Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,686,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
I am a transplant from here, my hubby was not a frat guy nor do I see what you are talking about. perkins Rowe, to me, is full of families and people of many races and social status-one of my favorite places to walk around and get a nice dinner from CPK.
I agree with you.

My wife and I are 60 somethings...old farts. Even we go to Perkins Rowe every now and again.

There are definitely alot of college students that go there. And also high school students. I don't see why that should be a bad thing, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 AM

I think alot of people are completely misunderstanding the reasons why us "locals" are upset with all the complaints. Bear with me as I try to not to offend anyone.

People say we get mad when they say we aren't one of the world's greatest entertainment meccas like New Orleans or Vegas, that we aren't very walkable, that we aren't as deliciously liberal as San Fran, that we don't have the public transportation options of New York City, we aren't as wealthy as affluent as another city, we have worse crime than such-n-such a town 2,000 miles away.

Newsflash: We never claimed to be any of those things

There is a crime problem in Baton Rouge. We know this. However dangerous, it is not Baghdad. We are doing everything within reason to try to help the problem. Some at risk and already dangerous neighborhoods have formed crime prevention districts, and residents pay extra money out of pocket for private patrols. Other areas have acknowledged the problem, which is the first step to correcting it. A good example is the "take back 10" initiative going on in Mid-City.

There is a walkability problem in Baton Rouge. We know this. Understand that we are a young city. Almost all of it was built after the invention of the automobile. But when people finally realized that auto-centrism was dangerous, most of the city was already built. We are a city of subdivisions, which also creates problems. Most are large, and purely residential. There is no place within walking distance for many of these folks, so sidewalks in those areas are not going to do anything to get people out of their cars. Realistically, we cannot do anything to alleviate the "spreadoutedness" of the city. Nothing short of a miracle is going to make Shenandoah more convenient to Downtown, or make LSU more convenient to Metro Airport....However we can make some areas more walkable than they are. The new sidewalks going in along Perkins Road are evidence that we are making progress. Other indicators of progress are the planned extension of the levee path, the addition of bike lanes and new sidewalks to go into the Brightside Drive construction. In additon to that, many of the Green Light Plan projects include sidewalks. This is a problem that has been realized, and is one that most of us freely admit. We are not ashamed because we are doing what we can with what we got. We can't put down hundreds of miles of sidewalks overnight.

However, I honestly do not feel like we have a shortage of things to do for a city of 225,000. I am in my 60's and even I can find things to do. We may not be on the "cutting edge" as one poster put it, but we don't claim to be. I don't think you'll find very many "cutting edge" cities of 225,000 in the south.

Also, there are many good local restaurants, but if I told you where they are, it might be harder for me to get a table next time I go. Go hunting and see if you can find them. One that I will brag about is Don's Seafood. It's a little bit out of the way for South Baton Rougeans, but well worth the trip. Also, for amazingly fresh seafood, head to Tony's on Plank Road. There are countless other good places to find grub, though. Go out and sample. A good place to start on the hunt for a variety of good local restaurants would be Government Street.

Gosh...there is so much more to write. Anybody mind if I take a break and pick up where I left off later?

For now, I'll close with this: Are there places of a similar size (lets make the criteria 200,000 to 250,000 in city limits) that are so much better than Baton Rouge? Maybe. However I don't feel like this means that Baton Rouge is a place that should be criticized so harshly. Especially when the people doing it don't give me the impression that they have really explored the things that define Baton Rouge.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 12-03-2010 at 01:18 AM..

Old 12-03-2010, 04:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,353,186 times
Applause ...

Old 12-03-2010, 11:56 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
I agree with MetroBTR, for a city of our size and since we are not a vacation destination, we have enough things to do for 750,000 people. When we get more amenities across the metro area we will have more things to keep us happy.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousLindsey View Post
The original list contained lots of outdoor activities that I would love to get involved in if the weather here wasn't so miserable. It would be great to be outside more often, but I just can't handle the humidity. I was born and raised here, so you'd think I would be used to it, but it affects me twice as much as it seems to affect most people. I just wish I could enjoy all of the activities listed without having a heatstroke, being eaten by mosquitoes, or drowning in my own sweat.

