Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
Lava zone, coqui frogs , albizia trees or is the distance to Walmart that makes it so cheap.
I am not a realtor, but I know that there are several important aspects to real estate. They are, in order of importance

Location, Location, and finally, Location!

If any one of those three is seriously flawed, well you're pretty-much screwed until plate tectonics can bail you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 20,298 times
I hope you succeed with your adventure! We are also from the Bay Area and trying to achieve a transition to Big Island life, but we have elementary school age kids and want to be in a good walking neighborhood, so it's been a difficult fit thus far.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:31 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
1/2 acre for under $5k is actually pretty expensive on the big island. You can get a full acre in HOVE for 5k. There are still some 3 acre lots in Fern Forest for 12k... you might be able to get them down to 10K. And at least in FF there will be some vegetation.

BUT you need to see them first. There are some beautiful lots in Nanawale at great prices. But buying a 5K lot that needs 8K worth of albizia removal may not be a bargain in the long run. These trees are dangerous- not like you can go buy a chainsaw and do it yourself.

You are right that there are some great land deals on the big island and you've taken the first step by beginning your research. Keep going and you'll find your chunk of paradise.
I didn't realize lots could be bought that cheaply!!!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:44 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Usually isn't it a quarter acre lot for under $5K? Full acre lots are usually a bit more since the neighbors are further apart.

There are a lot of reasons why they are that cheap, but buy a few and find out.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:14 PM

47 posts, read 129,533 times
Do you guys know if Kauai st. In mountain view is a place to be avoided? There's a cheap tiny house listed over there I've been looking at online.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:59 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,976 times
Scottfree, I cannot answer your question, but I'm going to post one of the mottos for Hawaii real estate:
Never buy or sign a lease sight unseen!

Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
Do you guys know if Kauai st. In mountain view is a place to be avoided? There's a cheap tiny house listed over there I've been looking at online.
This reminds me of a house we looked at online. Looked perfect. It was a beautiful home and the price was great. The landscaping around this home was absolutely stunning. When we looked at it in person it was a long way off pavement over rough roads. There was what looked like a junkyard on the adjoining property. Since the photos were taken pigs had completely destroyed the landscaping and left huge wallows that filled with breeding mosquitoes. The appliances, water pump, and some other items had been stolen. It seems like every house we looked at told a similar tale. When we finally did find a home that looked like it's online representation and made an offer on it, we discovered that most of it didn't have permits and the bank wouldn't loan on it. We did eventually find our dream home in paradise. But you won't be able to do that until you get your slippahs on the cinder.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:23 PM

47 posts, read 129,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
This reminds me of a house we looked at online. Looked perfect. It was a beautiful home and the price was great. The landscaping around this home was absolutely stunning. When we looked at it in person it was a long way off pavement over rough roads. There was what looked like a junkyard on the adjoining property. Since the photos were taken pigs had completely destroyed the landscaping and left huge wallows that filled with breeding mosquitoes. The appliances, water pump, and some other items had been stolen. It seems like every house we looked at told a similar tale. When we finally did find a home that looked like it's online representation and made an offer on it, we discovered that most of it didn't have permits and the bank wouldn't loan on it. We did eventually find our dream home in paradise. But you won't be able to do that until you get your slippahs on the cinder.
THanks I was thinking as much. The one I saw first was only 500 sq ft so I thought it might be unpermitted. This particular one was around $39k. There are a few other bigger places on that street. A little fixing up would be fine with me though as long everything was legal and the neighborhood wasnt too sketchy. The house next door to us here was busted for being a meth lab and we live in a pretty good place so I'm not one of those that trembles at exaggeration. Just dont want any cannibals to make off with my children.

Sorry this was probably wasnt the best place to ask about mountain view. I realize its a little off topic. Im going to try and visit for a few weeks in may and scope out the areas of mountain view, volcano, keaau, and pahoa. Also probably laupahoehoe. Kauai was my dream place but its just too expensive and big suprise I didnt get the police job I did all the tests for last year.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
If the property is zoned agriculture, then the 500 square foot structure may not need a permit as long as it is used as a storage building. There are some new laws about the sizes of buildings that can be built without a permit. Still, no permit, no bank loan.

Still, there is a so much difference between areas on the island that you really can't find the one that fits you best without being here for awhile. Actually, there is a lot of difference within the areas. Moving over and renting something for six months would give you a much better chance to find the perfect spot. Yes, you could probably find someplace online - but if it is a good spot or not would be purely a matter of luck and as other posters have noticed, things on Craig's List aren't always as they seem. Even real estate sites aren't correct. I saw one last week where the real estate pictures were years out of date. Google Earth was out of date, too.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
THanks I was thinking as much. The one I saw first was only 500 sq ft so I thought it might be unpermitted.
Not necessarily. The minimum permittable size for habitation is something like 240 sq ft. of free floor space. In other words, not counting counters, etc. It's been done legally with a single 40' shipping container, which has a gross area of 320 sq. ft.

But you definitely want to check the documentation. The county estimates there are about 1,000 houses in Puna which do not have permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island