Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 11:46 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I am getting a Celtics fan thread going, because there wasn't one. Looking forward to having a lot to talk about in the upcoming season.

Last season, I loved watching the guys grow together as a team (Tatum, Brown, Smart, and Horford ... then throw in Rob Williams, Grant Williams, Derrick White, occasionally Peyton Pritchard or Daniel Theis). Once they turned the corner half-way through the season, they got better and better.

Right now the big thing is "will they or won't they" make another trade offer for Kevin Durant. Myself, I hope they don't, because they have so much going for them and would have to mess with the team chemistry and mechanics. They would risk throwing away some of their fan base, too. I'm hoping to see Tatum, Brown, Smart and Horford together next year. With the additions of Brogdon and Gallinari, they should be in good shape to make a push into the playoffs again.

Let's go C's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 06:41 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
I think the KD trade is being entertained because for all the talent the C's have, there is no real alpha dog closer. Tatum is not it. He's probably better as a number 2 guy. He has far too many 10 point, 4-17 games for my taste if you are going to be anointed a superstar in this league. He's really a slightly better version of Khris Middleton, capable of 40 points one game 11 points the next.

We already know that Brown and Smart are not the alpha dog leaders either. The Cs need one. You give KD that supporting cast that Tatum has and I think they win it all. Instead of bipolar Kyrie and gutless Simmons.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:39 PM

Both Tatum and Brown have improved individually and together. Tatum did bonk, though, in the finals, while Brown was making plays to keep the C's in contention. So I think Tatum needs to talk himself into a more aggressive playing style when the team needs a boost. He has all of the moves and his fundamentals are excellent, he just didn't perform when they needed clutch plays.

Here is the latest on a potential KD trade, basically that KD likes the idea of Boston and wants Marcus Smart to still be there if he lands with the C's.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/sources-...us-smart-trade

Old 08-11-2022, 05:37 AM

Some insight on Tatum’s A/TO from a coach:

https://www.celticsblog.com/platform...boston-celtics

Old 08-11-2022, 10:03 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
I'm with nico7, this Celtic team is still on an upward curve. Tatum and Brown can continue to develop especially as playoff scorers.

With Durant, they'd lose a key cog or two and it could damage their chemistry. Going into a new season, I wouldn't assume Durant will do better than Tatum for instance, and he'd probably miss many more games. And I don't think Durant is necessarily a good teammate on or off the court.

Celts can stand pat if they want, they don't need for much. Just let the young stars grow into being more efficient offensively.

Old 08-12-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm with nico7, this Celtic team is still on an upward curve. Tatum and Brown can continue to develop especially as playoff scorers.

With Durant, they'd lose a key cog or two and it could damage their chemistry. Going into a new season, I wouldn't assume Durant will do better than Tatum for instance, and he'd probably miss many more games. And I don't think Durant is necessarily a good teammate on or off the court.

Celts can stand pat if they want, they don't need for much. Just let the young stars grow into being more efficient offensively.
I think it's going to be a test of the team chemistry, not even the KD issue but the Brogdon trade. As it stands, I think their starting lineup is Brogdon, Brown, Tatum Horford and Robert Williams. So the question now is can Smart's ego handle basically a demotion to the bench as a backup? He is not a championship point guard that you need to win titles. I personally think this will be a struggle for him, and since he's the heart and soul of the team, kind of like Draymond for the Warriors, I think this will be a problem chemistry wise. I wouldnt be shocked if he eventually wants a trade.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I think it's going to be a test of the team chemistry, not even the KD issue but the Brogdon trade. As it stands, I think their starting lineup is Brogdon, Brown, Tatum Horford and Robert Williams. So the question now is can Smart's ego handle basically a demotion to the bench as a backup? He is not a championship point guard that you need to win titles. I personally think this will be a struggle for him, and since he's the heart and soul of the team, kind of like Draymond for the Warriors, I think this will be a problem chemistry wise. I wouldnt be shocked if he eventually wants a trade.
Do the Celts really plan to start Brogdan over Smart? After he won Defensive player of the year and led his team to the finals? Maybe you know something I don't but I see Brogdan fighting for minutes off the bench alongside rising guard Derrick White.