Also,
Where is this? I'd like to check that out sometime.
I think that the weather here is perfect! It was only 54 degress today-if you are sweating outside in that..there is somwthing wrong with you. This is the state for outdoor stuff, especially in the fall and winter, our climate at this time of year is perfect!

Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,488,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
I think alot of people are completely misunderstanding the reasons why us "locals" are upset with all the complaints. Bear with me as I try to not to offend anyone.

People say we get mad when they say we aren't one of the world's greatest entertainment meccas like New Orleans or Vegas, that we aren't very walkable, that we aren't as deliciously liberal as San Fran, that we don't have the public transportation options of New York City, we aren't as wealthy as affluent as another city, we have worse crime than such-n-such a town 2,000 miles away.

Newsflash: We never claimed to be any of those things

There is a crime problem in Baton Rouge. We know this. However dangerous, it is not Baghdad. We are doing everything within reason to try to help the problem. Some at risk and already dangerous neighborhoods have formed crime prevention districts, and residents pay extra money out of pocket for private patrols. Other areas have acknowledged the problem, which is the first step to correcting it. A good example is the "take back 10" initiative going on in Mid-City.

There is a walkability problem in Baton Rouge. We know this. Understand that we are a young city. Almost all of it was built after the invention of the automobile. But when people finally realized that auto-centrism was dangerous, most of the city was already built. We are a city of subdivisions, which also creates problems. Most are large, and purely residential. There is no place within walking distance for many of these folks, so sidewalks in those areas are not going to do anything to get people out of their cars. Realistically, we cannot do anything to alleviate the "spreadoutedness" of the city. Nothing short of a miracle is going to make Shenandoah more convenient to Downtown, or make LSU more convenient to Metro Airport....However we can make some areas more walkable than they are. The new sidewalks going in along Perkins Road are evidence that we are making progress. Other indicators of progress are the planned extension of the levee path, the addition of bike lanes and new sidewalks to go into the Brightside Drive construction. In additon to that, many of the Green Light Plan projects include sidewalks. This is a problem that has been realized, and is one that most of us freely admit. We are not ashamed because we are doing what we can with what we got. We can't put down hundreds of miles of sidewalks overnight.

However, I honestly do not feel like we have a shortage of things to do for a city of 225,000. I am in my 60's and even I can find things to do. We may not be on the "cutting edge" as one poster put it, but we don't claim to be. I don't think you'll find very many "cutting edge" cities of 225,000 in the south.

Also, there are many good local restaurants, but if I told you where they are, it might be harder for me to get a table next time I go. Go hunting and see if you can find them. One that I will brag about is Don's Seafood. It's a little bit out of the way for South Baton Rougeans, but well worth the trip. Also, for amazingly fresh seafood, head to Tony's on Plank Road. There are countless other good places to find grub, though. Go out and sample. A good place to start on the hunt for a variety of good local restaurants would be Government Street.

Gosh...there is so much more to write. Anybody mind if I take a break and pick up where I left off later?

For now, I'll close with this: Are there places of a similar size (lets make the criteria 200,000 to 250,000 in city limits) that are so much better than Baton Rouge? Maybe. However I don't feel like this means that Baton Rouge is a place that should be criticized so harshly. Especially when the people doing it don't give me the impression that they have really explored the things that define Baton Rouge.
YOU ARE AWESOME!! Love all your points MetroBR!!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 PM

13 posts, read 34,049 times
One thing I love about BR...its a college town...yet its not JUST a college town. There are plenty of things to do there from arts, to bars and dancing, to sight seeing, eating, etc. Just go and find something that interests you!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
The thing is..it's not really the best college town...

Old 12-17-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
The thing is..it's not really the best college town...

Old 12-17-2010, 11:36 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
It has potential. How does Gainesville, Fayetteville, and Charleston and other college towns, esp in the SEC sompare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge