Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I dont understand why people feel they SHOULD be allowed to build unpermitted when they come to Hawaii? The rules are to have a permit and coming into someone elses place of living and deciding you don;t want top play by the rules is down right unneighborly.
Amen, I'm not from Hawaii. However, because I have visited the state six times, I do read this forum because I intend at some point to travel to Hawaii again.

My question is why do any Hawaii residents give advice, aid, and comfort to someone who wants to come to their state, contribute virtually nothing, and live like a bum? "Living off the grid" is just slang for being a bum who doesn't want to pay taxes or fees or comply with building codes. Those codes are there for a reason. They are there to promote health an sanitation and allow other homeowners to maintain their property values. I realize some people just want to be "neighborly" and help out someone who appears to be in distress. My advice give them no encouragement to move until they have the financial resources to provide properly and legally for themselves. You aren't doing anyone any favors by doing otherwise.

Anyone moving to Hawaii or any other state ought to be prepared to play by the rules. If you want to build a home than get the permits to do it. If you don't want to build than bring enough money with you to either buy a residence or rent one. I'm not snobby. I support the right of any person to move anywhere in this country as long as they can afford the cheapest apartment or housing that is being operated in a legal manner.

I strongly encourage all residents of the "Aloha State" to bear this in mind when they respond to these kinds of posts.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:41 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
1) Yes, every parcel of land has an address.
This is not correct. Undeveloped land does not have a Postal Address (or Street Address) until someone applies to have one assigned. Yes, there is a Tax Map code associated with every parcel, but not an address, and in rural areas vast swaths of land have no assigned address.

I bought an undeveloped lot, with no assigned address, that had never had electricity, but which once had a phone installed to a trailer. The service address listed by the phone company or that installation was Map XXXX Pole #5.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
What's wrong with requiring a fire sprinkler system in new residences - that one actually sounds like it makes sense.
The main issue is that it adds thousands of dollars to the cost of construction, in a state where the shortage of affordable housing is already a major issue. Second, the value of a sprinkler system in a multi-story apartment dwelling is obvious, but it's not nearly so obviously a worthwhile investment for a single story home, where everyone can just go outside in case of a fire.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM

281 posts, read 256,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Amen, I'm not from Hawaii. However, because I have visited the state six times, I do read this forum because I intend at some point to travel to Hawaii again.

My question is why do any Hawaii residents give advice, aid, and comfort to someone who wants to come to their state, contribute virtually nothing, and live like a bum? "Living off the grid" is just slang for being a bum who doesn't want to pay taxes or fees or comply with building codes. Those codes are there for a reason. They are there to promote health an sanitation and allow other homeowners to maintain their property values. I realize some people just want to be "neighborly" and help out someone who appears to be in distress. My advice give them no encouragement to move until they have the financial resources to provide properly and legally for themselves. You aren't doing anyone any favors by doing otherwise.

Anyone moving to Hawaii or any other state ought to be prepared to play by the rules. If you want to build a home than get the permits to do it. If you don't want to build than bring enough money with you to either buy a residence or rent one. I'm not snobby. I support the right of any person to move anywhere in this country as long as they can afford the cheapest apartment or housing that is being operated in a legal manner.

I strongly encourage all residents of the "Aloha State" to bear this in mind when they respond to these kinds of posts.
Excellent post. I made the same post on a thread about some ex-con who wanted to come to HI on a shoestring with his "girlfriend". HI should be doing all in its power to dissuade such dead-enders and encourage people of means and substance that will help grow the state (the economy).

For some reason, wanna-be peasants are attracted to the BI to inflict their "ride-a-burro, live in a tee-pe"e lifestyle on the rest of society.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The main issue is that it adds thousands of dollars to the cost of construction, in a state where the shortage of affordable housing is already a major issue. Second, the value of a sprinkler system in a multi-story apartment dwelling is obvious, but it's not nearly so obviously a worthwhile investment for a single story home, where everyone can just go outside in case of a fire.
Ya, go outside and watch it burn to the ground. Sheesh!!!!!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
I'm going to put it a bit differently than Flame - I always see on the news people and pets dying all the time who didn't make it out of the home - on the BI, it isn't like fire stations are around every corner.

A sprinkler in a NEW residence is a good idea - better to put it in new. I wouldn't agree with already built structures to have it done retroactively.

If you can't afford a new residence to code - you should'nt buy it. Buy something used.

It's just common sense for new residences to have a sprinkler system, especially in remote areas in Hawaii.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
Excellent post. I made the same post on a thread about some ex-con who wanted to come to HI on a shoestring with his "girlfriend". HI should be doing all in its power to dissuade such dead-enders and encourage people of means and substance that will help grow the state (the economy).

For some reason, wanna-be peasants are attracted to the BI to inflict their "ride-a-burro, live in a tee-pe"e lifestyle on the rest of society.
Again you use the terms "means and substance" ...
and again you suggest that "grow[ing] the state" is a good thing ...
and again you refer to simplistic lifestyles as an "inflict[ion]" on society.

So you apparently feel that money is the primary measure of peoples' worth ...
and that inflicting growth on a state with extreme geographic and economic limitations is a lofty goal, even if that means the destruction of the cultural base of Hawai'i ...
while also defining what is an acceptable lifestyle in a free country?

In these things, you define yourself.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Good post. Excellent summation. It simply is not possible for a person of limited or modest means to rise to greater and greater financial demands. The result is to re-create a tacit culture of serfdom.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Again you use the terms "means and substance" ...
and again you suggest that "grow[ing] the state" is a good thing ...
and again you refer to simplistic lifestyles as an "inflict[ion]" on society.

So you apparently feel that money is the primary measure of peoples' worth ...
and that inflicting growth on a state with extreme geographic and economic limitations is a lofty goal, even if that means the destruction of the cultural base of Hawai'i ...
while also defining what is an acceptable lifestyle in a free country?

In these things, you define yourself.
Yes, I did, I meant it, mean it, and stand by it.

Also, growing the state's economy IS a good thing, if not a GREAT thing - you'e the only one who can't or refuses to see that.

Money is one, if the not the principle way, score is kept in society. Now, of course, there are exception, such as nuns, and priests etc., but basically people pay you money for providing value to society and don't pay you if you don't. However, I must assert that I am speaking of the real world where real people, work, live, grow intellectually and financially. Not a make believe world of Tee Pee dwellers thinking they are saving the planet, if not the solar system, or perhaps the Universe, by living "small".

Are you really sure that the Cultural Base of the state doesn't need some improvement? It's in a shambles, in many ways, if you ask me. New blood, new ways of thinking and doing things are necessary. The islands have improved from a primitive land of a near-tribal nature, to a first-world existence. but the education system is dismal, and the economy needs a broader base.

Please note, I am not speaking of population numbers when I say grow the economy. I would have hoped that would have been obvious, but obviously not.

I told you once and I will tell you again, society can't go backwards - hell it can't just stand still. It, and people must ever be moving forward. It is known as progress, and if you get in its way, it steamrolls you.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:49 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
"Living off the grid" is just slang for being a bum who doesn't want to pay taxes or fees or comply with building codes. Those codes are there for a reason. T
Not always true. I know people who have had their house built, following each and every rule on the books, and had it built so that they are now living off the grid. They still pay taxes and complied with all the building codes. However, they are now a much smaller drain on our natural resources. While I am sure that some do things in the way you speak of and for those reasons, not all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: