Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
We keep our gate closed always whether we're home or not. Dropping by without calling first is considered rude.
I agree. We screen our calls and do not answer the door often. We do not feel as though we are here to answer the whim of others.

It used to be, as you probably know, a ruse of thieves to knock on the door or ring you up to find out if there is a pattern to when you are home and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM

502 posts, read 985,450 times
I have to be careful in how I phrase my words as the forum masters do not like things too controversial...
Having said that, I wish to say that instead of taking the guns away from the law abiding citizens, the government would do better by removing from "the scene" the twisted criminals who break into people's cars, homes, property.

To make clearer - eliminate the twisted criminals. Not confiscature of firearms.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM

39 posts, read 73,701 times
Yes, mangodog, I agree, I am not into gun control either. I feel we could do a lot more towards lessening violence in our society with good healthcare (MENTAL AND PHYSICAL) and education for all than with gun control.

Hmmm....something else to research. I'll be planning on bringing both the rifle and the shotgun bequeathed to me by my father (as well as my new bow and arrows) - so I'll have to find out how to bring them over legally. Bad guys won't enjoy coming to my house - unhappily for them I'm a pretty good shot.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegeemaree View Post
Hmmm....something else to research. I'll be planning on bringing both the rifle and the shotgun bequeathed to me by my father (as well as my new bow and arrows) - so I'll have to find out how to bring them over legally.
Hawai'i firearms law is among the most restrictive in the country, including a ban on certain assault weapons and high-capacity pistol magazines, but the process of bringing firearms into the state is pretty simple as long as you are eligible to own or possess a firearm in Hawai'i. Within three days of the arrival of the guns on the Big Island take them to the Police Department nearest you to register them (unloaded, in a closed case, with no ammo). Locations and hours are listed at the bottom of the info page I've linked below.

If you subsequently sell the guns, you must submit to the police within 48 hours the appropriate paperwork to change the registration to the new owner.

Who is ineligible to own or possess a firearm in Hawai'i? Persons are not eligible to own or possess a firearm or ammunition in Hawai'i if:
Quote:
They are a fugitive from justice.

They are under indictment, have waived indictment or have been bound over to the circuit court for a felony, any crime of violence or illegal sale of any drug.

Have been convicted of a felony, any crime of violence or illegal sale of any drug.

Are or have been under treatment or counseling for addiction to or abuse of any dangerous, harmful or detrimental drug or alcohol.

Have been acquitted of a crime on the grounds of mental disease or mental disorder.

Have been diagnosed as having a significant behavioral, emotional or mental disorder or for treatment for organic brain syndromes.

Are younger than 25 and have been adjudicated by the family court to have committed a felony, two or more crimes of violence or an illegal sale of any drug.

Have been restrained by court order from contacting, threatening or physically abusing another person.
Firearm Registration

Old 12-20-2012, 12:02 PM

39 posts, read 73,701 times
Thank you Open D, as always, for your thorough answer! I, happily, do not have any issues at all to prevent me from owning a firearm so now I will just see what the legality is for getting them to the state - some areas you must ship them to an authorized arms dealer for pick up and some states you can just declare what they are ship them to yourself. It should not be hard to find out which one HI is.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
There's been a spate of home invasions on the Big Island. The commonality is that the crimes have been violent, the perpetrators have been either in their teens or early 20s, and the victims have been senior citizens. Hopefully, this isn't the beginning of a trend...
[URL="http://www.khon2.com/mostpopular/story/Elderly-Puna-woman-hospitalized-after-violent/VJQP_deiHU6LVbFw5J6HrQ.cspx"]Elderly Puna woman hospitalized after violent home invasion | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader[/URL]
[URL="http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/11568538/hawaii-island-police-seeking-suspect-who-used-stolen-credit-card"]Hawaii island police seeking suspect who used stolen credit card - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home[/URL]
In my career with a law-enforcement agency, home invasions can be reduced significanly by showing the US Flag at your house. Prospective perps see the flag and think to themselves that the occupants are far more likely to be armed that otherwise might be so.

Also, FBI data, collected over decades, indicates that the response that most often results in a "beneficial outcome", i.e. the potential victim escapes unharmed, and the perp is either deterred or captured, is armed (with a gun) resistance.

The response that more OFTEN results in the vicim being killed, is Passive Non-Resistance, so if you want to be safe, fly a flag and carry a piece (either on your person with a Concealled Carry permit or in the house available and accessible)

Also, as more and more people carry with a CC permit, criminals are flowing out to areas that are "safer" for them, i.e. less armed potential victims.

Pay no attention to the Clap Trap from the media, citizens carrying guns due to relaxed CC permit issuances has dramatcially reduced violent crime - especially manslaughter.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:45 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
So the original post was two years ago. Have home invasions continued to be a problem??

Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I'm in an area that had no home invasions until meth moved into the area. It appears that meth heads have their judgement severely compromised and no longer care about whether or not what they are doing is dangerous or reasonable.

If there is a lot of meth in the area, then I would guess that home invasions will continue t be a problem.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm in an area that had no home invasions until meth moved into the area. It appears that meth heads have their judgement severely compromised and no longer care about whether or not what they are doing is dangerous or reasonable.

If there is a lot of meth in the area, then I would guess that home invasions will continue t be a problem.
It is also instructive to note than when England instituted much more-rigorous gun control laws, Home Invasions when up dramatically, as criminals realized they now had a passive, de-fanged victim.

Hawaii shoud wake up and understand that "bad guys", be they crimiinals, terrorists or whatever, will always possess the means of your destruciton, froma rope, to a knife, to gallon of gasoline. The only questions is will you be a passive, unarmed victim, or an active, armed survivor.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
It is also instructive to note than when England instituted much more-rigorous gun control laws, Home Invasions when up dramatically, as criminals realized they now had a passive, de-fanged victim.
I'm not going to get into the gun control debate one way or another - I will say having lived in Europe, Japan, and Australia - the feeling of being safe when walking the streets is overwhelming in those areas compared to the US and even here in Hawaii.

With that said - you have some huge gaps you are leaving out of your statement regarding home invasions - specifically in the UK.

In 1988, the UK banned semi-automatic rifles - and in 1996, banned handguns. It is true, that in the period of about 1988 to about 1995, domestic burglary spiked a huge amount, more than doubling from the early 1980's to the mid 1990's. However, it is equally true, that after the spike in the mid-1990's, an equally impressive drop in home burglaries occured, falling in half from the mid-1990's to the same rate as the early 1980's.

I'll also take the UK rate of 0.04 (not a typo) of firearm related homicides per year per 100,000 people versus the US rate of 3.7 per 100,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island