Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 01:01 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
If bronny still wants to take a chance and play in the nba, even if he plays 1 year and is a bust, i would still take him at #1.
That's why you're not a GM or team owner.

No one is dumb enough to knowingly waste a #1 lottery draft pick on a 1 year bust.

That's an organizational changing risk that can set you back for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 08:16 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Would you take a chance on an 18 year old who just suffered a heart attack? I waited until I was 58 to have my first one.
Cardiac arrest. As they tell us, this is not the same as a heart attack. His heart actually stopped working.

So, the question is why? Seems to me that either he has a congenital heart problem or he has been using drugs such as cocaine. I'm guessing the former, in which case he may never play pro ball.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:34 AM

351 posts, read 224,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good.

People can finally wake up and take the absurd pressure off him to be or come close to his dad.

MJ's kids couldn't be him, and neither will LeBron's kids be him. Neither were shaqs kids. Neither were (insert star athlete here). Now if people want Bronny to risk his life trying to go to compete in the NBA, then they'll have some blood on their hands if he has another cardiac arrest on the court.

It's not the end of the world when a star athlete has kids who don't also become a star athlete. Having a father who is a BILLIONAIRE is a nice consolation price.
The kids of Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr, Bob Boone, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Keith Tkachuk, etc., might beg to differ.

That said, you're right...many kids of star athletes don't meet lofty expectations when they follow their successful, athletic dads.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:28 PM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
It's the call from hell. The call from the hospital to the father telling him about his son's situation. Two close friends of mine had the same experience with their sons, and losing them, one from co-vid and the other from a drunk driver.

Absolute hell.

Old 07-26-2023, 02:04 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,296,702 times
Get well soon. Basketball is secondary, I hope he is fine and can still play ball, but if not, life will go on.

Old 07-26-2023, 03:13 PM

1,088 posts, read 442,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Get well soon. Basketball is secondary, I hope he is fine and can still play ball, but if not, life will go on.
Brian sutter, the md with a YouTube channel said bronnys career could be over. Hank gathers died because of a heart issue, and he could have stopped playing but didnt. Its crazy that hank gathers went to usc first, just like bronny, and erik spolstra was next to hank gathers when he fell and died, and erik spolstra coached lebron and knew his son in miami.

The chances of a athlete getting cardic arrest is 2 in 100,000, so its such a crazy chance erik spolstra is the middle man being around hank and bronny

Old 07-26-2023, 06:01 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
It depends on the reason for the arrest. If he has cardiomegaly or a congenital condition (physical), his career should be over. If it was a rhythm issue (electrical), he can get an ICD implanted to shock him back into a regular rhythm and he could choose to continue to play. The footballer from Denmark who arrested at the 2020 Euros did the latter:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/03/footb...ntl/index.html

Old 07-26-2023, 07:08 PM

1,088 posts, read 442,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It depends on the reason for the arrest. If he has cardiomegaly or a congenital condition (physical), his career should be over. If it was a rhythm issue (electrical), he can get an ICD implanted to shock him back into a regular rhythm and he could choose to continue to play. The footballer from Denmark who arrested at the 2020 Euros did the latter:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/03/footb...ntl/index.html
It sucks that bronny didnt even play a single game yet for usc. I guess lebron can just get to 40k points or 39,900 points, retire after this year, and come back for (2) 10 day contracts and play with bryce, get 40k, and retire for good.

Old 07-26-2023, 07:16 PM

1,196 posts, read 528,803 times
Very sad situation. It's been reported he has no congenital problems.

Old 07-27-2023, 02:33 AM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
The kids of Bobby Bonds, Ken Griffey Sr, Bob Boone, Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Keith Tkachuk, etc., might beg to differ.

That said, you're right...many kids of star athletes don't meet lofty expectations when they follow their successful, athletic dads.
*I forgot, Trinity Rodman found success in soccer, being the daughter of Dennis Rodman

But yes, the point is that more times than not, kids are not going to be the next Lebron, MJ, Serena Williams, Tiger Woods, Steph Curry, etc.

Bronny is no exception, and nothing is wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball