Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend
 [Register]
Bend Deschutes County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

The California Mandarin's, Clementines i get at Grants Pass Walmart, sure are sweet & tasty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 01:22 PM

32,655 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Of course it is snowing. It is only April.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
........... I'm actually worried about my apple blossoms. They just started to bud out. Hoping this weather doesn't kill them off again, like the last 3 out 4 years we've lived in this house.
I usually get apples, pears, grapes, and cherries. Peaches and apricots are a little more iffy.

However, you can pretty much guarantee fruit if you put those old fashioned large Christmas tree lights in your fruit trees and turn them on any time the weather goes below freezing. They will produce enough heat to keep your blossoms from freezing.

I have my Christmas tree lights on a thermostat so they turn on and off automatically with the weather.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I usually get apples, pears, grapes, and cherries. Peaches and apricots are a little more iffy.

However, you can pretty much guarantee fruit if you put those old fashioned large Christmas tree lights in your fruit trees and turn them on any time the weather goes below freezing. They will produce enough heat to keep your blossoms from freezing.

I have my Christmas tree lights on a thermostat so they turn on and off automatically with the weather.
What a great idea! As long as this thread had headed that direction, I am hoping to plant a couple of each: Apples, Asian Pears, and Pears. Can I expect decent results in the Sunriver area?

Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
What a great idea! As long as this thread had headed that direction, I am hoping to plant a couple of each: Apples, Asian Pears, and Pears. Can I expect decent results in the Sunriver area?
Oops. Sunriver. I don't know. It is a heck of a lot colder in Sunriver than in Bend and you will get a lot more snow and ice. You've got a lot shorter growing season.

Pears seem to be well suited, because they bloom later than almost anything else, so they will escape the early spring freezes. Then, you must pick a variety that ripens early. I usually get Seckels, but it will freeze before the Bosc are ready to pick. Fortunately, Bosc isn't bother by light freezes, so as long as we don't get a deep freeze in the fall, I still get pears from the Bosc,

Gravenstein apples are early, in fact they are ripe in the summer, and they are tasty. I get fruit from the fuji, but it always freezes just before Granny Smith is ripe. They will survive a light freeze and still be good.

Yellow delicious always produces for me. Zestar is supposed to be a good early apple, but my tree is too young to produce fruit, so I don't know how well it will do in this area, yet. Yellow transparent produces tons of fruit, but the fruit isn't good and I make dog food out of it and feed the apples to my geese.

I get several varieties of cherries. The pie cherries are supposed to be the most cold resistant.

If you have sun, there are a lot of really good grapes that are very cold tolerant.

If you can catch BiMart just as the bare root fruit trees arrive, they sell really good ones. You can't wait because the best ones are sold out almost immediately. I think their bare root fruit trees are in the store right now. They don't sell any rare varieties, but will have some good old standbys.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:43 AM

722 posts, read 1,353,780 times
Weather lately has been nearly the same here in VA as Bend with clear weather chilly, even frosty nights and sunny warm afternoons. Looks like the next several days that will continue.

This is my first serious following of the Bend spring weather and so far the spring time there looks fine by me.

Bend has consistently colder nights than here in VA. As for the clouds and sun? so far this year (since Jan 1st) there have actually been a few more solid cloudy days here and a few more totally sunny days in Bend. Don't care about the colder weather in Bend and doesn't appear the winter cloud / sun is much different than what I am familiar with already.

All signs point to a relocation to Bend in the next couple years... last big thing will be finding some kind of interesting job there... that will likely be the biggest challenge... maybe I should start playing the lottery? probably about the same odds a finding a good job in Bend

Hope it continues nice here and there.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:03 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Today was the first day we actually opened up ALL the house and not just a door and window!

We had a nice soft breeze with temps in the low 70s... same for the rest of the week.

La Pine is a few degrees cooler than Bend (most of the time), so Bend will be in the mid 70s.

The cold nights here make for great sleeping. We turn the heat down to 60 at night and it is quite pleasant.
However, it actually gets cold in the house (in the mornings) in the summer when we don't turn the heat on at all.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,849 times
I think spring is finally here.................

Old 04-27-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I think spring is finally here.................
I suggest that you do not move your tomato plants outside.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:57 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Yesterday it was sunny & 86 in Grants Pass, southwest Oregon... Grants Pass Daily Courier -- Rogue River Web Cam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Bend