Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:31 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Let me rephrase that, Open D.

Do you feel safe because there is not so much as a single gun on the island, or do you feel safe because the people living in and near your community are not criminal types? Because I am thinking that there are plenty of guns on Hawaii and you are still feeling safe, even though those guns exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 10:36 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You're right but Hawaii does not have a huge inner city gang drug problems that cities like Chicago deal with.
Oh, goody. Another non-resident trying to explain Hawaiian culture to us.

Quote:
BTW, murders are half what they were 20 years ago and decreasing in almost every major city except Chicago.
Meanwhile the total of all gunshot deaths, including accidents and suicide, continues to climb. It's already 30,000+ per year in the US, an average of 82 a day, and it has overtaken traffic deaths in 10 states. It's a huge problem that we've ignored far too long.

Simply stated, a clear majority of Americans, and a clear majority of NRA members want something done now to tighten up gun registration and regulation, and clearly Hawai'i has the best model available, because it has been proven effective over many years.

But if you want to debate that point further, again I suggest you take it to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Hawai'i has far less "gun culture" than most of the mainland, fewer guns per capita, closer regulations of the guns that are here, limited supply points to buy ammunition, which is very expensive, and the violence that does occur tends more to be of the fistfight variety than anything else.
I agree. Speaking of "culture" traditional Hawaiian weapons such as the various lei o manō (shark-tooth weapons) pictured below can be quite lethal in the right hands....

Old 12-23-2012, 01:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,750,953 times
I wasn't trying to start a debate on gun control. I just wondered if home invasions had continued to be a problem. Since no one answered, I guess no one knows. Happy Holidays.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,053,409 times
Quote:
Oh, goody. Another non-resident trying to explain Hawaiian culture to us.
Seems to be an epidemic lately, eh?

Quote:
But if you want to debate that point further, again I suggest you take it to the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:14 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I wasn't trying to start a debate on gun control. I just wondered if home invasions had continued to be a problem. Since no one answered, I guess no one knows. Happy Holidays.
There has been at least one home invasion on the Big Island this year and a few Oʻahu. Oftentimes, they're classified as "burglaries", "robberies", "assaults", etc. since separate "home invasion" statistics aren't really kept in Hawaiʻi.
Armed home invasion in upper Waiakea Uka*|*Big Island Video News
Medical marijuana stolen during home invasion robbery | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader
Alleged gunman charged in Waipio home invasion - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Teen held in Waikiki home invasion robbery - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Man charged in connection with Waipahu home invasion | KHON2 Hawaii's News Leader

Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I just wondered if home invasions had continued to be a problem. Since no one answered, I guess no one knows.
OK, I'll take the bait ("since no one answered ... no one knows"]. Home invasions are not a common problem in Hawaii. They do occasionally occur, but they are not on the forefront of Hawaii crime problems. Crime happens in Hawaii, just like it does in other states. We are not unique ... we do not claim to be "crime free". But for the average resident, worrying about a "home evasion" is not even on our radar.

Meanwhile, one of the cases in the OP has a new development: "It appears that a plea deal has been made in the case of a 20-year-old Hawaiian Paradise Park man who allegedly invaded a neighbor’s home and brutally attacked and burglarized her a little more than a year ago." It seems that assault could have happened anywhere in the U.S., to whoever had the unfortunate luck of living nearby to where that man was living at the time.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:00 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,301 times
Quote:
clearly Hawai'i has the best model available, because it has been proven effective over many years.
I don't know why people that understand that Hawaii is culturally very different from the rest of the US would somehow presume that only gun laws affect this difference in gun-related crimes, and that that different culture has nothing to do with it. So odd.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:54 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,072,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I don't know why people that understand that Hawaii is culturally very different from the rest of the US would somehow presume that only gun laws affect this difference in gun-related crimes, and that that different culture has nothing to do with it. So odd.
I find it odd as well.

Last edited by Robin Rossi; 12-25-2012 at 08:02 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Again, FBI crime statistics tell us that the best and safest (for the potential crime victime) response to a criminal asauult is armed resistance with a firearm, no ifs, ands or buts about it.
Do you have a source link for this FBI advice? I'm interested to take a look.

That just seems like that would be odd for the FBI advice to arm yourself.

I'd think the US having one of the highest firearm murder rates in the world would have the FBI being cautious on that.

Did you know that of industrialized nations, the US is #2 in rate of gun deaths. Only Mexico beats us. Yay us.

This is not a pretty story:

America's Gun Problem In One Chart - Business Insider
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island