the whistleblower and illegal firing years ago and it angered me. At least they're not "penn state" bad.
Fake news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball