Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Sounds like a description of the hippy generation (who by the way many were baby boomers)
Yes, I see a superficial resemblance, but I think it would be a mistake to get stuck with that simplistic stereotype. Millennials are different from Hippies in significant ways.

One thing I see is that Millennials are hard workers, and ambitious, but they are ambitious for different things than older generations are. They don't want the big house full of stuff their parents had. They want to have a meaningful life, rather than a comfortable life. They expect employers to be straight shooters, and fair, and will move on in a heartbeat if they aren't treated that way.

Anyway, I'm no expert on the topic, and there is plenty of info out there on the nets for those who choose to peruse the subject. So I'm going back to helping the OP pack her suitcase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Things like toothpaste or other "essentials" cost about the same as the mainland. Or, if really that concerned ship them over via Amazon.
Or try drugstore.com

Old 04-15-2013, 11:07 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, I see a superficial resemblance, but I think it would be a mistake to get stuck with that simplistic stereotype. Millennials are different from Hippies in significant ways.
Agreed. Heck all those terms, such as Hippies, Millennials, Yuppies, Generation X ... they are all stereotyping unless referring to "time tables", and even those are not always uniform in different sources.

It reminds me of the stereotyping that happens here on C-D we read assumptions about the residents of Puna, or Hilo, or Kona .... lots of stereotyping goes on.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,939 times
Thumbs up Many mahalos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Or try drugstore.com
I just checked out their S&H for Hawaii and we actually get FREE shipping with a $25 purchase! As long as its under 20lbs. Woohoo!

Old 04-16-2013, 04:46 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raechul View Post
@annerk, thankfully we get our first bag checked for free, so that's what I was going to fill up. And again, I'm not going to be bringing an entire pharmacy with me.
Since you are only bringing one suitcase apiece, my suggestion is that before you go buy any supplies, you figure out how much room you will have left over once you pack all the clothes and personal items you plan to bring. You may be surprised to find you don't have as much room as you think.

Best way to do that is to do an actual dry run. Get everything together, and review it to be sure you have all that you'll need. Keep in mind that there are a very wide range of climate conditions on the island, from hot and dry to wet and cold. Think layers, with a good waterproof jacket to top it all off when needed, like when going to the volcano or out on a whale spotting boat. And don't forget at least one nice dressy casual outfit to wear when applying for jobs. Shoes, toiletries, it adds up fast.

Then when you are sure you have everything you want to bring in one place, try packing that suitcase. If you have room for extras, great. But if you don't, it would be a waste of money to buy things there that won't fit. And check the total weight on a bathroom scale. The first bag may be free, but most airlines ding you hard if you go over 50 pounds (or whatever your carrier may specify).

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
Perhaps I was overly broad in my criticism.
That's an understatement.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Lets hope for those needing social security checks in the future that this millennial generation does have some wage earners or that fund is going to go broke sooner than anticipated. Hence my general advice - some of you need to be more aggressive savers.
Living off the land is fine, but pretty impossible once you become aged. Working minimum wage jobs and making ends meet only because of a large garden--and no long term savings is not a good way to go through life. Even at 30.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
Wow OPEND, BEST POST EVER I think I have read so far on this hawaii forum I never read their original posts so dont remember it, but love the idea of woofing. Great experience.

I wont even bother to read the potential negative rebuttals between my post and yours lol. Nothing else needs to be said. It's THEIR LIFE. Not ours. No advice is bad advice, but give it once and if asked by the OP for clarification, respond, if not, then move on. I just don't understand those who sit by their computers and hit F5 all day to harp on every comment that comes through that doesn't fit in with theirs.

I dont' have to remind myself that certain events on the east coast today remind 'me' and 'some other people" the importance of living ones life as authentic as possible. Sometimes the 30 year plan is not the only choice for people.
It becomes everyone's business when they end up hungry and homeless and on the public dole because they are chasing rainbows and moving to a very, very expensive area with minimal savings, no jobs, and a pipe dream.

They would be much better off trying to pull off what they are trying to do in a place that is on the mainland, the cost of living is low, and the ability to move on if things don't work out doesn't require an expensive plane ticket.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Living off the land is fine, but pretty impossible once you become aged. Working minimum wage jobs and making ends meet only because of a large garden--and no long term savings is not a good way to go through life. Even at 30.
No doubt when age hits them, they will want to go back "on-grid" and avail themsevles of all the benefits the hard-working on-grdders bought and paid for.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:13 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It becomes everyone's business when they end up hungry and homeless and on the public dole because they are chasing rainbows and moving to a very, very expensive area with minimal savings, no jobs, and a pipe dream.

They would be much better off trying to pull off what they are trying to do in a place that is on the mainland, the cost of living is low, and the ability to move on if things don't work out doesn't require an expensive plane ticket.
I suggest Quartzite, AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island