Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times

Advertisements

Don't forget, even cheap land and houses should have at least liability coverage. Make sure your regular homeowner's insurance covers it, or look into a separate policy. [And don't think that posting "private" or "no trespassing" will stop a lawsuit.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM

5 posts, read 7,506 times
Question Small Home on Kauai St

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfree00 View Post
Do you guys know if Kauai st. In mountain view is a place to be avoided? There's a cheap tiny house listed over there I've been looking at online.
Hi Scottfree00,
I am interested in the same home and wondering if you found out any more info. I'm not worried about us competing on it, I figure that if its right for you it probably wouldn't have worked for me. Maybe we can help each other out if we are both looking for the same type of property. If you could let me know any details you find out; or if you actually make it out there to look at it and decide not to buy give me a quick heads up on the condition, etc. I would appreciate it.

There is a realtor who has been recommended on this forum called Cynthia: I would like to talk to her but can't find out contact info. She was simply highly recommended and I'm not sure what realty or town she works out of. If anyone could pass on this info I'd be very grateful.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM

47 posts, read 129,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa In Colorado View Post
Hi Scottfree00,
I am interested in the same home and wondering if you found out any more info. I'm not worried about us competing on it, I figure that if its right for you it probably wouldn't have worked for me. Maybe we can help each other out if we are both looking for the same type of property. If you could let me know any details you find out; or if you actually make it out there to look at it and decide not to buy give me a quick heads up on the condition, etc. I would appreciate it.

There is a realtor who has been recommended on this forum called Cynthia: I would like to talk to her but can't find out contact info. She was simply highly recommended and I'm not sure what realty or town she works out of. If anyone could pass on this info I'd be very grateful.

Not sure what I'm gonna do. It would be easy to buy one of the cheap houses or lots and it would be a starting point but ultimately the big island isnt where I want to be. Well actually I cant say that for sure. I've never been. I need to make a visit as soon as I can. If you get there before me let me know if you like the area.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 16,859 times
Hmm, well we will start setting aside funds for a move, whether that is to rent or buy, we will have to figure it out Thanks for all the responses!

Old 04-02-2013, 03:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
For what it's worth, I think the return to the point of origin percentage is much higher for folks who buy sight unseen. Until folks visit and get a feel for the place, they can make some horrendous mistakes. If one is merely renting, relocation is easy enough. If one has ended up somewhere inappropriate and has bought the place, relocating is a bit more difficult.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
For what it's worth, I think the return to the point of origin percentage is much higher for folks who buy sight unseen. Until folks visit and get a feel for the place, they can make some horrendous mistakes. If one is merely renting, relocation is easy enough. If one has ended up somewhere inappropriate and has bought the place, relocating is a bit more difficult.
Great Advice.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,344,334 times
It's doable, for sure. But do you WANT to do it, that's the question? There are a lot of very good reasons why land may be cheap in certain areas, and you essentially do get what you pay for. Living a Daniel Boone sort of lifestyle is hard work, and requires a lot of sacrifices. What looks good on paper will look very different after 6 months of the noisiest little frogs you ever heard, vog, and quite a few more things. Culturally, you will find Hawaii very different too, and truthfully Puna was never my cup of tea. We did like Hilo, but the housing costs and lack of doctors, not to mention crazy food prices are what made us leave, and I doubt we will ever return. The numbers just don't work.

At least living on your own property would solve one of our pet peeves about Hawaii. It is so pet unfriendly, among other things. I can't tell you how many housing ads state "no pets, no county housing, no this, no that". Hey, at those prices, they should be grateful that anyone will bite. What is a little cat going to hurt? We couldn't even have one in the two condos that we owned. Nuts to that. At least you'll have the frogs and mongoose (mongeese?) if you go out in the boonies to live.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:38 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
For those who read this thread during their "research", keep in mind that not everyone will love (or even like) it in Hawaii. You'll need to read closely to see if the "minuses" will even apply to you, or if you can work through them somehow.

For example, food prices might not be controllable, but your spending choices are. So if you shop with price in mind, you can budget well for food. If someone is thinking of moving to Hawaii, don't let that issue scare you off.

And, I do see why many landlords exercise their choice to not allow pets. It is amazing how problematic some of the rental houses nearby us have been, due to the lack of responsibility that some pet owner show. The sad reality is that when you see that as an observer, it makes you really think about not wanting to ever be the landlord of a renter with pets.

Matter of fact, there are some homeowners insurance policies that specifically have an "animal exclusion" that must be signed annually by the homeowner. One company I know of has a short list of excluded breeds of dogs, and another company excludes all pets.

Meanwhile, there are many landlords who feel comfortable renting to pet owners, but it does make house hunting a bit harder trying to hook up with those.

In any case, it is not just a "Hawaii" thing ,,, it is a "renter's challenge" in every state.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM

419 posts, read 902,782 times
As a landlord and a pet owner I always advertise no pets. One irresponsible pet owner can cost you all the extra money collected from 5 resposible pet owners.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
........I What is a little cat going to hurt? ............
Apparently, you've never owned a bad cat, or a sick cat, or been inside a house where the cat owner does not take excellent care of his cat.

One little cat can do thousands of dollars worth of damage and stink up a house so badly that walls have to be torn out and flooring replaced and duct work torn out and replaced.

Maybe, OP, if you are so confident about your cat's behavior, you could give an extra $4,000 in security deposit to cover possible damage done by the cat.

Oh wait. Landlords in Hawaii can not charge a pet deposit. So, I guess you are just out of luck.

I suggest that you consider buying, and then all cat damage is yours to fix at your own expense.

(It wasn't just one cat, but my son purchased a house where it cost over $15,000 to repair damage done by the pets)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island