U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM
 
7 posts, read 24,954 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Possible move to BR from Houston at the end of the summer for husbands job. We are looking for a safe, upscale, family friendly (we have a 13 mo. old) neighborhood. Our price range is 350k-475k. I really do prefer the charm of updated older homes and not newer neighborhoods or suburban looking developments.
I would also like a location near the center of activities, restaurants, shopping, etc. I assume this would be closer to LSU but am not sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
 
270 posts, read 541,283 times
Reputation: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXto?? View Post
Possible move to BR from Houston at the end of the summer for husbands job. We are looking for a safe, upscale, family friendly (we have a 13 mo. old) neighborhood. Our price range is 350k-475k. I really do prefer the charm of updated older homes and not newer neighborhoods or suburban looking developments.
I would also like a location near the center of activities, restaurants, shopping, etc. I assume this would be closer to LSU but am not sure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I prefer 70817 zipcode. For my money its my favorite part of the city because it has a low crime rate. I would suggest talking to a realtor. A few good sites that I am not affiliated with to look at homes in your price range are:

www.agent225.com
www.latter-blum.com
www.kw.com

Have a blessed day
Welcome to Lousiana!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Denver
15,299 posts, read 22,621,835 times
Reputation: 10807
I worked in a house in The Settlements at Willow Grove (or just Willow Grove) today. Beautiful homes, the development is in a suburban area although the entire development doesn't resemble a typical suburban subdivision.
The most upscale historic neighborhoods would be Beauregard Town and the Garden District.
In my opinion it may be harder to find a renovated home in an older neighborhood up for sale, many of the renovations in the area are currently lived in. You will find some new construction, however.
Interested in a condo?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 07:14 AM
 
7 posts, read 24,954 times
Reputation: 10
I really appreciate your responses. A condo is not realistic for us with two large dogs, a cat and a toddler. I will look into Beauregard Town and the Garden District. I keep reading about the neighborhoods off of Highland Road. Are these housing developments? Also, what about the neighborhood called Tara?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 08:19 AM
 
358 posts, read 654,033 times
Reputation: 539
Even though Highland Rd gets fairly 'suburban' as you go south from LSU campus, it's very pretty and would strike most as very charming and nice as far as suburbs go. Definitely worth a look.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: City of Central
1,845 posts, read 4,014,534 times
Reputation: 951
Highland Rd has housing developments and individual properties as well .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 AM
 
228 posts, read 404,424 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I worked in a house in The Settlements at Willow Grove (or just Willow Grove) today. Beautiful homes, the development is in a suburban area although the entire development doesn't resemble a typical suburban subdivision.
The most upscale historic neighborhoods would be Beauregard Town and the Garden District.
In my opinion it may be harder to find a renovated home in an older neighborhood up for sale, many of the renovations in the area are currently lived in. You will find some new construction, however.
Interested in a condo?
Why would the poster want a townhome with a price range of up to 475k?

I would however recommend The Settlements at Willow Grove. Beautiful upscale neighborhood that's about 60% completed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:26 PM
 
7 posts, read 24,954 times
Reputation: 10
I looked at the Settlement at Willow Grove online, and while quite beautiful, it does not seem to have the established feel that we are looking for. I think we would prefer an older neighborhood with lots of large trees, etc. Thanks again for the feedback. Any other suggestions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:36 PM
 
228 posts, read 404,424 times
Reputation: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXto?? View Post
I looked at the Settlement at Willow Grove online, and while quite beautiful, it does not seem to have the established feel that we are looking for. I think we would prefer an older neighborhood with lots of large trees, etc. Thanks again for the feedback. Any other suggestions?
You're going to be in for a rude surprise. The older homes are in the garden district and to be honest if you are looking for a safe area then you're going to have to narrow your search criteria. Baton Rouge has a serious crime problem (as well as high taxes and horrible schools) that has forced it's middle and upper middle class to flee to suburbs such as Prairieville in Ascension Parish.

Go to Baton Rouge news, sports and entertainment on The Advocate and look for the crime map. You'll see what parts of Baton Rouge you should avoid moving too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2012, 01:46 PM
 
7 posts, read 24,954 times
Reputation: 10
I didn't realize that crime was so bad. I appreciate the link to the crime map. What is your opinion of the neighborhoods close to LSU like University and College Hills?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:36 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top