But I'm with your point about the Celts lacking elite point playmaking. Plenty of Celts can handle the ball and play some point but none of them are special in that area. Possibly White could develop into the full article but I don't think it's Brogdan, two teams have given up on him and I don't think he's all that special. But this phase of the game could prevent them from winning a title (and KD would not help here).

Last edited by Back to NE; 08-12-2022 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-12-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Do the Celts really plan to start Brogdan over Smart? After he won Defensive player of the year and led his team to the finals? Maybe you know something I don't but I see Brogdan fighting for minutes off the bench alongside rising guard Derrick White.

But I'm with your point about the Celts lacking elite point playmaking. Plenty of Celts can handle the ball and play some point but none of them are special in that area. Possibly White could develop into the full article but I don't think it's Brogdan, two teams have given up on him and I don't think he's all that special. But this phase of the game could prevent them from winning a title (and KD would not help here).
Both Brogdon and Smart are making around $20 million a year. That is too much to be coming off the bench for either player. I think someone has to be traded, I dont think it will be Brogdon since they just got him so it has to be Smart.

Winning the DPOY inflated Smart's value above what he is honestly. He's a 3 and D guy. Good defender, but I think even he knows deep down that he wasnt the best defender in the league. He did little to nothing in the finals defensively against Curry. Some might argue that it's unfair to expect him to succeed defensively against Curry but if he's the best defensive guard in the league well this was the opportunity to prove it.

Brogdon is not as good as Smart defensively but he's decent. Yet he is miles ahead of Smart offensively. And like you said, offense is where Boston has the most need. They have enough good defensive players to cover for Brogdon on that end, but they need him to be the playmaker on offense. I think he will do that very well.

Milwaukee didnt give up on him, Indiana came in with the monster bid that was hard to match since the Bucks frankly effed up by signing Bledsoe at the same time. Indiana is rebuilding so they let all their stars go including Sabonis.

Old 08-12-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Both Brogdon and Smart are making around $20 million a year. That is too much to be coming off the bench for either player. I think someone has to be traded, I dont think it will be Brogdon since they just got him so it has to be Smart.

Winning the DPOY inflated Smart's value above what he is honestly. He's a 3 and D guy. Good defender, but I think even he knows deep down that he wasnt the best defender in the league. He did little to nothing in the finals defensively against Curry. Some might argue that it's unfair to expect him to succeed defensively against Curry but if he's the best defensive guard in the league well this was the opportunity to prove it.

Brogdon is not as good as Smart defensively but he's decent. Yet he is miles ahead of Smart offensively. And like you said, offense is where Boston has the most need. They have enough good defensive players to cover for Brogdon on that end, but they need him to be the playmaker on offense. I think he will do that very well.

Milwaukee didnt give up on him, Indiana came in with the monster bid that was hard to match since the Bucks frankly effed up by signing Bledsoe at the same time. Indiana is rebuilding so they let all their stars go including Sabonis.
Bucks didn't get much for Brogdan (some draft picks) and the next year they gave up a ton for Jrue Holiday. So clearly the Bucks (correctly given the championship) rated Holiday much higher than Brogdan. But I'll give Brogdan a chance to shine brighter than he has so far. I think he can and will play with Smart as can Derrick White who will probably emerge higher this year.

Smart couldn't do much with Curry (nor did any other Celtic), but he had a great defensive year. His intangibles are real high too, best on the team.

Old 08-12-2022, 05:44 PM

Brogdon has the offensive edge over Smart, but Brogdon has usually sat out a large number of games over the last couple of seasons. He gets injured and can't play. Celts have said he would be the 6th man, last I heard. That will reduce his minutes and hopefully keep him healthier longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball