Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

281 posts, read 256,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
I dont understand why people feel they SHOULD be allowed to build unpermitted when they come to Hawaii? The rules are to have a permit and coming into someone elses place of living and deciding you don;t want top play by the rules is down right unneighborly.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
I dont understand why people feel they SHOULD be allowed to build unpermitted when they come to Hawaii? The rules are to have a permit and coming into someone elses place of living and deciding you don;t want top play by the rules is down right unneighborly.
While I appreciate the spirit of what you say -- and in which you say it -- there are actually a hell of a lot of really great reasons why the limitations of the building codes and zoning regulations are unfair ... downright insane, in some ways. There are many ways to build many alternate kinds of living spaces that are far more sensible, more environmentally sound, and less expensive and complex that what prescriptive codes demand. America is a free country in theory only.

I do not advocate for "anything goes". I do advocate for creative and alternative lifestyle consideration by government. And no, by "alternative lifestyle" consideration, I do not mean it should be okay to endanger or offend one's neighbors.

Basically, the kinds of structures we force ourselves to live in are not very sensible at all ... they are prescribed based almost entirely on traditions, the origins of which have long ago been obscured -- and which origins re-examined would be found ridiculous.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Quote:
Absolutely!

They don't do it in the their current neighborhoods - why do they think it is OK to do so here?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM

281 posts, read 256,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
While I appreciate the spirit of what you say -- and in which you say it -- there are actually a hell of a lot of really great reasons why the limitations of the building codes and zoning regulations are unfair ... downright insane, in some ways. There are many ways to build many alternate kinds of living spaces that are far more sensible, more environmentally sound, and less expensive and complex that what prescriptive codes demand. America is a free country in theory only.

I do not advocate for "anything goes". I do advocate for creative and alternative lifestyle consideration by government. And no, by "alternative lifestyle" consideration, I do not mean it should be okay to endanger or offend one's neighbors.

Basically, the kinds of structures we force ourselves to live in are not very sensible at all ... they are prescribed based almost entirely on traditions, the origins of which have long ago been obscured -- and which origins re-examined would be found ridiculous.
You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but I think the vast majority of people appreciate the sanity, orderliness etc., that such laws bring to a community. Most people neither want to live in, or have their neighborhood deteriorated by non-standard structures such as geodesic domes. They are a novelty, but not a solution.

Do you have any examples of how our contemporary housing is "not very sensible" or "ridiculous"?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
I think it is irresponsible for anyone to suggest people should knowingly break the law and do things are illegal - it is the path to least resitance to suggest breaking the law when you don't have to suffer the potential consequences.

Get the permits. Build to code. If you can't afford to do it the right way - then one needs to rethink why they are in Hawaii.

And if you disagree with the laws and building codes in place - then talk to your representative - do a petition - elect representatives that are more aligned with your thinking.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Nullgeo, if you don't like the laws in Hawaii, then go somewhere that has laws that let you do what you want to do. Otherwise, if you are living in Hawaii, then it is your responsibility to abide by the laws in Hawaii.

You complain about the fact that structures are built a certain way based on "ridiculous traditions", but that is the way of life in Hawaii. Honoring the traditions of the past is a big part of many facets of everyday living. That's something that so many people who want to move here don't understand. It's one reason that living in Hawaii is WAY different than just about any other state.

By your way of thinking, if you don't like the speed limit on a certain road -- it's not sensible -- then you can go whatever speed you think would be ok?

Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Overall, the building codes aren't as restrictive as many folks think. There are some restrictions in them, though, that I wouldn't mind seeing done differently and you can always apply for a variance if there is something in the code which doesn't agree with you. That, of course, isn't the least expensive option, but if expense was your only concern at this point in time you'd be buying an already built structure since it's cheaper.

What I find more restrictive and extremely foolish are the ZONING codes. True, nobody wants a pig farm next to a lot of houses or a school, but the zoning codes don't allow for a walkable village. They zone big tracts of land as all one type of zone and don't allow for houses, shops, small farms and other mixed uses within easy walking distance. What with the price of transportation these days, wouldn' it be nice to have a viable corner store again? Small mainstreets with sidewalks, shops and parks within walking distance of houses? The only true walkable towns we have were laid out before they zoned things.

Which is an un-noticed expense when living in those un-permitted cabins off in the back of nowhere. It is really expensive to drive to town to get supplies. What you may initially save in buying or building something off away from everything will nibble at you forever after with fuel expenses to get supplies and face time with friends.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Probably because like somebody already pointed out, there are over a thousand unpermitted homes in Puna. If you like gambling, you move to Vegas. That's where the gambling is. If you like unpermitted structures, you move to Puna. That's where the unpermitted homes are. I don't agree with this line of thinking, but I understand it. It especially doesn't make any sense right now, since you can buy a fully permitted home on acreage for less money than you could buy just the building supplies for an unpermitted home.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM

3 posts, read 23,468 times
PacificF & FLAME, really?? This isn't Maui. HALF OF THE BIG ISLAND has something unpermitted! --Anything over 6 feet? No permit? It's illegal. --Get real. (I'm sure you're the perfect neighbors & stewards of the land... /sarcasm)

To the rest of you, MAHALO for your good suggestions!!

Last edited by ponopony; 01-17-2012 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Also, "pono" is doing what's right and if you are planning on building an unpermitted structure, then you'll probably need a new username. Kalohepony perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: